Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
So my kinetic died last night. It was having some really odd behaviour, stuttering at certain mid-throttle levels and cutting out completely after less than 1 lap. I tried no-timing mode and replaced the sensor wire to no effect. Then after more fiddling it quit running altogether.

The LEDs are solid red+green which according to the instructions indicates signal harness. I've checked from the receiver plug to the underside of the Kinetic board where the signal harness header is soldered. All 3 wires check out at 0 Ohms. Also, the receiver works with another ESC. I can no longer connect via Novalink as well, so it would seem that the signal input has indeed failed even though the wiring checks out.

I bought it in March of 2011 so it's outside the warranty period. However, it only has about 10 race days of 21.5 and 17.5 blinky, so that's pretty disappointing. Last night was the first attempt at 17.5 boosted 1/12. I went through the Novalink Device Update and the ESC firmware update procedures which is about when it started flaking out, so I guess that may be related.

Contact Charlie, he is usually pretty quick to get back to you with a fix or alternate action at,

"[email protected]

Let me know directly if you have questions, and I'm glad to answer them directly.

[email protected] and I get all the [email protected] emails now as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What is coming nexT?

What can we expect after Kinetic,
Does anyone from Novak's Team can throw a light on?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kinetic with Xdrive, maybe...no motor limit....?????
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like the Kinetic is Discoed and the Havoc Pro SC is the king of the hill for a while at least. Kinda sad cause I loved being able to make my own throttle profile.... well that's what the 4PKS is for right

So I'm having an issue with ... well I think it's the can.. Have a Kinetic. on the 8.5 and 17.5 ballistic. NO ISSUES at all. But when I plug the 4.5 550 ballistic in... I get... what could only be discribed as a "power twitch." does the same thing to my Goat 3s Mid throttle it'll just momentarily punch it.. and I'm talking in Milliseconds... just POWER and back to the normal power curve.

Don't think it's a brown out cause I don't touch the steering servo and it does it.

What do yall think?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Company Representative

You can always email Charlie, [email protected] for personal assistance with trouble-shooting your set-up.

Originally Posted by ducatidesmo
Sounds like the Kinetic is Discoed and the Havoc Pro SC is the king of the hill for a while at least. Kinda sad cause I loved being able to make my own throttle profile.... well that's what the 4PKS is for right

So I'm having an issue with ... well I think it's the can.. Have a Kinetic. on the 8.5 and 17.5 ballistic. NO ISSUES at all. But when I plug the 4.5 550 ballistic in... I get... what could only be discribed as a "power twitch." does the same thing to my Goat 3s Mid throttle it'll just momentarily punch it.. and I'm talking in Milliseconds... just POWER and back to the normal power curve.

Don't think it's a brown out cause I don't touch the steering servo and it does it.

What do yall think?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ducatidesmo

What do yall think?

Thanks!
If you are using the novalink, check your throttle curve setting. I notice this same issue anytime I was using a custom throttle curve. I am not sure why, but it was like about mid throttle would be set really high, causing the motor to jump, then come back to normal. When I would switch back to the linear profile it would stop. Strange thing is this would happen for me with every motor I tried not just one particular motor. Just one other thing to check.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all
Have just fitted my kinetic & novak 17.5
Please Please help me set it to blinky mode
for stock racing

Many many thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by justchris
kinetic & novak 17.5, help me set it to blinky mode.
Just do the one touch set up. That will reset the speed control to factory default setting. This will be in "Blinky" mode. Note that the Kinetic does not blink. It will signify that electronic timing is being added by the white light. As long as the White light is not lit, the Kinetic is in "Blinky" mode.

Here is a link to Novak Kinetic track guide for further assistance.
http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...rack_guide.pdf

Here is how I have my Novak units set up for Sedan 17.5 Blinky. All numbers are in percent or hertz, not number of blinks.

Minimum Brake: 15
Drag Brake: 15
Minimum Drive: 3
Dead Band: 4
Brake Frequency: 2.25
Brake End Point: 80
Drive Frequency: 11

Novak Premium Ballistic 17.5 at 40 Degrees of static timing.
70-80 foot back straight, geared at 4.1 ratio.

Hope this helps.

Snowy.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry to look stupid.
The settings you have given above is that still classed
as blinky/sportsman class ?

Many thanks for the help.

Also i had it set in blinky and i didn't know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by justchris; 03-19-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i just got a novak edge speed control,and a ballistic 10.5 motor.but in the esc package came an extra cap,with a plug,looks like it plugs into the esc,but theres already a cap attached to the esc,and the instcructions dont show it at all,or say anything about it.has anyone seen this before,my esc and motor are running great,but ive just used it up and down the street,slowly,but dont wanna burn it it.thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedracer17
i just got a novak edge speed control,and a ballistic 10.5 motor.but in the esc package came an extra cap,with a plug,looks like it plugs into the esc,but theres already a cap attached to the esc,and the instcructions dont show it at all,or say anything about it.has anyone seen this before,my esc and motor are running great,but ive just used it up and down the street,slowly,but dont wanna burn it it.thanks.
I'm pretty sure there are no provisions on the speed control to "plug" in a extra cap, so what ever you do, don't put the cap on the speed control. The cap is probably a glitch buster that should plug into your receiver, but I would contact [email protected] just to make sure.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry to look stupid.

Yes, non blinky or SuperStock is where Dynamic Timing is added to the motor to make it have much more power. The other setting just make the ESC more suited to your driving style.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry to look stupid.

To add to this, if you think you need more punch, also consider changing your expo curve on your transmitter, -30 and down (-50 etc).
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Hi
How does expo adjustment give more punch ????
Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

It changes the throttle curve so your starting throttle position is more advanced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.