Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hoping to get a reply from Charlie

Hi Charlie, I've emailed you about my 2 kinetics getting really hot on v1.4 but runs ok on v1.3, could you email me back and let me know how we can fix the problem.

Thanks Andy.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
RPM values are stuck again I don't know if the link is the issue or what, but everything worked on tuesday. Then last night at the track was making some fine tuning adjustments and the rpm range would not take the new values. I tried all the tricks hitting return after each value, tabbing to the next box... still nothing. All the other values would change but not the RPM range. Which means it will only be a short time till the timing range refused to work too.

To say I am disappointed really is an understatement. Novak support has been great, but the quality of this ESC is just lacking. I have just about every brand of ESC out and none have had this many issues. I have tried to be patient and understanding as they work the bugs out.... but this is pushing 9 months and the word on the track is to stay away from the Orange nightmare! I like the fact that these are designed and built in the US. And that really weighs on my decisions. So I just recommend the Havok pro SC if someone id asking about Novak. I have seen the least amount of issues with these and you get about 90% of the functionality.
The fact is the kinetic has not been reliable. If I take it to a big race I want to know I can be reasonably certain that all its functions will work everytime I hook it up to the PC. Right now I can't.
Look for my post a few pages back about what worked to fix it for me and try it following each step.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by escman
30-45 degree is the timing on the motor.

Do not add the motor timing and the electrical timing, our software takes care of all that stuff.
When you select 55 degree of timing on the esc firmware in the esc accounts for the motor timing and applies the required electrical timing.
Static Timing on the motor and the electrical timing applied by the esc are the same.

25 degree on the motor and 35 in the esc is pretty normal, we a a few oval driver that use about 20 degree on the motor and 38-40 degree in the esc and they are doing very well with that setup.
The most important thing to remember is the motor temperature at the end of the run, it should be around 140-150 and once you stop it will go up as you no longer have any cooling air.
Adnan
Thanks Adnan, that was the answer I needed. Makes perfect sence now. I too would like to see an advance curve graph like the throttle and brake. I made an excel graph to better see the curve. The motor temp info was good also. The after run temp rise is mearly the higher internal temp bleeding off.

A 2000 start rpm seems pretty low if you are pulling the motor back to 15-20. What's the point if you are adding it right back in. I have been running over 17000 on the top end. As a percentage of the total rpm range, 2000 seems almost immediate. If pulling the timing back adds torque, wouldn't you want a start rpm just before the torque curve flattens out? You could set a high start rpm to a point where you feel the car lay down a bit and feel the dynamic kick in, and then gradually lower the start to where you have a smooth transition.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Greetings RC Tech Fans!

Please see the attached "How to fix your Cap" file. We have discovered that a number of the 5678 Trans Cap Modules had the power cap installed wrong. Some of these got installed onto ESCs as well. If you have the newere "Smaller Cap" Please check them very closely. The Red Side of the Capacitor, should actually be on the NEGATIVE side of the PC Board. DO NOT Switch the 16awg wires. The cap must be removed, flipped and re-installed. Novak will have an official update on this topic Monday. This is the quickest way I could get the info to you guys.

PLEASE, if you have questions at all on this topic, EMAIL ME DIRECTLY: [email protected]

Thanks!
Charlie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

For further clarification on what you're looking for.

The Cap on the Right is Correct. Note the Color on the cap and the wire it lines up with.
Attached Thumbnails Novak Kinetic-capacitor-right-correct2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Charlie

The Cap on the Right is Correct. Note the Color on the cap and the wire it lines up with.
just to chime in, what worked best for me was to cut the cap at the bends(just a little to small pulling out of the board)flip and resolder. you will need 3/4 shrink wrap to finish the job.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by C harlie

well,mine just blew 5 minutes ago,came on the thread to ask if I could wire a hi performance GTB cap on it when I read your update.Went to the trash to retrieve the cap and sure enough it was backwards. Odd thing is it has been running to much success since I bought it 2 months ago paired with a 17.5 SS novak and reedy 5400. 45c exclusively.The second I plugged in a 60c protek(brand new just got today in the mail and was advised on here it was safe to run) the cap blew.
Anyway,can I wire a GTB cap on? Kinda in a bind as I have round seven of TLR at OC/RC tomorrow. A tough find at hobby stores today.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by leebolt
well,mine just blew 5 minutes ago,came on the thread to ask if I could wire a hi performance GTB cap on it when I read your update.Went to the trash to retrieve the cap and sure enough it was backwards. Odd thing is it has been running to much success since I bought it 2 months ago paired with a 17.5 SS novak and reedy 5400. 45c exclusively.The second I plugged in a 60c protek(brand new just got today in the mail and was advised on here it was safe to run) the cap blew.
Anyway,can I wire a GTB cap on? Kinda in a bind as I have round seven of TLR at OC/RC tomorrow. A tough find at hobby stores today.
Yes you can use GTB cap module
Adnan
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by escman
Yes you can use GTB cap module
Adnan
thank you for the prompt reply
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

very pleased with the performance of my Kinetic ESC and Ballistic motor this past weekend at Carpet Nats, TQ and 2nd overall in the 21.5 class.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by skypilot
very pleased with the performance of my Kinetic ESC and Ballistic motor this past weekend at Carpet Nats, TQ and 2nd overall in the 21.5 class.
Congratulations on your success! Keep us posted.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Up in smoke

Well thats's my 2nd Kinetic that's gone up in smoke now, not to mention a dead brainboard on my replacement and a number of firmware issues along the way.

I don't think I can take this any more. I'm sorry Novak but I've been a loyal customer for the best part of 10 years and loved using your kit. But after 2 fires nearly taking out the rest of my car and expensive gear I give up!

My ESC settings hadn't changed from when I successfully ran the car a few months ago. I was on my second 5 minute run testing the car at the track, after waiting 20 mins and making some small setup changes. After 6 laps the braking went and I saw flames inside the car. I ran over and unplugged the battery and assessed the damage. It looks like a fire started on the Capacitor module but something was rattling inside the speedo.

I just can't count on this speedo anymore. I give up. Does anyone know if Novak offer refunds. I just want to be able to race. Back to the GTB for now.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Company Representative

We will work with you in any way you want to see that you are happy with our products. We can replace your esc for you with any other products you choose.

Contact [email protected] for assistance.

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
Well thats's my 2nd Kinetic that's gone up in smoke now, not to mention a dead brainboard on my replacement and a number of firmware issues along the way.

I don't think I can take this any more. I'm sorry Novak but I've been a loyal customer for the best part of 10 years and loved using your kit. But after 2 fires nearly taking out the rest of my car and expensive gear I give up!

My ESC settings hadn't changed from when I successfully ran the car a few months ago. I was on my second 5 minute run testing the car at the track, after waiting 20 mins and making some small setup changes. After 6 laps the braking went and I saw flames inside the car. I ran over and unplugged the battery and assessed the damage. It looks like a fire started on the Capacitor module but something was rattling inside the speedo.

I just can't count on this speedo anymore. I give up. Does anyone know if Novak offer refunds. I just want to be able to race. Back to the GTB for now.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We will work with you in any way you want to see that you are happy with our products. We can replace your esc for you with any other products you choose.

Contact [email protected] for assistance.
I have sent in an email. Support in the past has been flawless, I just don't know how much more support I want. I just want a working ESC and I'm not sure the Kinetic is what I want any more.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I have sent in an email. Support in the past has been flawless, I just don't know how much more support I want. I just want a working ESC and I'm not sure the Kinetic is what I want any more.
Charlie has responded to your email; I received a CC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.