Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Reduce the pain of application on a PC.. Pain is putting it lightly still wish you had a Mac version, or better yet an IPhone app!
What pain? It works fine.....
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
What pain? It works fine.....
They are referring to the installation process and firmware update not the actual functioning of the program.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by macdude
They are referring to the installation process and firmware update not the actual functioning of the program.
So am I
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

So am I
Well I believe the pain exists because at this point you should never have to manually move files around or unistall a program and then reinstall and update. As an example if you happen to have ever used castle's software, it will not only check for device updates (firmware) but will also check for new versions of the program and give you the option to download and install all with little user interaction. It will also allow you to use an older version of the firmware on you device and it does not complain that the firmware is incompatible with the new version of the software. Not saying its perfect, but from an ease of use stand point novaks is a Pain. I believe that in the next version or so they probably will have all the interface and firmware updates ironed out, but for now it's still a pain.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Suspended

Well I believe the pain exists because at this point you should never have to manually move files around or unistall a program and then reinstall and update. As an example if you happen to have ever used castle's software, it will not only check for device updates (firmware) but will also check for new versions of the program and give you the option to download and install all with little user interaction. It will also allow you to use an older version of the firmware on you device and it does not complain that the firmware is incompatible with the new version of the software. Not saying its perfect, but from an ease of use stand point novaks is a Pain. I believe that in the next version or so they probably will have all the interface and firmware updates ironed out, but for now it's still a pain.
If you have ever used a castle esc and a Kinetic esc back to back you would agree you cant compare the 2 when it come to performance.
Some people just have to come to terms with the fact that they are not very good when it comes to computers and/or they have trouble following directions.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

having run Speedpassion for a while (since it came out) I can tell you, every time there is a update or revision you have to uninstall, delete, or drag and drop something. thing is, hardly anyone cries about (anymore) so you wouldn't know.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you have ever used a castle esc and a Kinetic esc back to back you would agree you cant compare the 2 when it come to performance.
Some people just have to come to terms with the fact that they are not very good when it comes to computers and/or they have trouble following directions.
Yes I would agree that some are not very computer literate. However that is not the complaint. I never had a problem getting the software to work either, but the process is less than desirable. And since I have helped people with it I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about from a usability stand point. Installation is not easy, it is not user friendly and can and will be much smoother in the future. But for now it is not.
As for the controller themselves, the performance is pretty similar. I have done tons of testing with both. I run both pretty regularly, while I will agree that the processing power of the kinetic is more advanced than that of the castle there is a down side to that as the kinetic seems much more sensitive to things like updating with the battery connected. And lets not forget you have to pay a premium for the kinetic and novalink. That aside I think the controller has tons of potential, but for most I don't recommend it. I do however recommend the havok pro SC as that controller offers a lot of the functions for a much lower price point and zero computer knowledge.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
having run Speedpassion for a while (since it came out) I can tell you, every time there is a update or revision you have to uninstall, delete, or drag and drop something. thing is, hardly anyone cries about (anymore) so you wouldn't know.
This is pretty much the only controller that I have yet to try. Since horizon just bought Hobbywing (speed passion) I will probably be trying these out too. Have not seen their software yet.

How does it compare in feel to the kinetic?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well, I'm runnng a novak now......
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Been a while since I've posted my email, so here it is again:

[email protected] if you have any issues this forum doesn't address.

And yes, we're working making the installation process much more simple and strait forward.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Company Representative

Charlie's Theme Song
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
LMAO
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Not to be a pain, but I can read the specs listed on your site. I was more interested in the physical differences that prevented reversing the direction of the motor and limiting the current. As both these seem to me be like software things. And to be competitive I would expect the same functions with just a motor limit kind of like some other company that has a pro and non pro version of their controller that will remain nameless.
Kinetic spec will have the motor rotation selection, this feature is completely software function.

Current limiter is mostly hardware function, our current limiter implementation is a true pulse by pulse current limiter so it requires very high speed control loop, meaning it is not easy to do with software and then it would take most of the micro controller bandwidth.
We use the the PCB trace to measure the voltage drop caused by the current flow and to keep the system voltage drop very low the trace length is only 5mm long and that is 8 layers of 2 oz copper, this require a current sense amplifier that has a very low input offset voltage (very expense part).
To complete the circuit one needs a DAC and high speed comparator and then signal is fed into our PWM generator hardware that is in the Kinetic micro.
I am not aware of anyone else in the industry that uses such high speed current limiter to give you super smooth current control.

Adnan Khan
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Yes I would agree that some are not very computer literate. However that is not the complaint. I never had a problem getting the software to work either, but the process is less than desirable. And since I have helped people with it I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about from a usability stand point. Installation is not easy, it is not user friendly and can and will be much smoother in the future. But for now it is not.
As for the controller themselves, the performance is pretty similar. I have done tons of testing with both. I run both pretty regularly, while I will agree that the processing power of the kinetic is more advanced than that of the castle there is a down side to that as the kinetic seems much more sensitive to things like updating with the battery connected. And lets not forget you have to pay a premium for the kinetic and novalink. That aside I think the controller has tons of potential, but for most I don't recommend it. I do however recommend the havok pro SC as that controller offers a lot of the functions for a much lower price point and zero computer knowledge.
We are done with the writing the installer software and are in the process of testing the automatic installation software on different computer and operating systems, and yes it has a function to look for update on installation.
We are also working on simple graphic version to support the small notebooks.
All this takes lots of time and a whole lot of resources!
Adnan Khan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.