Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Team CRC Gen-XL

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is the KO 951 too big to fit the SPX behind it?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Not sure how the spx dimensions compare to the RS I'm running.

I'm running the 9650 as well. Not sure what servo they have mounted on the website genXL pics (JR?), but my tekin RS will not fit behind the servo "the long way"...it fits just fine "the short way".
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee

I'm running the 9650 as well. Not sure what servo they have mounted on the website genXL pics (JR?), but my tekin RS will not fit behind the servo "the long way"...it fits just fine "the short way".
the CRC pic i saw had a JR 3650. a 3650 is visibly shorter (shallower?) than 9650 but the KO is just slightly larger (from mfg's websites)
Dimensions (WxLxH):
ko951 0.59" 1.42" 1.21"
fut9650 0.59" 1.39" 1.12"
JR3650 .58" x 1.30" x 1.02"
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The RS fits with the 9650 but it a tight fit. I have wires running on both sides of the antenna.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe it's just me, but I found that if I mount my RS behind the servo in the middle of the chassis, the remaining receiver(spektrum micro), TQ booster, and spektrum cap could not balance the chassis left/right. The servo hanging over onto the right side puts too much weight on that side. I moved the RS back to the left side of the antenna mount, almost up against the battery, and put the receiver, booster, and cap on the right side behind the battery and the car is very balanced left/right now. Need a new design of servo with the output shaft in the middle of the case instead of off to one side. Then the servo could be mounted dead center on the chassis.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
KJR
Tech Rookie

Default Servo Fitment

Hi,
Got my Gen Xl last week and had a disastrous first outing. First problem I had was when using a Futaba 9650 servo the track rods would bind on the caster blocks. I had the servo pushed forwards and the spacer fitted to the servo mounts in order to get the track rods straight rather than angled towards the front of the car. I also fitted the front graphite brace which made the problem worse. Moving the servo backwards didn't solve the problem.

I eventually solved the problem by fitting the older graphite steering arms that are trailing so that the track rods were angled towards the rear of the car ?

Anyone else have this problem ?

Other advice I would give to people is to threadlock everything that screws into metal. First run all the side links pivot balls came loose. Second run the screw in the pivot ball came loose. Third run the screw holding the top plate to the pivot post fell out. Fourth run the steering arm pivot ball came loose. Fifth run one of the screws holding the graphite x in the rear pod fell out !!!

You might be beginning to see the sort of weekend I had !!

One unusual thing I noticed after I gave up for the weekend (I was having electronic problems as well) was that the chassis had been rubbing on the ground on the left side around the rear of the battery slots and front of the pod. Thought this was very strange given that ride height was at 3.5mm. Any suggestions as to why this might be ? Car was run clockwise with a large sweeper.

At times when I actually got a few laps before something came loose etc I thought the car had potential so I'm looking forwards to running it again.

Kenneth
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Maybe it's just me, but I found that if I mount my RS behind the servo in the middle of the chassis, the remaining receiver(spektrum micro), TQ booster, and spektrum cap could not balance the chassis left/right. The servo hanging over onto the right side puts too much weight on that side. I moved the RS back to the left side of the antenna mount, almost up against the battery, and put the receiver, booster, and cap on the right side behind the battery and the car is very balanced left/right now. Need a new design of servo with the output shaft in the middle of the case instead of off to one side. Then the servo could be mounted dead center on the chassis.
Yeah I had to add about 28 grams to balance out the chassis which put me at about 745 grams total for the car. It would be nice to see a center shaft on a servo.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KJR
Hi,

One unusual thing I noticed after I gave up for the weekend (I was having electronic problems as well) was that the chassis had been rubbing on the ground on the left side around the rear of the battery slots and front of the pod. Thought this was very strange given that ride height was at 3.5mm. Any suggestions as to why this might be ? Car was run clockwise with a large sweeper.
I lost a bulkhead screw last week and my car was all over the place. One corner of the chassis was rubbing the carpet 'cause it was all tweaked out in the corners (I'm guessing). Never had chassis rub before that.

Sounds like you got all your mechanicals done for the season in one day, hopefully!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

I lost a bulkhead screw last week and my car was all over the place. One corner of the chassis was rubbing the carpet 'cause it was all tweaked out in the corners (I'm guessing). Never had chassis rub before that.

Sounds like you got all your mechanicals done for the season in one day, hopefully!
Just drive through the tweek. The lower pod plate on my car is warped causing a .75 mm ride height difference side to side and I still managed to TQ. Just wait until the 28th when I have a flat lower pod plate on the car.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkdut
Yeah I had to add about 28 grams to balance out the chassis which put me at about 745 grams total for the car. It would be nice to see a center shaft on a servo.
ouch, couldn't you just place the receiver and esc together (between the servo and antenna mount, and then shuffle the pair left/right to get a balanced system?
in order to get a balanced system in the end with the receiver and esc on opposite sides of the antenna mount i have had to move the receiver outboard from the antenna to offset the esc weight. the esc weight would more than make up for the offset servo.

it seems to me that in the end you should not need any weight to balance left/right.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
ouch, couldn't you just place the receiver and esc together (between the servo and antenna mount, and then shuffle the pair left/right to get a balanced system?
in order to get a balanced system in the end with the receiver and esc on opposite sides of the antenna mount i have had to move the receiver outboard from the antenna to offset the esc weight. the esc weight would more than make up for the offset servo.

it seems to me that in the end you should not need any weight to balance left/right.
Yeah I may end up rewiring the car this weekend. If I do it correct I should be able to get away with only adding 14 grams which I will put next to the servo and then use the rest of the electronics to balance the chassis.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a question about how the servo is mounted. The kit comes with brackets to mount the servo at an angle so the steering links angle up, from the servo saver toward the wheels. I've also seen pictures with the servo flat and the servo saver turned over and the steering links flat toward the wheels.

My question is, what is the difference in handling between these two setups?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys the CRC body that I have is the AUDI R8C and it has dimples to show you where to drill the holes for mounting, which set of dimples do you use for the GEN XL. Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
avs
Tech Master

sorry if this has been asked, i couldn't find it:
looking at the pictures i don't see how the battery retention works. the positioner(s) locate the front or rear of the battery and the oring and chassisplate locate top and bottom.

but what locates the battery on the left and right sides and the side opposite the positioner (front side when battery is forward)?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
sorry if this has been asked, i couldn't find it:
looking at the pictures i don't see how the battery retention works. the positioner(s) locate the front or rear of the battery and the oring and chassisplate locate top and bottom.

but what locates the battery on the left and right sides and the side opposite the positioner (front side when battery is forward)?
For lipo, the plastic stand-offs locate the batt from side to side, and the plastic football locates the back (assuming battery in back position). Mine can move only a very slight amount, and it doesn't seem to be anything you can notice.

Some folks use a wrap of battery tape to further secure the position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.