Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried Windex at one point, but didn't seem to stay tacky.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think I tried a similar window cleaner too and it didn't work as well. I suppose only "all purpose cleaners" and "kitchen cleaners" work?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would think that there would be some more harmful cleaners that would work well, but I don't want chemical burns on my hands.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Simple green worked great for cleaning and maintaining OFF-ROAD tires. I used it especially for Losi Pink compounds on a damp high bite clay track. Did not use it for traction compound, however. Used Zip-Free for that.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

what everyone is looking for is the end all be all tire cleaner/traction compound. you are close with Simple Green but what you need to look for and find is Complicated Green, this stuff works great on all rubber tire compounds as both a cleaner and also as traction compound
Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Complicated Green... you sir are an ass... at least you are a funny one
Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

I reckon the MM tire cleaner is Simple Green watered down,
Cheers Malc TCCFM
Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Simple Green v Paragon FxII

I have been using mostly Muchmore 32's unless the weather is over 30degrees Celcius because of their ability to be on pace straight away without the need for any extra tyre treatment.

I had tried Sorex36's but I found they needed 2-3 laps to get up to speed and with our close racing that was too much of a disadvantage to try and make up.

I tested Simple Green over the weekend on a day where I would normally use the MM32 and I found that it did help my car grip up more at the beginning of a run. I noticed more grip straight away than I would normally have, and then I did notice when it went away and normal tyre grip took over.

I also kept an eye on another car that does the same speeds as I do but he uses Paragon on his tyres. He had a little better grip than I did at the start for about 6 or 7 laps, then it looked like the paragon gave way to natural tyre grip in a similar way to the Simple Green did (only the Paragon lasted 6-7 laps, not 2-3 laps).

What I did notice is that my tyres kept up their speed for the whole run, but others (on Paragon) fell away toward the end. I am just guessing but does the Paragon seem to cause too much harm to the tyre and thats why the tyres give away at the end of a run?

Ben
Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by auzzy_mate
I have been using mostly Muchmore 32's unless the weather is over 30degrees Celcius because of their ability to be on pace straight away without the need for any extra tyre treatment.

I had tried Sorex36's but I found they needed 2-3 laps to get up to speed and with our close racing that was too much of a disadvantage to try and make up.

I tested Simple Green over the weekend on a day where I would normally use the MM32 and I found that it did help my car grip up more at the beginning of a run. I noticed more grip straight away than I would normally have, and then I did notice when it went away and normal tyre grip took over.

I also kept an eye on another car that does the same speeds as I do but he uses Paragon on his tyres. He had a little better grip than I did at the start for about 6 or 7 laps, then it looked like the paragon gave way to natural tyre grip in a similar way to the Simple Green did (only the Paragon lasted 6-7 laps, not 2-3 laps).

What I did notice is that my tyres kept up their speed for the whole run, but others (on Paragon) fell away toward the end. I am just guessing but does the Paragon seem to cause too much harm to the tyre and thats why the tyres give away at the end of a run?

Ben
Thanks for that info Ben, but how did you apply it, was it neat out of the bottle, did you use it as a cleaner first, then apply more, did you use tyre warmers, if so for how long, and what temp?
Cheers Malc TCCFM
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Default Simple Green Test

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Thanks for that info Ben, but how did you apply it, was it neat out of the bottle, did you use it as a cleaner first, then apply more, did you use tyre warmers, if so for how long, and what temp? Cheers Malc TCCFM
First I cleaned my tyres with a paintbrush to get all the dirt off. Then I sprayed a cleaning cloth with one spray of Simple Green and held it against the the front tyre while rotating it with the free hand. After I did the front tyres I sprayed the cloth again and did the rear tyres.

I then put on the warmers (no cloth) at 40degC.

I find that at the end of the run at my local track my left tyres are about 35degC and the right are 45degC so 40degC is a good average. I have the car on the warmers 2 heats (15min) before each run. I also put my car down on the track just before the start of each heat so to keep the tyre in the warmers longer and the tyres are cleaner.

Ben
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by auzzy_mate
First I cleaned my tyres with a paintbrush to get all the dirt off. Then I sprayed a cleaning cloth with one spray of Simple Green and held it against the the front tyre while rotating it with the free hand. After I did the front tyres I sprayed the cloth again and did the rear tyres.

I then put on the warmers (no cloth) at 40degC.

I find that at the end of the run at my local track my left tyres are about 35degC and the right are 45degC so 40degC is a good average. I have the car on the warmers 2 heats (15min) before each run. I also put my car down on the track just before the start of each heat so to keep the tyre in the warmers longer and the tyres are cleaner.

Ben
Thanks for that info Ben
Malc
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Thanks for that info Ben
Malc
I have also tested this stuff now. It is more environmentally friendly and I found it exactly the same as SG.

It cleans the tyre, and it does seem to soften it a little (which will ultimately give me more grip in the beginning of the race).

Ben

P.S. Windex (Window Cleaner) does work to clean the tyre, but offered me no stick or softenning of the tyre so I did not test that at the track, only at home on the benchtop.
Attached Thumbnails Simple Green-op_bottle_multi.gif  
Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Regular

Foam tires on carpet use skin lotion/suntan lotion.

Foam tires on dirt - light coat of oil

Track does not allow traction compound on foam - alcohol/baseball glove contioner (old secret, do not race foam on carpet anymore). Can not smell it, if applyed right will not leave residue on glass inspection plate). Softens and cleans foam without drying them out.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Im surprised nobody mentioned lighter fluid....Good ole Ronsonol