Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use it on foam tires for dirt oval racing, works great as a cleaner or a tire traction additive if you leave it on.

Dave
Old 05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Which means

Its aslo in a well known branded mouthwash

CCFM
Simple Green is a brand name, like Windex or Tide. They got the name from the ingredient. Oil of wintergreen is used in many products, most notably Ben Gay.

The problem with tire sauces isn't the wintergreen, it's the delivery agent, which must be volitale. That's why you get a headache.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
Simple Green is a brand name, like Windex or Tide. They got the name from the ingredient. Oil of wintergreen is used in many products, most notably Ben Gay.

The problem with tire sauces isn't the wintergreen, it's the delivery agent, which must be volitale. That's why you get a headache.
Thanks for that Jim, but you say a delivery agent, what do you mean by that, n why does it HAVE to be volatile
Thanks CCFM
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for that Jim, but you say a delivery agent, what do you mean by that, n why does it HAVE to be volatile
Thanks CCFM
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

A delivery agent is what special chemicals/ingredients are dissolved with to mix them all together and make it usable as a product.

Often chemicals are in powder form, or are extremely concentrated in their own liquid form, like cleaners. One common agent is water, especially for cleaning products.

In the case of tire sauces, they tend to use agents that will evaporate quickly, leaving the residue of the active chemicals on the tire to soak in. In liquid form they're relatively safe in their containers, but when applied and evaporated in the open air we can breathe the stuff in, causing issues we've all heard and talked about before.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default SIMPLE GREEN CONTAINS NO OIL OF WINTERGREEN

This is a reply from Simple Green themselves:

Dear Don,

Thank you for your inquiry. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner does not contain any Oil of Wintergreen.

I hope this information is helpful. If there is anything more I can assist you with, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Laura Lorincz

Environmental & Regulatory Coordinator

Sunshine Makers, Inc. / Simple Green

---
My question:

Does the Simple Green product All Purpose Cleaner contain 'oil of Wintergreen'?

Name: Don Whittingham
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

i'll go into withdrawals if i run out of simple green. its the best multipurpose cleaner on the planet (imho). it makes a excellent cheap nitro cleaner when mixed 1:1 with denatured alcohol. don't let it dry on aluminum or other metals w/o testing first. be careful soaking for longer than a few minutes as well. i always drop in a 1/2 cup when washing shop rags. 30:1 works great in my spotbot carpet cleaner (normally $10 a bottle for the "carpet stuff")

i went through 3 cans of carb & brake cleaner (and a set of chemical resistant gloves!) when i rebuilt the carbs on my bike with less than stellar results. a quick soak in simple green and a little agitation with a toothbrush and the funk buildup in the carbs came right off! amazing stuff!

wear gloves if you are in contact with the concentrate for extended periods unless you enjoy a dry, chapped, irritated, unpleasant burning feeling on your hands!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sonicj
i'll go into withdrawals if i run out of simple green. its the best multipurpose cleaner on the planet (imho). it makes a excellent cheap nitro cleaner when mixed 1:1 with denatured alcohol. don't let it dry on aluminum or other metals w/o testing first. be careful soaking for longer than a few minutes as well. i always drop in a 1/2 cup when washing shop rags. 30:1 works great in my spotbot carpet cleaner (normally $10 a bottle for the "carpet stuff")

i went through 3 cans of carb & brake cleaner (and a set of chemical resistant gloves!) when i rebuilt the carbs on my bike with less than stellar results. a quick soak in simple green and a little agitation with a toothbrush and the funk buildup in the carbs came right off! amazing stuff!

wear gloves if you are in contact with the concentrate for extended periods unless you enjoy a dry, chapped, irritated, unpleasant burning feeling on your hands!

HEHE... the guy signs up on rctech just to talk about simplegreen Welcome!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ian S
Im pretty sure its illegal to use in the UK - not allowed any wintergreen based additive.
And for the record, just incase CCFM is trying someting... re-scenting it is also not allowed.... Busted?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc3team
And for the record, just incase CCFM is trying someting... re-scenting it is also not allowed.... Busted?
Er, try reading the manufacturer's response to the question of whether oil of wintergreen is in the product. It's only a couple of posts up on this page.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

The ingredient in question is Butyl Cellosolve (2-Butoxyethanol).
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by THancock
Er, try reading the manufacturer's response to the question of whether oil of wintergreen is in the product. It's only a couple of posts up on this page.
Thanks for that Tim, yea he needs to go to spec savers

Btw, I did some tests on different makes of tyres with 'Simple (NO WINTERGREEN') Green', and made no difference to the tyres, where am I going wrong?

Who has tried 'Simple (NO WINTERGREEN') Green' on what tyres please. Please state what tyres and how you applied/cleaned with this stuff, coz I couldn't make it work

TCCFM
Need more speeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for that Tim, yea he needs to go to spec savers

Btw, I did some tests on different makes of tyres with 'Simple (NO WINTERGREEN') Green', and made no difference to the tyres, where am I going wrong?

Who has tried 'Simple (NO WINTERGREEN') Green' on what tyres please. Please state what tyres and how you applied/cleaned with this stuff, coz I couldn't make it work

TCCFM
Need more speeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd!!!!!!!
Just did some back to back testing using simple green and paragon fxII,the paragon had kept its grip through out the whole race where the simple green made tires feel tackier at first but lost its grip after a couple of laps,but it works great as a tire prep/cleaner before applying traction compound.This was all on sorex 36r tires.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by airwoods
Just did some back to back testing using simple green and paragon fxII,the paragon had kept its grip through out the whole race where the simple green made tires feel tackier at first but lost its grip after a couple of laps,but it works great as a tire prep/cleaner before applying traction compound.This was all on sorex 36r tires.
We in the UK defo can NOT use Paragon

I tried Simple Green on Sorex 32r, and it made no difference to it at all.
I also tried it on STCC tires (Corally) again made no difference.
I again tried it on SWEEP 32' and did made the tire very clean and tacky.
TCCFM
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

At our track we use simple green to clean the tires before and after applying traction compound. That's all. It certainly makes them incredibly tacky. When I try to pick up the car off my alloy setting board, it actually lifts the setup board off the table before becoming unstuck...

It also makes the tires damn near impossible to get them back into a ziplock baggie...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

We in the UK defo can NOT use Paragon

I tried Simple Green on Sorex 32r, and it made no difference to it at all.
I also tried it on STCC tires (Corally) again made no difference.
I again tried it on SWEEP 32' and did made the tire very clean and tacky.
TCCFM
I'll get the glasses on next time, I only read the wintergreen part...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.