Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C&B RC
Washer I use is 5.25mm ID 12mm OD thickness can vary depending on how much you need. Not sure on MAX spur / pinion
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
I can't really comment on spur/pinion(I use 64 pitch in my touring cars), but these washers will work to space out the VTA wheels... http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=613&id=7158 .
Or, you could use what I use, which is this: http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=615&id=823 , that eliminates the need for any spacers to make the wheels clear everything....
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
I just decided to buy some 64p gears. I ordered an 82 spur and 50t pinion. (I had $15 in store credit at amain about to expire). I can let you know how they fit. They should be here by the end of the week.
Thank you all!

I actually think I got those wheel spacers a long time ago but I couldn't figure out where/how to fit them on. I'll deffinitly be getting those 6mm thick wheel hubs for the rear wheels.

And cdwilliams, that's the same range I was planning on going for. Was thinking on trying 46t-50t pinions. Maybe even down to 42t.. from 3.5 FDR -4 FDR..

Is 48p better for VTA? What would a good spur tooth count for 48p gears?

Last edited by Zac_with_no_K; 06-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K

And cdwilliams, that's the same range I was planning on going for. Was thinking on trying 46t-50t pinions. Maybe even down to 42t.. from 3.5 FDR -4 FDR..

Is 48p better for VTA? What would a good spur tooth count for 48p gears?
48p is more durable, since the teeth are bigger. They are supposed to be easier to get a good mesh on as well, due to the size. Although I haven't tried them yet.... 64p is supposedly quieter, cooler, and more efficient. I only run indoors though on carpet though so I'm not really worried about anything making its way into the gears and chipping teeth. So I'll give it a go. I picked 82/50 to mimic my current VTA setup. It's almost exactly the same ratio even though the gears are wildly different. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

48p is more durable, since the teeth are bigger. They are supposed to be easier to get a good mesh on as well, due to the size. Although I haven't tried them yet.... 64p is supposedly quieter, cooler, and more efficient. I only run indoors though on carpet though so I'm not really worried about anything making its way into the gears and chipping teeth. So I'll give it a go. I picked 82/50 to mimic my current VTA setup. It's almost exactly the same ratio even though the gears are wildly different. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!

I've decided to risk it and just ordered the hubs and 64p spur and too many pinions.. Need to have my car set-up hopefully before the 30th and have a ton of work to do..

But still let me know how the pinion fits because I'm still worried about that!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
Thanks, what size washers would work for that?

Also, does anyone know what the largest size 64p spur and pinions will fit?

I need to order a 82t spur with 48t +/- pinions but worried the pinion would be too large..

I run a 96t spur with a 47t pinion, and have room to gear up a tooth or two. An 82t spur should net you a lot of room for larger pinions.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
does anyone know if the V2 and the 416 share the same body post locations? assuming you're running the carbon rear shock tower and not the stock one??

Yes, when putting the posts ahead of the rear shock tower, they line up just the same(or at least so close, that I can't tell the difference, & I have had my v2 & 416 share bodies before). Works well.....
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Zac,

Here's what it looks like...

48P (left 35pinion/60 spur) vs 64P (50pinion/82 spur)

and then here's how it looks mounted. There isn't much room available to get farther to the right with the motor. You might only be able to get a couple teeth smaller on the pinion.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by iasca20
I run a 96t spur with a 47t pinion, and have room to gear up a tooth or two. An 82t spur should net you a lot of room for larger pinions.
Zac,

Here's what it looks like...

48P (left 35pinion/60 spur) vs 64P (50pinion/82 spur)

and then here's how it looks mounted. There isn't much room available to get farther to the right with the motor. You might only be able to get a couple teeth smaller on the pinion.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

hi those who have converted the ifs setup to standard, have you noticed a difference and are you lap times faster or slower, any info on this issue will help thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Yes, when putting the posts ahead of the rear shock tower, they line up just the same(or at least so close, that I can't tell the difference, & I have had my v2 & 416 share bodies before). Works well.....
wow, thanks - but you must be running a different rear shock tower...mine are off by a good 1/4-1/2 inch in the rear...

I'm running the IFS rear tower, if that make any kind of difference
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Got a new problems since putting the car back together. It pulls to the left under acceleration, but tracks straight when I let off the gas. Any ideas? Diff too tight?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zaraz
hi those who have converted the ifs setup to standard, have you noticed a difference and are you lap times faster or slower, any info on this issue will help thanks
I am also interested in any response to the above request.

I have finally rounded up all the parts to accomplish the change to upright shocks. My reason for doing so is to make tuning easier. I've read the manual on tuning front shock when using IFS but think upright shocks might be simpler or offer a greater range of changes.

If there was a chance of a performance improvement, that would be very welcome.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by k_bojar
wow, thanks - but you must be running a different rear shock tower...mine are off by a good 1/4-1/2 inch in the rear...

I'm running the IFS rear tower, if that make any kind of difference
Ohhh, yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I have the carbon fiber rear shock tower on it(already had one from my older TA05, so when I built my v2, I moved it over), & with it, you can get the body posts to line up right....
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I converted to upright shocks, but changed back to IFS due to not being able to get my ride height low enough (was probably up around 8 or 9 mm) on the front. I don't have any actual lap time comparison but I mainly race on asphalt and am posting times near the fastest guys at our track with the IFS setup.
When using upright shocks I had the TRF shocks on there and had the lower ball cups wound as far up the thread as possible. Even wound the thread through the lower ball cups by accident at one point to try and get the front ride height down to a decent level. Not sure if this issue would happen for everyone converting to upright shocks, but I don't see any way around it besides getting shorter (ie. crappy, non-TRF) shocks.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post10775985

For me the conversion was the best thing I done to the car.
By eliminating all the free play in the multiple linkages in the IFS setup the car is more consistent, if only the driver was the same.

I don't have any ride height issues with mine, mainly adjust it with different springs & position of where the shocks mount.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

I was also wondering if the tamiya 417 rear ball diff will fit the ta05 ver 2, if anyone has tried it please let me know thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.