Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well we are running what is called a GT2 class here.

Rubber tire, spec ratio limit, dont think we are specing the battery.

I am going to be running my XBR and 4300ss with sintered rotor.

its a carpet indoor, so going low and stiff.. I will look at some of thse setups as well. I have not raced the TC3 that much yet. I was running an MR4-tc which I loved, but without the droop screws and also I could not get any hardcase lipo to fit the mr4..

TC3 - will not have those issues.

I am going to do a plate on the bottom and also some weight in the cavity of the pack, and maybe some more on top of the hold down.

James
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a note that the older TC3's won't have droop screw holes on the front/rear arms, and/or the outer shock mounting positions. But you can buy new arms that'll update you.

I only run NiMH in my car, with a Novak Cyclone TC ESC, so I can't offer much help with how to fit LiPO's in there.

Last edited by BobbyS; 10-07-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

ive fitted stick pack lipos (the yeah racing 3200 and orion 3400) into my Tc3 with no problems. I was running it brushed with a Cyclone TC2 speed control.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Does anyone have a FDR suggestion for a 17.5 brushless? Any help would be appreciated. I need it for rubber /carpet racing.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

I would start between 5 and 4.5.

But it's going to be difficult to find a 35 teeth pinion and a 63 teeth spur gear...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

i use to use a 40t 48pitch pinion in my tc3 when i had a 13.5 in it :P

with the stock 72t spur.

Speedtech will take care of you...

Pinions
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=502

Spurs
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=392

My tc3 has the xtreme racing carbon chassis so i dunno what the stock cam/motor mount setup would fit but you can easily obtain a 40t pinion and a65t spur from speedtech and that puts you at 4.06 FDR so just get a smaller pinion to into that guy's suggested 4.5-5 FDR range...
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

I have a 4300ss with sintered rotor, on the stock 72t spur.

Novak recomends a 23 or 24 tooth pinion.

How do I use the above to work out FDR again? I now need to know the internal ratio right?

james

Originally Posted by heretic
I would start between 5 and 4.5.

But it's going to be difficult to find a 35 teeth pinion and a 63 teeth spur gear...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

spur divided by pinion
then multiply that result by 2.5 (the internal ratio).

or vist www.gearchart.com and use the gearchart creater to make a printout. You select your car from the dropdown list, enter your spur and pinion and select "create" and it makes a printout for you. Its really useful.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default My Tc3

This is my TC3.. Got my body fitted from from MR4-TC. We are running rubber on carpet.. Ahhh the season is here..
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-tc31.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc32.jpg   TC3 Forum-tc33.jpg  

Last edited by Bikerbob; 10-19-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any one have a brushless that fits?

I'm looking to put a 17.5 brushless motor into my TC3. right now, the only one that I know of that would work is the NOVAK motor. The problem I have is that the sensor plug leads going to the motor are right at the motor bulk head. Therefore, I cannot plug it in. I have been looking at motors on line, but they don't show the connector.

What do you have in yours?

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What 17.5 are you having a problem with? Is this an example where a motor manufacturer may have overlooked that their motor may not work well in a tub based chassis?

The only suggestion I can think is to rotate the motor clockwise or counterclockwise so the sensor connector isn't blocked. However, it may make soldering the motor wires a pain or visually unappealing.

I should add that laptops use similar connectors to the sensor wires. Due to tight tolerances, they can get creative in how they cram them into a laptop. I wouldn't worry about folding them over a little, but not sure how well that would hold up over time.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

A friend let me borrow his Orion motor. The leads are 180° from the solder points. There is no room to "cram" the wires.

Rotating does not work because the bulk head is to high.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe pull the sensor cable's sheathing back a little to allow you to bend the wires a little better than try to put the sheathing back over it?

Not sure about this one.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If the motor looks like this one I can see why you had a problem.(http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Vo...rs/Vortex+Race)

I hate suggesting this, but your only option on the TC3 might be to cut the chassis. Not really practical though. I've had no problem with the Novak motors in my TC3 since the sensored wire is hardwired to the motor. Not suggesting Novak as a solution as there may be better 17.5 motors out there.

The only other option I can think of is an aftermarket graphite chassis for the TC3. These are getting harder to find new, but you might be able to find a good one used. You might also be able to find a BMI TC3 chassis used. I've read good things about the BMI TC3 chassis, but they've been discontinued. I also saw a IRS TC3 chassis for sale in the trade forums yesterday.

Here are links to new aftermarket TC3 chassis.
Xtreme Racing - http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm
IRS - http://www.teamirsrc.com/tc3.html

I personally own the Xtreme Racing TC3 oval chassis, which runs very well. I think the Xtreme is probably the better value due to the motor mount. It eliminates the TC3 motor cam and allows you run a much wider range of gears, which is nice for brushless. Here is a link to their motor mount:

Again not suggesting an aftermarket chassis is THE solution to this problem. However, others reading this thread may not be aware of the aftermarket chassis available for the TC3.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-20-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If the motor looks like this one I can see why you had a problem.(http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Vo...rs/Vortex+Race)

I hate suggesting this, but your only option on the TC3 might be to cut the chassis. Not really practical though. I've had no problem with the Novak motors in my TC3 since the sensored wire is hardwired to the motor. Not suggesting Novak as a solution as there may be better 17.5 motors out there.

The only other option I can think of is an aftermarket graphite chassis for the TC3. These are getting harder to find new, but you might be able to find a good one used. You might also be able to find a BMI TC3 chassis used. I've read good things about the BMI TC3 chassis, but they've been discontinued. I also saw a IRS TC3 chassis for sale in the trade forums yesterday.

Here are links to new aftermarket TC3 chassis.
Xtreme Racing - http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm
IRS - http://www.teamirsrc.com/tc3.html

I personally own the Xtreme Racing TC3 oval chassis, which runs very well. I think the Xtreme is probably the better value due to the motor mount. It eliminates the TC3 motor cam and allows you run a much wider range of gears, which is nice for brushless. Here is a photo of their motor mount:

Again not suggesting an aftermarket chassis is THEsolution to this problem. However, others reading this thread may not be aware of the aftermarket chassis available for the TC3.
Ive got the non-oval Xtreme chassis and its great, the motor mount works great as well. Penguin also makes a conversion...

http://www.penguinrc.com/products/as.../p5500tc3.html

but really, show us some pics and maybe we can help you more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.