Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Love the rain shots lightfoot. Just awesome!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kb525

Am I the only one that saw the connection?
Great photo!
Have you any video of this raining race?
Are you running with rubber slicks?
Regards
Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by victor_assob4
Great photo!
Have you any video of this raining race?
Are you running with rubber slicks?
Regards
from the looks of those pics, seems like they all are running rubber tires

the F104 handles surprisingly well with rubber slicks (tamiya optional tires) in the rain..Mine actually handled better in the wet then it did on the dry track
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It wasn't a race but was a lot of fun to run em during the rain delay and eventually rain postponed TCS Regional race.

Slicks did work well but there was no warning as to when it would spin, no sliding on this day, stuck or spun with no in between.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-f1-rain.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just finished doing some driving in the wet. I was very surprised how hooked up the car was. It was actually hooked up more the wetter it was. As things started to dry out traction was harder to find.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I just finished doing some driving in the wet. I was very surprised how hooked up the car was. It was actually hooked up more the wetter it was. As things started to dry out traction was harder to find.
Interesting you say that because I noticed the same thing when I went out with Doug that raining Tamiya day... The strange thing was that his car was way hooked up when the rain was light but as soon as the rain picked up , his car was loosing traction and spun out while mine started to hook up... we were both driving TCS spec cars with the same soft rears and hard fronts, the only major difference we could tell was that his tires were very worn and mine were new for that weekend... It was a very noticeable difference ... Eventually it does get so wet that it becomes almost impossible to drive...

And the other cool thing is with NO weather proofing these cars are totally fine... with open wheels 95% of the water stays outside... I think we had a total of 5 F1's running for about 30 minutes each , non had a problem... a couple of sedans went out and within a few minutes one smoked something electronic and was done...

Tamiya track was perfect to run in the rain, covered drivers stand
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

I am running a F104 with the Exotek and I have used styrene to flatten/seal the underside for the rear diffuser.

The only weather proofing I did was cover the holes in side pods. After at least 15-20 minutes of running the inside of the car was still dry!

I am just happy because it has been raining a ton here lately and I can still get out and drive.

Tempted to get a set of tires and try putting a wet tread pattern in them
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My son and I run 104pros on our large concrete driveway, and we wet it with the hose for MORE traction.
Wet is good,to a point , on the rubber tires.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Playing in the Rain
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Tech Champion

Tamiya rubber has always been that way...once the track gets wet enough it actually has more grip than in the dry.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

How do you protect your electonics from getting wet? I will use a silvercan and a Tamiya TEU-302 and an LRP LiPo 4000 but don't have a clue how to seal them properly.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

The motor and servo are not really effected by the water. With the car being open wheel you just need to keep water from getting inside the body. If you have any vent holes in the body cover them up. It is difficult for water to get in under the body so you do not need to do much there.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Vid from that day at Tamiya....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUdFm...el_video_title
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

The motor and servo are not really effected by the water. With the car being open wheel you just need to keep water from getting inside the body. If you have any vent holes in the body cover them up. It is difficult for water to get in under the body so you do not need to do much there.
What servo are you using?

Maybe it would be fun for TCS race to spray small amount of water on the track for F1 race hehe. I should have kept the F201 special tuned chassis I had 8 years ago.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Mr. Lightfoot isn't gonna tell ya cuz he's that kind of guy but that's his car in the video and he's the one that got us to follow him out onto the track so he could lie down in the puddles and shoot those bitchin shots of us playin in the wet!

Why isn't my rain light blinking?

As far as waterproofing the electronics, when the Offroad World Championships were run in the rain and mud in Japan a few years ago, the guys were using the putty for hanging pictures which is available at the hardware stores.
It doesn't dry and has the consistency of chewing gum, they would form it around any plugs or holes in the electronics including the banana plugs in the lipos.
When I got my F104 home after these rain shots, my receiver was full of water and I was sketchin about the lipo too.
I blew it out gently with a compressor and then a hairdryer then just parked it under a shop lamp for the rest of the day to keep it warming up and drying out.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-_mg_2295.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.