Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntiGooch
Hello Y'all,

I'd appreciate some help/guidance for a problem i am having with two new Reventon Stock Club Race ESCs with 17.5 Fixed Endbell motors. I bought these to put in my sons' XXX-SCTs.

I installed the first one, and set up the transmitter. However, i do not get any throttle/brake response from the esc. I know the transmitter is working (its the Losi 2.4 Ghz that came with the trucks) as the steering is fine. The orange LED is on solid, and the red LED is blinking. During transmitter setup the motor 'beeps' as i believe it is supposed to.

Thinking i might have a bad motor, i opened the second esc/motor set. I tried the 1st motor with the 2nd speed control. This time, i turned on the esc before setting up the transmitter, and with the transmitter off. The motor ran a bit. Then i tried setting up the transmitter with the second esc, and got the same lack of throttle/brake activity as with the first.

I tried all the other combos of ESC/motor/sensor wire that i could between the two with the same effect.

What am i doing wrong? Is there a setup step i am missing? The trucks were working fine with the stock Losi ESC (but i got tired of having to clean the motors ) What could the potential problem be?

Sorry for the long post, but i would greatly appreciate help. I have two sad sons right now

EDIT: I'd like to add that i used a charged and known good Lipo, and new sensor wires.
Thanks for the help y'all. It was just a matter of setting the throttle to REV. I appreciate the clarification.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

ran the reventon pro in 13.5t boosted and loved it

setup is

Running mode = forward with brakes
lipo cut off = off
over heat protection = off
brakes = 80%
drag brake = o%
neutral range = 6%
dtts = level 5
hybrid boost active = 80%
hybrid boost max = 150k
hybrid boost start rpm = 3000rpm
hybrid boost delay = 0.2 sec
slope rate 6'/0.1s

motor was the new gm timing in the middle (how they come out the box)
track was aldershot uk
and fdr was 6.12
temp was 62-70deg on motor and was a hot ish day

wasnt topping out on the straight so next meeting will drop a tooth on the pinion to a fdr of 6.38
Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'll be putting a Reventon Pro into my 17.5 blinky BD7. Any suggestions on ESC settings for a short highly technical asphalt track?

Also, I have a Reventon Pro in my 21.5 blinky 1/12, should I run my ESC settings similar to that of the pro drivers setups posted online?

Love your ESC's
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
For Reventon Pro STOCK1 firmware: is Hybrid Boost Power (HB Power) the same as Hybrid Boost Active in the documentation?
Yes. In V20 firmware, the Hybrid Boost Active is changed to Hybrid Boost Power.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Double post sorry

Last edited by onekiwi; 08-01-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi
I got a SP 5.5 motor from rcmart tried it for a lap and a bit then I thought I done my slipper:

Pulled in and had a check and its rotor/magnet release!! Pulled it out and the magnet slipped halfway down the shaft, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Anyway I had a look around, Ill see what shipping is going to cost me to return it or Ill just look at getting a new rotor.

The one that was in there was a black one with red top that by the looks of things should be for a 9.5-21.5

If this is the case then what is it doing in my brand new 5.5?? Little pissed if this is the case.

Whats the correct rotor to have or what would be a good for offroad?
Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by onekiwi
Hi
I got a SP 5.5 motor from rcmart tried it for a lap and a bit then I thought I done my slipper:

Pulled in and had a check and its rotor/magnet release!! Pulled it out and the magnet slipped halfway down the shaft, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Anyway I had a look around, Ill see what shipping is going to cost me to return it or Ill just look at getting a new rotor.

The one that was in there was a black one with red top that by the looks of things should be for a 9.5-21.5

If this is the case then what is it doing in my brand new 5.5?? Little pissed if this is the case.

Whats the correct rotor to have or what would be a good for offroad?
Thanks
Same thing happened to me with a 4.5t. I guess you could glue it on with some heat resistant glue but I sent mine in for replacement.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just installed my new Reventon R in my F1 last night, already seem to be having an issue. I calibrated the ESC to my radio (Futaba), which was very easy. My only beef with this process is the fact that the LED's that you have to see to go through the calibration are located on the bottom of the ESC. If you've mounted the unit to your chassis prior to calibration, you'll likely be ripping it out again.
Anyway, the default profile appears to have some boost dialed in (even with the 21.5, the tires feel like they're going to blow off the rims), and almost no brakes. I need to be in blinky mode, and would like to dial in some drag brake and increase the braking strength. I installed the software (including the USB driver) on my Windows 7 laptop, but the LED program card is completely unresponsive. I've tried just updating the firmware for the card per the instructions, nothing happens - no prompts, nothing downloading... It really seems like an issue with the driver.
I'm racing tomorrow morning, would really like to get this hammered out. Any help would be much appreciated. I tried calling SpeedPassion twice, but I simply can't afford to hold for 15 minutes at a time, just to be forwarded to voicemail.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
Just installed my new Reventon R in my F1 last night, already seem to be having an issue. I calibrated the ESC to my radio (Futaba), which was very easy. My only beef with this process is the fact that the LED's that you have to see to go through the calibration are located on the bottom of the ESC. If you've mounted the unit to your chassis prior to calibration, you'll likely be ripping it out again.
Anyway, the default profile appears to have some boost dialed in (even with the 21.5, the tires feel like they're going to blow off the rims), and almost no brakes. I need to be in blinky mode, and would like to dial in some drag brake and increase the braking strength. I installed the software (including the USB driver) on my Windows 7 laptop, but the LED program card is completely unresponsive. I've tried just updating the firmware for the card per the instructions, nothing happens - no prompts, nothing downloading... It really seems like an issue with the driver.
I'm racing tomorrow morning, would really like to get this hammered out. Any help would be much appreciated. I tried calling SpeedPassion twice, but I simply can't afford to hold for 15 minutes at a time, just to be forwarded to voicemail.
#1 Download the latest SP software and make sure you are using it...

#2 Updating Program Card Firmware: Plug in the mini USB cable to program card. Pressing and hold the RESET button while plugging in other end of the USB cable to the PC. Turn on the SP program on your computer and you should see the UPDATE FIRMWARE tab on your left side of the screen and update the programing card to the latest version V2.7.

#3 After you are done updating the LED Card....connect the ESC to the LED and make sure the computer is still connected. However, make sure DO NOT connect the ESC with your lipo....your whole setup does not required the lipo battery to power up the whole process...the USB will power up the whole thing from your computer. Also, unplug the fan from your ESC if you are using it...

#4....find the software that you want from the left side of the sceen said UPDATE FIRMWARE....choose STOCK0 (that is blinky), upload it to the ESC...then go to the program and adjust your ESC parameter like brake to 100% and drag brake to 10%....

If you are using F1...strongly recommend you using the ABS setting on your radio....it make a tons of different on driving F1.

The default software on REVENTON R is Mod0, that has 15* of dynamic timing added...thats why you can see the F1 tire ballooned...every country run different software, we cannot load different software to different ESC and ship to different country...thats why the LED card is included so you can change it to the software that you are legally to use.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Any one have great results with a blinky 17.5t MMM motor compared to other brands?

I have a 10.5t MMM and love it in boosted class and want run 17.5 stock on our track and want to know if the motor in fastest compared to other brands.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
#1 Download the latest SP software and make sure you are using it...

#2 Updating Program Card Firmware: Plug in the mini USB cable to program card. Pressing and hold the RESET button while plugging in other end of the USB cable to the PC. Turn on the SP program on your computer and you should see the UPDATE FIRMWARE tab on your left side of the screen and update the programing card to the latest version V2.7.

#3 After you are done updating the LED Card....connect the ESC to the LED and make sure the computer is still connected. However, make sure DO NOT connect the ESC with your lipo....your whole setup does not required the lipo battery to power up the whole process...the USB will power up the whole thing from your computer. Also, unplug the fan from your ESC if you are using it...

#4....find the software that you want from the left side of the sceen said UPDATE FIRMWARE....choose STOCK0 (that is blinky), upload it to the ESC...then go to the program and adjust your ESC parameter like brake to 100% and drag brake to 10%....

If you are using F1...strongly recommend you using the ABS setting on your radio....it make a tons of different on driving F1.

The default software on REVENTON R is Mod0, that has 15* of dynamic timing added...thats why you can see the F1 tire ballooned...every country run different software, we cannot load different software to different ESC and ship to different country...thats why the LED card is included so you can change it to the software that you are legally to use.
Thanks for the quick reply! I've done all of the above - but when I plug the LED card in, it lights up - says "SP" and then " l l ", then nothing. I open the SP desktop, but when trying to update the LED card, it never gives me the option to update firmware (I hold down "Reset" as instructed). And I never get the dialog box to connect the ESC. It really seems like the driver isn't working - not sure what I'm doing wrong. I really don't want to pull the Reventon to run my GTB. Even if the LED card is lighting up, could it still be defective? If I buy the WiFi module for my iPhone, will this replace the LED box entirely? I obviously can't make this happen by 8:30 tomorrow morning, but in the future...
Old 08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick reply! I've done all of the above - but when I plug the LED card in, it lights up - says "SP" and then " l l ", then nothing. I open the SP desktop, but when trying to update the LED card, it never gives me the option to update firmware (I hold down "Reset" as instructed). And I never get the dialog box to connect the ESC. It really seems like the driver isn't working - not sure what I'm doing wrong. I really don't want to pull the Reventon to run my GTB. Even if the LED card is lighting up, could it still be defective? If I buy the WiFi module for my iPhone, will this replace the LED box entirely? I obviously can't make this happen by 8:30 tomorrow morning, but in the future...
OK....I don't think you have the USB driver installed (or installed correctly)...go to page 17 (step 13) on the manual and go thru those steps and make sure your computer recognized the SP USB driver.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
OK....I don't think you have the USB driver installed (or installed correctly)...go to page 17 (step 13) on the manual and go thru those steps and make sure your computer recognized the SP USB driver.
I've installed and removed, and reinstalled the software four times now. Each time, it says everything has been successfully installed. My laptop isn't recognizing the programming card, hasn't even given me a "found new hardware" message. The card lights up, as does the lights on the bottom of the esc, but that's it. I don't get the "Connect ESC" or "Update Firmware" messages. The PC interface for my other ESC's is still working fine. I've even recruited my network admin/security expert from work to take a look. Everything looks like it should. I've got several hours in to this now, we have to be missing something. Any way to troubleshoot the card?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IVAN RM
Any one have great results with a blinky 17.5t MMM motor compared to other brands?

I have a 10.5t MMM and love it in boosted class and want run 17.5 stock on our track and want to know if the motor in fastest compared to other brands.
Hey Ivan,

i run a 10.5 on Stock firmware in my HPI Blitz SCT and its one of the quicker trucks in the class, based on the motors awesome ability's I picked a SP MMM 17.5 for my Team durango DEX210 in Stock 2wd Blinky.

Geared at a final drive ratio of 4.9 and 20deg timing it goes the same speed as my mates Losi 22 with same final drive ratio and he has a Trinity D3 D3.5.

The speed passion MMM motors are some of the fastest in 2wd stock at our track and have no issues i know of.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've installed and removed, and reinstalled the software four times now. Each time, it says everything has been successfully installed. My laptop isn't recognizing the programming card, hasn't even given me a "found new hardware" message. The card lights up, as does the lights on the bottom of the esc, but that's it. I don't get the "Connect ESC" or "Update Firmware" messages. The PC interface for my other ESC's is still working fine. I've even recruited my network admin/security expert from work to take a look. Everything looks like it should. I've got several hours in to this now, we have to be missing something. Any way to troubleshoot the card?
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same problem but I had a little trouble getting my Win7 pc to recognize the led box because the driver for the serial port emulator (that the SP led box uses) was not installed.

As Solara advised, go download the latest software from the SP website, it will download as a .RAR file.
Extract the RAR file to a folder on your PC then go to the "SP_Reventon_PC_Program_v1_1_0_22\SpUsbDriver 6.6" folder, find the file "SpUsbInstaller" right click & run as administrator.
This will hopefully install the serial port emulator driver on your computer, if successful reboot your computer and then follow the instructions to update the led box firmware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.