Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

dont use tyre warmers on carpet.
make shure the tyres ar glued realy good.
treat the rear tyre full 30 min min with carped tyre smear
front inner half for 30 min.
should work great
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinion King
Hi Jilles,

Being driven absolutely nuts by an issue I am having with my 416X. At the start of the race, the car is great, as the race goes on, the car gets worse and worse.

Turn a corner and the rear of the car steps out, and the car really starts to oversteer heavily, and at times traction roll. It costs me up to 1/2 a second a lap as i have to back off to get thru corners and widen my apexes to keep the car as straight and stable as I can.

It had me confused, as a few days before at a weekend event (we race on Wednesday nights, indoors) the car was great, and I hadn't adjusted it between the weekend and Wednesday.

I have tried many different setup ideas and nothing is solving the problem. Out of curiosity i measured my tyre temps when i pulled the car off the track. The fronts were 10deg (c) warmer then the rears, i checked and my dad was also having the same issue. His rear tyres were also cooler then his fronts.

We race on carpet so we use tyre warmers before the race. It seems to be that as the rear tyres cool they are loosing their grip and the fronts are taking over. Which makes sense as to why the car was so good during the weekend event, it was warmer conditions and tyre temps stayed even.

How can I get around this? Is there a way to keep more heat in the rear tyres so it doesn't go off so damn much.

Also took notice that my front tyres wear a lot fast then my rears do.
It is normal for your front tyres to wear more than your rears. The issue could be your tyres overheating. Normally when that happens your car gets both loose and understeery at the same time, but the looseness is what catches you out.

The easiest way to find out what's going on is to stiffen up the springs. If your car gets worse quicker than your tyres are overheating.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello guys,

My apoligizes for not being around on the thread lately.
Attached my Worlds set-up.
Later today I will answer all other questions!

Jilles
Attached Thumbnails "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors-worlds2010.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Jilles~

Wanted to get your advice on the new lipo chassis for carpet set up. Would you suggest that i start with your LRP Masters set up or SNOWBIRD set up.. Thanx for the help.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Jilles,

Nice that you will help other TRF drivers, we appreciate this!

here are my questions:

- what big setup changes do you make when it's raining?

-i saw you're basic outdoor setup, does it works for stock racing with a 10,5?
or do i have to change the camber angle, sus mount, ec.. ?

Thank you so much
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hello Jilles,
I'm in the market for a new servo. Could you please tell me which servo manufacture and model number you were using at Snowbirds and at the Worlds?

Thank you, Chris
Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

bump
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this question has been answered before

try the search function

Good to see that your back on here Jilles we have all missed you ( well i have ) and look forward to your insight
Old 09-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? WHICH WHITE SPRINGS?

I am really confused. I bought a set of Tamiya TRF shocks part 42102 - they come with a set of Tamiya white springs - which happen to work great on my car. (sadly not a 416 )

My question is this. What is the part number of this spring? I ask this because I checked out the petit rc touring car spring chart and that contains three different Tamiya White springs.

help me please
Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lohan
I am really confused. I bought a set of Tamiya TRF shocks part 42102 - they come with a set of Tamiya white springs - which happen to work great on my car. (sadly not a 416 )

My question is this. What is the part number of this spring? I ask this because I checked out the petit rc touring car spring chart and that contains three different Tamiya White springs.

help me please
The white is always a bit misleading, but each of the TRF white ones should have a small dab of coloured paint on one end (eg blue or yellow). It's the colour of this small bit of paint that tells you how stiff the spring is. Not always easy to see, particularly after a few races.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Senna Racing
this question has been answered before

try the search function

Good to see that your back on here Jilles we have all missed you ( well i have ) and look forward to your insight
I already tried that but thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PDR
The white is always a bit misleading, but each of the TRF white ones should have a small dab of coloured paint on one end (eg blue or yellow). It's the colour of this small bit of paint that tells you how stiff the spring is. Not always easy to see, particularly after a few races.
AHHHHHH!

they have a yellow dot!

thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? which yellow?????????????????

I feel like an imbecile.

Springs are white, and have a yellow dot on them. They came with TRF shocks that are blue in colour.

the problem I have is that there are about 3 or 4 different tamiya white springs

tamiya don't make it easy
Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Lohan...my TRFs came with the three sets of white springs, just checking now and they have a blue, yellow and white dot on them.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

The tamiya shocks come with 4 x tamiya yellow springs (white springs with yellow dots).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.