Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry P
I'm happy to say my boy FJ threw it down. his car looked awesome. Goat's car was fast and i was somewhere in the middle. it was good to actually run the main after my radio issues last week.

EJ you out there paying attention?
See you boys in two weeks. I will throw my TOP car in the mix. It is going to be a good National's. Can't wait.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey guys, I finally got to run my Photon yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This car is so easy to drive. I ended up winning the B main yesterday, and just missed making the show by a few seconds. I do have a few questions though. If I wanted more rotation in the corner, should I make the links shorter? They are as long as I can get them now. Also, on a 120 to 130 foot long straight, about where should I be geared at? It's 17.5 blinky with a D3 motor, and I'm running a 90 tooth spur and a 48 tooth pinion with a few degrees of timing. After the main the motor temped out around 184 degrees. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jerry P
...EJ you out there paying attention?
He's practicing right now
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since there's very few of us left in my area with Photons to share good results like the Jackson RC guys do, I'm going to pimp myself here.

I TQ'd the local 21.5 blinky TC class a couple of times in the previous weeks, but I kept choking in the main. I finally managed to pull out the win (and TQ) today with my original 6 cell chassis car. Also finished 5th in the super stock 13.5 boosted A-main with my newer lipo chassis car, just behind the big names. I had an awesome day driving my Photons. I prefer driving on carpet, but seem to do better on asphalt.

Nowhere near as smooth as I'd like to be and I got lucky when the 2nd place guy took himself out. It's interesting watching races after. It's quite apparent that the all red car was using boost, but I didn't really notice it during the race.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm very interested to see how the narrow chassis handles. Hopefully our postal system will be back running this week so I can place some orders. It's really tough for some of the local racers who can't get parts around here. Fortunately I can get TOP parts a few places, but not everything.

Last edited by locked; 06-28-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Hey guys, I finally got to run my Photon yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This car is so easy to drive. I ended up winning the B main yesterday, and just missed making the show by a few seconds. I do have a few questions though. If I wanted more rotation in the corner, should I make the links shorter? They are as long as I can get them now. Also, on a 120 to 130 foot long straight, about where should I be geared at? It's 17.5 blinky with a D3 motor, and I'm running a 90 tooth spur and a 48 tooth pinion with a few degrees of timing. After the main the motor temped out around 184 degrees. Thanks.
That gearing is in the right range, you will have to try a little up or down to see what works best, but its definitely in the right range. Do you have ECS's up front with Mira outdrives? if not, do that next.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
That gearing is in the right range, you will have to try a little up or down to see what works best, but its definitely in the right range. Do you have ECS's up front with Mira outdrives? if not, do that next.
For your setup q- where do u need more steering? Corner entry, middle, exit? Do u have a gear diff? If Not, get one immediately for asphalt racing. We normally run middle camber link in the Rear and middle hole on the optional +1.25 link in the front. Long Links make the car lazy.

As mike said, Your 3.75 FDR feels high (not enough pinion). You should run Marky Max timing on a d3 -- two notches from Max.

Make sure you have a fan blowing on your motor wired to your battery terminals on your speedo.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
For your setup q- where do u need more steering? Corner entry, middle, exit? Do u have a gear diff? If Not, get one immediately for asphalt racing. We normally run middle camber link in the Rear and middle hole on the optional +1.25 link in the front. Long Links make the car lazy.

As mike said, Your 3.75 FDR feels high (not enough pinion). You should run Marky Max timing on a d3 -- two notches from Max.

Make sure you have a fan blowing on your motor wired to your battery terminals on your speedo.
Sweet thanks guys. I have a gear diff, but its not installed yet, so guess what I will be doing tonight? lol. I could use a little more rotation on corner entry, but not too much. I think I will try the gear diff and go from there. As far as the gear, I have talked to the guy that won the a main and he said his gearing was around 4 flat. That seemed a little low to me, but hey, he drove a great race. He was driving a tc6, and the second place guy was driving a photon, and they were neck and neck. I have a heatsink/fan combo, should I use that or just mount the fan by itself? Thanks again for all the help.

Ken
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

We have a straight about that long and we run around the 3.5-3.6 area. That seems to work pretty good. Some guys were going as low as 3.4.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Postman came today... New Exotec chassis!

Spent the afternoon working on the car... The chassis is great. Well finished and nice and narrow! A motor guard is the next project for it

Perfect balance at 1380g with hobbywing 120a, standard servo, micro receiver and motor fan... 5000mAh packs so not too big but still happy.

Whats the weight diff. between the standard and aluminium turnbuckles?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamWTF
lucky I have the stock and scales

7x steel is about 10g
7x alloy is about 5g
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Postman came today... New Exotec chassis!

Spent the afternoon working on the car... The chassis is great. Well finished and nice and narrow! A motor guard is the next project for it

Perfect balance at 1380g with hobbywing 120a, standard servo, micro receiver and motor fan... 5000mAh packs so not too big but still happy.

photo?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

lot of Photon's signed up for the Nats. Should be a good showing for all.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rod M
lucky I have the stock and scales

7x steel is about 10g
7x alloy is about 5g
Thanks Rod!

They look great....

The Photon servo saver does seem a little flexible with the servo mod so xray saver is on the list..

I'll post a pic asap, will not be pretty (Will use phone )
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex2.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Here she is...
very good istallation!
compliments!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.