Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great info all around on the gear diffs!!

I have valve lapping compound in the garage... ill try that on mine. Has anyone messed with any synthetic axle greases used for 1:1 cars?

I have some 10k... i guess ill assemble it with that first, and will just have to wheel it for results.

Also... i have a ball diff apart and some Rulon pads that i am going to mod for a front slipper spool. It worked really well in my last car... so i figured it was worth a shot.

Anyone know where i can find 8 degree caster blocks? I would like that much caster with the front arms flat. My current spool setup would feel perfect in and out of a corner with that much caster...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lutz
Why donīt you use the original spool?
Spool with steel cup original work very well, but after 25/30 Run
Stell cup damaged plastic spool...
For this reason, I prefer to use litemodz Spool...
for The Rear diff, Use Yokomo Geardiff...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Yes the steel outdrives damaged the plastic spool of my team mate, too.
I didnīt have this problem, but last I disassembled my car to fit a gear diff instead of the spool I noticed, that the steeloutdrives where a little loose in the spool. So I figure it would have damaged the spool the next packs, but tighten the screw would solve the problem and the spool would still last longer.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
The uPro diffs are meant for 17.5 speed or slower.

I have tested the yokomo diff and it works well, even for modified.

Here is the part number:

Part# BD-500GS
BD-500GS - BD5 Gear Diff

They are a little hard to get right now.
Are these BD5 gear diffs a direct fit
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

Originally Posted by eddie10

I have not done it myself but Ed told thereis shimming involved. No biggie!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Just some shimming and youīll need to sand down the blades a bit to make them thinner. Thats all and needīs maybe 5min
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
Spool with steel cup original work very well, but after 25/30 Run
Stell cup damaged plastic spool...
For this reason, I prefer to use litemodz Spool...
for The Rear diff, Use Yokomo Geardiff...
I had the same problem over the weekend too.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old-man
I had the same problem over the weekend too.
Steven Weiss use Standard Spool with plastic CUP, modified class indoor
no problem for you....
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just tried my micro pro diff. I just removed 2 shims from the axil side of the planetary gears. This seems to free the thing up quite a bit. Since I was looking to break the thing in a little more I just left the stock silicon grease in and it was great. I really like the way it feels out of the corners.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

i have been glueing my cups in my spool for about a year now, man i have had some bad wrecks also with no issues with them breakin thru or loosining up lol. i been using speaker glue from digital designs, its a thick black glue thats not brittle but hard as can be. i will prep the plastic by scoring the inside of the spool a bit with a exacto then sand the spool a bit to rough it up put a few drops in the spool and set it in and allow it to come up into the spool a bit then tighten it up with the screw and its ready to rock.
i have a spool in my tc that has 1.3mm shimms between the spool and cups glued in and about 2weeks ago i snaped a spool cup (steel!) in 2!! but glue held but it did trash the hole thing . did save the other cup using a dremel. lol
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default lipo chassis ??

has anyone played with different chassis and top decks ??

ive just brought a super stiff lipo chassis kit ( with the bling bits ! ) , this car is only used on high grip carpet with sorex 32 tyres ... , when i normaly use the std 6cell chassis with a mod'd foam top deck ..

but i was wondering when it comes to changing all the bits over , whats the best top deck worth fitting ...

as i said its got the std 6cell chassis fitted at the moment and its set up pretty much how i like it !!
althou my other photon has a std lipo chassis fitted and that goes pretty well on carpet , even thou its mainly used for tarmac on sorex 32's

please help, i have an important race meeting coming up next weekend , and i dont wanna go backwards ...
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by eddie10
Difference in weight between bd5 gear diff and photon stock diff is big?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shaun207
has anyone played with different chassis and top decks ??

ive just brought a super stiff lipo chassis kit ( with the bling bits ! ) , this car is only used on high grip carpet with sorex 32 tyres ... , when i normaly use the std 6cell chassis with a mod'd foam top deck ..

but i was wondering when it comes to changing all the bits over , whats the best top deck worth fitting ...

as i said its got the std 6cell chassis fitted at the moment and its set up pretty much how i like it !!
althou my other photon has a std lipo chassis fitted and that goes pretty well on carpet , even thou its mainly used for tarmac on sorex 32's

please help, i have an important race meeting coming up next weekend , and i dont wanna go backwards ...
I've played around with the 6-cell vs Lipo chassis with each of the top decks. There's not a lot to choose between them, but I personally find the lipo chassis carries more corner speed while the 6-cell one is more pointy into and out of the corners

The wings are the key though !!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris_dono
I've played around with the 6-cell vs Lipo chassis with each of the top decks. There's not a lot to choose between them, but I personally find the lipo chassis carries more corner speed while the 6-cell one is more pointy into and out of the corners

The wings are the key though !!!
hi chris

can you remember what you decided on in the end , chassis / top deck / std wings ???

cheers for your help
Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shaun207
hi chris

can you remember what you decided on in the end , chassis / top deck / std wings ???

cheers for your help
Lipo chassis, medium top deck, medium wings all round is a good starting point on 32's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.