Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Speaking of shocks, when I was having trouble adjusting my ride height I mentioned something about using Tamiya shocks and somebody made a comment that Tamiya shock don't work with TOP. Just wondering why?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Speaking of shocks, when I was having trouble adjusting my ride height I mentioned something about using Tamiya shocks and somebody made a comment that Tamiya shock don't work with TOP. Just wondering why?
I think the problem was not the Tamiya shocks, and it was because the wrong type of rod ends was used. It was too long which made the spring seats being elevated several mm's resulting added ride height.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old-man
I think the problem was not the Tamiya shocks, and it was because the wrong type of rod ends was used. It was too long which made the spring seats being elevated several mm's resulting added ride height.

That's whT I thought. Anybody else care to comment. My reason is I a perfectly good tam shox and instesd of upgrsding my to shox, might as well use the blue one.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So I was at one of our two day track events last weekend, and I got a chance to drive another photon drivers car. there were only 3 of us there. (2 in stock 1 in mod LOL). Man his car felt smooth as can be! I was in shock of how much different it drove. I was looking at it and our set ups were really close to the same. Then I noticed he was running ML roll center in the rear and MH roll center in the front. He said it helped him from traction rolling at his track because they had so much traction there.

Question is what all does that do to the car? Seems to me that it would make it not want to dive in the corner and make it push.

Last edited by Mr.A Morris; 12-08-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
So I was at one of our two day track events last weekend, and I got a chance to drive another photon drivers car. there were only 3 of us there. (2 in stock 1 in mod LOL). Man his car felt smooth as can be! I was in shock of how much different it drove. I was looking at it and our set ups were really close to the same. Then I noticed he was running ML roll center in the rear and MH roll center in the front? He said it helped him from traction rolling at his track because they had so much traction there.

Question is what all does that do to the car? Seems to me that it would make it not want to dive in the corner and make it push.

You have to tell us what you are running compared to him for us to tell you what it does.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheehtae
That's whT I thought. Anybody else care to comment. My reason is I a perfectly good tam shox and instesd of upgrsding my to shox, might as well use the blue one.
you can use tamiya shocks on the photon... on the bottom of the (tamiya) shock use the stock photon ball end and ball..on the top of the shock you must use the tamiya ball mount ....If you have the version 2 photon shocks use the 40 orings and you will be fine no need to use the tamiya shocks...if you dont have version 2 shocks you can just get the v2 teflon shock guide (po-psh002) and version 1 shocks will be alot better...
Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

So I was at one of our two day track events last weekend, and I got a chance to drive another photon drivers car. there were only 3 of us there. (2 in stock 1 in mod LOL). Man his car felt smooth as can be! I was in shock of how much different it drove. I was looking at it and our set ups were really close to the same. Then I noticed he was running ML roll center in the rear and MH roll center in the front. He said it helped him from traction rolling at his track because they had so much traction there.

That's what the high front roll centre will do. It will take a bit of steering away, and no doubt feel a bit smoother most of the time. I feel it also generate a more natural balance between the roll centre progression during cornering, so the car will feel a bit more "together" with the slightly raised front roll centre.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's what the high front roll centre will do. It will take a bit of steering away, and no doubt feel a bit smoother most of the time. I feel it also generate a more natural balance between the roll centre progression during cornering, so the car will feel a bit more "together" with the slightly raised front roll centre.
Great thanks for the info SOSIDGE.. That makes sence. I didnt want to change my set up right before the mains and not have it work. I will have to play around with that the next track day I get.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Arron, I will post my set-up later so you guys can figure it out.

The biggest difference is that he is running the older car, and I am running the updated car. But he has done really well with what has.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah also had a fun weekend with Chad and Aaron in Mod with the Photon. pretty much kept my weird setup from home with ML Roll center blocks all around. stood the shocks up and through some new tires and got the steering high speed steering I was looking for.

Barely ever run Mod and was lured in by the guys... but I really need to work on the old push brake skills. could pull off a glory lap of 9.2 but the leaders were 9.0 and 9.1's consistently.

My whack out setup, using 6 cell foam chassi, foam front wing, rubber rear wing.

Front:

Ride Height 5.25
Springs 393
oil 55
third hole from all the way in on shock tower
1.4mm front bar
short wheel base
ML roll center
standard roll center plate center hole
6 Degree Castor block
10 Ackerman full forward
Alum Steering Blocks
+1/2 front Toe
-1-3/4 front Camber
1.5m droop up travel

REAR

Ride Height 5.50
Springs 17lb corraly
oil 35
1st hole from all the way in on shock tower
long wheel base
ML roll center
Alum Blocks inner hole
new alum camber link plates
-3-1/2 Rear Toe
- 2-1/2 Rear Camber
2.0m droop up travel

The car was great it was just and handful with a mod motor and 6ft lanes..... it seems to get it done at home also being one of only 3 or 5 cars that had run 26 laps.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Remind me...when you say ML, does that mean the Line on the holder is down ?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrp
Remind me...when you say ML, does that mean the Line on the holder is down ?
yes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
I thought the high rollcenter make the car roll less and react quicker back to neutral position...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey there Arron, here is the set-up I ended up with on Sunday. The chassis I used is the Stiff Lipo chassis with the 2.5mm top deck. When you drove my car, it didn't have the sway bars on it.

Front
Ride height:5.5
Springs: 344
Oil:45
4th hole in on the tower
Medium wheelbase
Mh roll center
4 Degree Castor block
10 Ackerman middle
+1/2 front Toe
-1-1/2 front Camber
3m droop up travel

REAR

Ride Height 5.50
Springs 306
oil 40
4th hole in on shock tower
medium wheelbase
ML roll center
-3 Rear Toe
- 2-1/2 Rear Camber
3m droop up travel
1.4 sway bar
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the new top order site is great, has all you need and fast service
i orderd 4:00 monday and recived 4:00 wednesday
www.topracingusa.com/store

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.