Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gear Diffs

Just a quick one about gear diffs....

Ive had 3 or 4 of these now and every signal one feels different when I get it out the packet. Even after a rebuild with the same oil they feel different also. Some feel really smooth whereas others feel notchy (but not where it locks up), but you can feel the gears turning, if that makes sense.

For example, when in the car, with one diff I turn the wheel and it turns the whole drive train (10.5 and pinion attached), but when turned in a diff action it feels nice and smooth, where as another will let me spin it without moving the drive train.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CouldbeFaster

Ive had 3 or 4 of these now and every signal one feels different when I get it out the packet. Even after a rebuild with the same oil they feel different also. Some feel really smooth whereas others feel notchy (but not where it locks up), but you can feel the gears turning, if that makes sense.

For example, when in the car, with one diff I turn the wheel and it turns the whole drive train (10.5 and pinion attached), but when turned in a diff action it feels nice and smooth, where as another will let me spin it without moving the drive train.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Even though tolerances are pretty small, you will still see a difference between diffs. Shims may not be equal or maybe more lube in one. I ran 120k in the front last weekend and while rebuilding it, I took it apart about 3 times to get the right amount of lube in the diff. Too little lube and it will spin too free for the weight of oil. Too much lube and it will leak and feel funny. Trial and error.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alienpower
Brandnew

one piece spur/pulley for the Top Photon (pictured below). It is made from black acetal, a strong general engineering plastic and being one piece, is 100% concentric, machined to a very high standard. It has 12 holes drilled through the spur part to make the component as light as possible. It is available in various tooth sizes in both 64dp and 48dp

Made in EU!!

AP1006488 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 88T
AP1006496 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 96T
AP10064100 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 100T
AP10064104 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 104T
AP10064106 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 106T
AP10064108 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 108T
AP10064110 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 110T
AP1004880 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 48p - 80T
AP1004884 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 48p - 84T

http://kingrc.cc
Originally Posted by yokemad
Costs 4xspurgear !
Pls make it a bit more affordable,stripping spur gear is not very hard especially on a car has that much flex...
Looing at the site thay are about 20 euros ( about 25 us dollars).. Looks sweet...
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Costs 4xspurgear !
Pls make it a bit more affordable,stripping spur gear is not very hard especially on a car has that much flex...
You´re stripping spur gears often?
I haven´t striped one since two years.
But I use the 48dp ones
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Yes mate One of the team driver suggested me to use 48dp spur gear ,many team driver using 48dp over here...
5 euro or pound is ok but I can't afford 20 everytime...
But I must say I love that product ,a little pricey that's all...
Anyways ordered alloy pulley set I can't wait for delivery
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CouldbeFaster

Is this normal?

Thanks
I've messed around with these diffs a bit, you're right, they're a little inconsistent. Mark the case when you're taking the diff apart and re-assemble it the same way. Don't over-tighten the case screws, it'll bind it up, just need the o-ring to make contact. Like Tony said, play around to get the right amount of lube. I've found that over-filling was causing my diffs to weep fluid, too little would likely melt them down. JMO
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Yes mate One of the team driver suggested me to use 48dp spur gear ,many team driver using 48dp over here...
5 euro or pound is ok but I can't afford 20 everytime...
But I must say I love that product ,a little pricey that's all...
Anyways ordered alloy pulley set I can't wait for delivery
Out of interest is that €5 for a spur ?

€20 would cover a spur and a set of centre pulleys I'm guessing if that's the case.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Yes mate true ...
That new item is one piece sandwich pulley and spur together very good idea should run true like that but if it goes wrong we need to bin it as it is with pulleys =€20
Not very big deal but you know
Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

You know that gear diff gives too much extra rotation to the car ,thicker oil helps to slow it down but is there any alternative setup changes to archive that ?
Like toe-in angle etc...
I wish the size of the gear diff was similar to spec-r one
Thanx in advance...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Even though tolerances are pretty small, you will still see a difference between diffs. Shims may not be equal or maybe more lube in one. I ran 120k in the front last weekend and while rebuilding it, I took it apart about 3 times to get the right amount of lube in the diff. Too little lube and it will spin too free for the weight of oil. Too much lube and it will leak and feel funny. Trial and error.
Are you just filling it up to the cross bar?

Where is everybody getting there gear diffs from?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.

Timezone has gear diffs.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

I got some from RacingArt Company and from topracing australia.
www.kingrc.cc and www.topracing.net.au
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How much more do the alloy pulleys weigh than the stock ones? Just curious if this would effect the total rotational mass of the drive train. Granted brushless motors are making things easier, but I just wonder if they really are worth putting on the car. Or just buying an extra set of the the stock ones. For quick gear changes.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

To be honest I don't know the benefit of using alloy one...
I was thinking it may fit better to kawada spurgears but rcmarket said they didn't improve that point
Maybe you should try that one piece spurgears...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.

Diffs are in stock at TOP USA. I remove the planetary gear and fill the sides to the top of the internal gear. I put it all back together and give it a few spins. This lets the oil work it's way through the whole case. It usually takes a little more fluid after this. I take it back apart and fill to the top of the internal gear again. Done. Don't overtighten the screws and tighten them opposite of each other a little at a time.

The center pulley is pretty nice. Fits very well and spins very free from obstruction. The best part is that you don't have to glue the sides on. I didn't have a scale to measure the difference, but the aluminum piece is heavier than the plastic original.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.