Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I'm with you and more of a prototype guy too...another one I'd really love to see are the current Daytona Prototypes as this year they are really nice
Currently there's a DB9 shell on my pan car, running just for fun. It seems narrow GTP and prototype bodies are hard to get in the USA.

But if anybody know a source of the 1012 Toyota LeMans car, please post it! As well as sources for Daytona Prototypes or other LeMans bodies.

Last edited by F1Jet; 08-17-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Rookie

anyone know of a place where I can get the Lamborghini Countach wheels (rims) from? I have a Sprint 2Sport in the process of getting an italian makeover. I want the original look wheels. The body is from a Tamiya set, but I dont see a part number, or place to get those wheels anywhere!

thanks,

A-
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Rookie

turns out a quick email to Tamiya and bam! rims on the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

I don't mean to throw a wrench into this thread but what if someone made WGT legal Protofab Camaro bodies such as this http://www.historictransamimsa.com/M.../protofab.html or this http://www.historictransamimsa.com/M...e_baldwin.html

If Protoform got this going I would buy one in a heartbeat (even though I race short course). I just love the look of the old IMSA/TA Camaros
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Body selection for this class will hopefully get better
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Charlie Brown, I am with you that we need more WGT legal bodies. In regard to your affection for historic Trans Am bodies, are you familiar with VTA?

scott
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
i'm going to tey a p37n or srs 200mm nitro sedan body on mine and see how they work , i cant see a true nitro sedan race body like the protoforms handling bad and looking at the dimesions there close just a little taller. i dont see why any of the 200mm sedan bodies of any make are are not legal in the class. granted some of the more scale looking bodies would not handle like the sophia or a true race body but it seems people are really tiring of the limited body choices for these cars
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tnt2671
i'm going to tey a p37n or srs 200mm nitro sedan body on mine and see how they work , i cant see a true nitro sedan race body like the protoforms handling bad
They work very well. 13 years ago when Associated brought out the RC10L3T we all bought them and ran with Protoform Mulsanne shells. Once production stopped on the Mulsannes we tried everything, Celica, Diablo, 911, Supra, etc. but the fast guys went for the various Dodge Stratus and they did go very well. You just need some very long body posts.

i dont see why any of the 200mm sedan bodies of any make are are not legal in the class.
Just like VTA and USGT, the whole point was to limit what bodies can be used so the class is defined by body style. You can't run LMP bodies as that makes it too centred on speed and it's just a bigger 1/12th car. You can't run a saloon as there would be nothing to differentiate them from touring cars to a spectator when you see them on the track. The point was to limit it to more scale shells like the HPI range, then Parma and Protoform showed up.

Here in the UK we have a list of 30 bodies to choose from for WGT, almost all of them HPIs scale GT shells. Everyone still runs a Sophia. If you had a list of a hundred bodies, everyone would still end up running one or two types.

The biggest pan car class we have in the UK right now is GT12, using Mardave V12 and Schumacher Supatox cars and a limited selection of bodies. The big thing about the bodies is that they all come from one company that designs them for looks and not for aerodynamics. There are differences in handling between them, but if an aerodynamic body like the Sophia appeared it certainly wouldn't be allowed.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
They work very well. 13 years ago when Associated brought out the RC10L3T we all bought them and ran with Protoform Mulsanne shells. Once production stopped on the Mulsannes we tried everything, Celica, Diablo, 911, Supra, etc. but the fast guys went for the various Dodge Stratus and they did go very well. You just need some very long body posts.

Just like VTA and USGT, the whole point was to limit what bodies can be used so the class is defined by body style. You can't run LMP bodies as that makes it too centred on speed and it's just a bigger 1/12th car. You can't run a saloon as there would be nothing to differentiate them from touring cars to a spectator when you see them on the track. The point was to limit it to more scale shells like the HPI range, then Parma and Protoform showed up.

Here in the UK we have a list of 30 bodies to choose from for WGT, almost all of them HPIs scale GT shells. Everyone still runs a Sophia. If you had a list of a hundred bodies, everyone would still end up running one or two types.

The biggest pan car class we have in the UK right now is GT12, using Mardave V12 and Schumacher Supatox cars and a limited selection of bodies. The big thing about the bodies is that they all come from one company that designs them for looks and not for aerodynamics. There are differences in handling between them, but if an aerodynamic body like the Sophia appeared it certainly wouldn't be allowed.
GT12, the one class that may get me back in to racing.
TC got way to costly with tyres that only last 2 runs before the edge goes, which meant 3 sets just for a club meeting at £25 ($40) a set.
GT10 went indoors and forced the issue of control tyres and 1s, so my 2s 17.5 CRC PF Corvette and my huge supply of GRP Magenta tyres were of zero use (still got 10 sets of tyres).
GT12 looks good, but lack of fund prevent me buying car and cells for that class, so looks like my 16 months of retirement will continue.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
Body selection for this class is fine, there's already two, and Dale has another in the works. It's no different than any other class. Everyone will gravitate toward the shells that work, and you'll end up seeing a class of only one or two bodies. Like the LTC-R and Speed6's in TC, and The AMR and R8C's in 12th scale stock that's just how it goes..
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if somebody made a nicely proportioned 911 GT body that would fit the current WGT chassis, I'd gladly run it........even if the performance wasn't quite the equal of a Sophia. IMO, it's been way too long since we were running realistic looking RC cars. I love the WGT class, but it would sure be nice to have the option of making the WGT cars look more like actual race cars. My 1st choice would be a WGT painted up in the traditional (and still being run at Daytona and Lemans) Brumos Porsche livery. How cool would that be??
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

The Protoform Mulsanne started life as a 911GT1 and was later changed slightly to avoid patent/copy right issues. Beautiful body! Here's mine:

HPI has a nice 911 GT3 in 200mm...however it is made for TCs so the wheel wells will be a bit large for the WGT tires.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17541/
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sure would be cooler if they were more realistic
http://youtu.be/DcgNcUBSwWI

Last edited by bucknuts; 02-14-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Realistic GT bodies won't fit the cars, Dale Epp of Protoform gave this overview in a different thread:

"I’m really confused by many of the comments I’ve read here however. Comments about the inevitable demise of what “might have been a great class”. Wow. So much negativity. Have you guys been hangin’ with Obama or something? Or maybe they’re just former Tamiya TCS racers looking at a way of going a bit faster. ??

When the WGT rules started to take shape last year there were a few things that were very predictable. Because this is a “racing” class, it means that racers - doing what they do best, won’t leave a thing on the table in the search for speed and handling. They’ll push the envelope everywhere possible. It’s the “normal” thing to do in every form of motorsports in the world - and always has been. Why on earth would you guys expect companies like Parma or Protoform to supply WGT racers with “performance compromised” race-bodies? There’d be quite a few other (asian) body companies who would oblige them real quickly with a serious “race” body.

I knew last summer that because the WGT would be using pan car chassis, the front tires would be raced at 2.1 inch diameter, and the rears would be approximately the same (or a hair larger). That’s a full 28% under true scale size in the front and 33% undersize in the rear. Now – by comparison, the WGT minimum height rule of 104mm is only 18% lower than the true scale height of a GT Car.
As a body designer this leaves you with 2 choices. Either I make a scale looking body that looks awesome when not mounted – but ridiculous when put on the car – or I use the pre-determined tire OD as a guide to how the body shape and dimensions are to be configured. A real 1:1 GT racer has front tires that are 26.5 in. dia and the rears are 28 in. dia. (or a scale 2.65 in. fronts and 2.8 in dia rears) The 1:1 GT cars in the area of 48 in. tall (or a scale 122mm)

I know I'm bombarding you with a lot of numbers, but that's the only way I can possible show you the dynamics of what you're all talking about. Please take a moment and think it through. As can be seen, Paul and myself have chosen to do the second of the two options. When I go to the local club track, there’s always a few guy running the ultra-realistic bodies on their cars, running at the back of the c-main – and having serious traction rolling problems. The guys running “racing” bodies just seem to be having more fun. Forgive me for being presumptuous.

If you guys are so serious about a scale look for the WGT class, why don’t you think about lobbying the sanctioning bodies for new minimum diameter tire OD rules? Hey, it’s the VTA mandated HPI wheels and tires that make the Vintage Trans Am class so realistic and very cool looking. You simply can’t have it both ways – and yet there’s a myth out there that it’s somehow possible.
"
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Bodies like the 911 GT-1, CLK GT-R, and McLaren f1 are far better fits for WGT chassis, but the rules were laid out for "front-engined gt cars" This of course, totally eliminates the most prolific and iconic GT racing car of all time, the 911, but whatever.

Since we're arguing about scale realism in this class, does that mean I should jump in the USGT thread and start demanding that the McLaren F1 body that HPI produces be banned? It looks far less like it's full scale counterpart than either of the popular WGT bodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.