Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Martin, is this what you use on the diff halves? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUST7&P=SM

I think I'll order some. I didn't get to race my car this weekend. I guess it was a good thing. I'll try it out this coming weekend. Got the graphite arm set all mounted up, and the aluminum diff and bones all mounted in. Man that diff is just unbelievably smooth!

I'll have to try that superglue on the steering posts.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

anyone know where i can get my hands on the roche spool?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default fat to CVD

hello martin you could indicate what amount of fat put on for CVD do not check the spread of aluminum
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone have any news on the release of the Lipo chassis for the BD-5. I saw it on some show site and haven't seen news of it again.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Well,

We had the 4th race of the championship in Bursa Bumod Track. The car was ok. during the practices I kep breaking spool outdrives and finally I ran out of spares.

I had ordered Titanium racing spool with alot of spare spools but to my demise I found out that the out drive aluminum ring is alittle small and the shaft pins wont fit in it. So that out the window I place the steel spool KS Chu sent me.

I cut the top deck couple times to get what I wanted and the car flexes nicely.

I ran a Kawada 75T 48P spur that is reamed out for the motor screw and TR 20T pinion LRP SXX and X12 4.5T motor.

I had to modify the rear shocks as I have no springs for the yoke so I converted the rear shocks to use rayspeed spring holders and ball cup. Yoke plastics are just too cheesy and strip out very easily. I used tamiya reds on the rear.

moved the rear sway bar to front.

removed alot of screws from the top deck.

I broke the lap record for the track and missed the 1st place when the steering linkage came off from the center and cost me one of the triple a-mains. Over all I finished 3rd, as I had won one of the mains and places 2nd on the other.

And sold the car on the spot to one of my friends.

I ll post pics of the chassis when I have the pics and uploaded.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good. I'd like to see where you cut your top deck. I'm thinking about doing that for one of our low traction tracks here.

Sold your car? What car you getting next?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fpart
Does anyone have any news on the release of the Lipo chassis for the BD-5. I saw it on some show site and haven't seen news of it again.
I'm waiting on it too. But the only thing I don't like about it is that it's wider (or at least looks wider in the pics). So that may mean more chassis scrub on some tracks.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Sounds good. I'd like to see where you cut your top deck. I'm thinking about doing that for one of our low traction tracks here.

Sold your car? What car you getting next?

Too bad I have to part with the body....

I moved the sway bar connection to the front. I couldnt find any longer sway bars so I just used it the way it is. but using a longer bar would help. also you can see how the top deck is cut and mounted. I didnt mount the forward screws for the rear piece which allowed for great flexing and the short carbon pieces keeps everything straight. you must be careful and not shim the center shaft completely to the left or right.

again you can see the groove cut for the lipo wiring on top deck

removed the steering post and the rear 2 screws. I also shimmed the steering post to remove slop. at the time I didnt have the shims to shim the bearings but I just got them and will take care of that.

sorry for the blurry picture. but you can see the thin cut on the top deck. I cut it sideways to compensate for the wiring groove. I wanted to go strainght but went alittle at an angle

you can see from this angle the top deck cuts. this allows easy removal of the lay shaft.

I haven't decided what to get yet, but I am thinking about Xray atm. I used tamiya for 3 years and I didnt plan to switch but I couldnt find any cars to buy so I got a yoke. another problem with tamiya has been the fact that they reduced their manufacturing quality.

Not too bad considering the problems I had and as I expected there is alot of potential to the car if you put the time and effort to it, problem is I am just too lazy and want alittle more for my money then just sentimental value...

oh and I just noticed I broke the race record as well. old one was 7:17 now its down to 7:09. hmmm maybe I wont sell it

Good luck to all and if you need question don't hesitate to PM me.. as we will keep working on the car.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

toughbeard, r u running in low traction track till u wan to make your car so fleX??
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kschu
toughbeard, r u running in low traction track till u wan to make your car so fleX??
yes other wise it wont turn.. and thats using 28 shore tires...

By the way the solid worked excellent thanks m8.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

I use WD-40 to lubricate bearings and driveshafts

omg poor car ...

well anyway

here's some setup update for you people.

the one is from the recent euros in Luxemburg and the other one from the ETS in Andernach 1 or 2 weeks before the euros.
Attached Thumbnails New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-bd5_ets_andernach.jpg   New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-bd5_euros_2009_luxemburg.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

my starting setup for tight, high grip and high temp track....
Attached Thumbnails New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-tawau-setup.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

How did it feel with the diff in the high position in the rear? I'm trying roll center changes this weekend if the weather holds out. But it'll be a flowing track on Saturday and a tight parking lot track on Sunday.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
How did it feel with the diff in the high position in the rear? I'm trying roll center changes this weekend if the weather holds out. But it'll be a flowing track on Saturday and a tight parking lot track on Sunday.
i only feel d front hv a little bit more steering n sensitive after i chg d rear diff to high position.....but this might differ to others....please try and let me know how u feel ...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Team Yokomo A Main TQ and Top 3 in last sunday race...

more pictures is here

Last edited by kschu; 08-13-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.