Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAL
The bearing holes fit tighter on the updated part. It will also help you get rid of those "chicken strips" They are in CA, you'll get the part in two days or so.

http://www.driftspeed.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1699
Yep, I've got that part. I was looking for the "refined steering bel cranks".

p.s. Driftspeed has perhaps THE best customer service of any R/C online store I've used, and I've used a few.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Yep, I've got that part. I was looking for the "refined steering bel cranks".

p.s. Driftspeed has perhaps THE best customer service of any R/C online store I've used, and I've used a few.
I think that is the refined part. Maybe the translation is a bit misleading. I will try to find out.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddd2k
I had the same problem before so I end up using xray C-hub and steering block which I also converted to xray ECS to eliminate the chatter. The car width is the same.
Awesome info, thank you very much for putting that up. Does it matter which length of X-Ray ECS's are used?

Thanks!

Mike Slaughter
Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

If they ever go "full line" I would be ecstatic..... And very broke....

Or even broker if they started carrying more Honda parts.....

Mike Slaughter
Old 03-16-2011, 02:39 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by masterhit
If they ever go "full line" I would be ecstatic..... And very broke....

Or even broker if they started carrying more Honda parts.....

Mike Slaughter
Yeah not too many Honda's in drifting. The GT500 cars look very tempting. They should be in stock soon. I think it could be a good class to bring down the cost of on-road for new people or racers on a budget looking for a "fun" class. If something like a Speed Passion Cirtix combo is used in the car, speedo and motor the cost would be around $300. And most people have stick packs from their 10th scale TC or off-road cars that will drop right in. No need for a 1s speedos or lipo packs. They are basically the Yokomo 1/12th scale cars with rubber tires and a gear diff. Keep in mind that design won the World Championship in 1/12th scale.

http://www.teamyokomo.com/jpn/index.htm

Especially this one, since you like Hondas:

http://www.teamyokomo.com/gt/lineup/hsv/gt5_hsv.html

Masami interviews Yokomo staff about the GT500 cars:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

GT500 with 17.5 on Yatabe Carpet Layout

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Default GT500

And on indoor asphalt...

+ YouTube Video
Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Martin has posted on how to fix the steering slop if you are using the older stuff. I did this along with the plastic in the ball cup trick and have no slop in the steering.

Martin Hofer:
remove the 0.3mm shim between steering plate and steering plate holdes and replace it with a 0.1mm shim, put some ca into the holes of the steering plate where the flanged bearing goes in but let it dry before pushing in the bearing
this way you can take it apart if necessary
additionally:
put some (very small amount) ca on the steering posts, where the bearings of the steering plate holder are later, but first do the lower bearing, let the CA dry, push the bearing on, then put some ca on the area where the upper bearing will go, let dry and then push the steering plate holder along with the upper bearing on
place a 4*6*0.25mm spacer on top and screw it all back together

and tatatata you got a 100% slopfree steering
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masterhit
Awesome info, thank you very much for putting that up. Does it matter which length of X-Ray ECS's are used?

Thanks!

Mike Slaughter

Both 52 and 50mm will fit but I can feel when the car bottoms down the 52 seems has some resistance on corners...the 50mm is the perfect fit.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

+1 Tony is great!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Finally got this resized so I could attach it, sorry for poor quality. Here is my setup I have been using that has been working very well for me. It got cut off in the notes but I am using the 2nd generation bd rear sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails New Yokomo TC, the BD-5-orrin-j-bd5-setup-294kb.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shopkeeper
Finally got this resized so I could attach it, sorry for poor quality. Here is my setup I have been using that has been working very well for me. It got cut off in the notes but I am using the 2nd generation bd rear sway bar.
Do you make the 1.0mm hole on the shox cap to get zero rebound?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dameetz
Do you make the 1.0mm hole on the shox cap to get zero rebound?
yes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

We've almost finished our chassis conversion kit for the BD5 and I wanted to share some initial photos and images with you all.

We've done some fairly major weight distribution changes, the motor moves a whole 4mm closer to the centre of the car, and the chassis is perfectly symmetrical side to side for completely even flex.

I'll be getting some better photos of the conversion up on Friday, but in the meantime have a look at http://www.akularacing.co.uk/portfol...aracingar-01a/ for some initial photos and CAD images.

Let me know what you think, We're pretty happy with the performance so far - really looking forward to testing the new motor mount this weekend.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by university_dave
We've almost finished our chassis conversion kit for the BD5 and I wanted to share some initial photos and images with you all.

We've done some fairly major weight distribution changes, the motor moves a whole 4mm closer to the centre of the car, and the chassis is perfectly symmetrical side to side for completely even flex.

I'll be getting some better photos of the conversion up on Friday, but in the meantime have a look at http://www.akularacing.co.uk/portfol...aracingar-01a/ for some initial photos and CAD images.

Let me know what you think, We're pretty happy with the performance so far - really looking forward to testing the new motor mount this weekend.
To be honest, 135 pounds sounds a bit steep for what you're getting. How much faster were the laptimes when testing with this new chassis when compared to the w? It's good though finally there are aftermarket parts for this car which isn't made by yokomo.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

At the moment we've not done comparative performance tests of the whole conversion with the BD5W - the prototype layshaft and motor mount only arrived this week. We're testing tomorrow so should have some empirical data after that.

As for price that will be pretty much worst case, we're currently working with our supply chain to try and get the price down as much as we can. We're also looking at including all of the Photon parts you need to complete the conversion (although not the bearings as most racers will have that size as spares) but that will depend on how much cost it will add to the conversion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.