Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You will maybe experience three problems:

1. The F103 bodies will be a little short.
2. Unlike F104 bodies the front section is very low. There could occur a collision with the front suspension.
3. Again front suspension and the steering arm... In comparison to the F103 it is broader. So there is a chance you have to make space by cutting the body...

Sorry for the late answer
Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Most guys in my club suddenly bought Xrays X1 cars in the last two weeks. So F1 becomes a more important role... Finally

Today it was F1 training. I made my personal "Ferrari days" by driving the F1R2 conversion and my F201. Unfortunately the broad foam tires have to little grip to enjoy driving.
I already had this problem last time, but thought I could get rid of it with setup corrections. Today I tried other foam tires and succeeded on the rear. Now I need a little more grip in front
The car took the beating by the 10.5t motor very well. Its speed on the straight is awesome
I just need to change the old ballcups as the amount of slop is just too much to drive a precise line.

I really wish Exotek would do a chassis conversion for a 4wd F1 car.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

I continue my monologue

I am not sure if I ever spent so much time rebuilding and tuning a rc car

This time my aim was to get rid of all the slop in the suspension. I replaced all ballstuds and ballcups and widened the ballcups that hold the suspension arms. The last task was extremly effective: everything is free, but without slop. Awesome!

Additionally I want to try rubber tires and removed the very old tires from the williams wheels. I replaced them with Tamiya A-tires. Now I am curious how the car will perform

Nearly forgot to mention that I also replaced the hexes with clamp type ones. It always was annoying when the outer axle fell apart everytime I worked on the car.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Guys, I have 2 of these that I bought a couple of years ago. Are they competitive? Can they be made competitive? If they can, I will read the whole thread 'cause I like the challenge! If not, well.... They will be for sale.
F1 is taking off down here, so your help will be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

It depends on which class you want to run...
The F201 will have no problem at all to outperform a 2wd F1.

The problems could start with a limited motor. If you have to use a 21.5t then the straight speed will be slower as directdrive cars. Corner speed will be your strength. So it depends on the track layout in this case.
If you going to participate in touring car you can be there. This time aerodynamic downforce will be your weak point...and probably cost 2-4tenth.

You see were we are. The car is in between. The more open your F1 class is the better it will suit the F201 chassis.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I owned a few F201's and raced them against other F201's. It was a fun car to race.

At this point, most 1:10 F1 racing is for 2wd cars that are direct drive (straight rear axle cars). However, there have been other individuals who have run their F201 as a RWD only car.

The biggest issue with the F201 is gearing. In stock form there were only 2 gearing options for the F201 - "high speed" gear set and "stock" gear set. I believe that there was at least one company that made an aftermarket motor mount that allowed adjustable gearing, but that might be hard to find.

As stated above, running the same Final Drive Ratio in an F201 vs most other F1 cars can be a challenge. This is because the F201 has a gearbox and most other F1 cars are direct drive. There is another RWD F1 car out there (FXG?) that uses a gearbox instead of direct drive. You might do some research on that car to see what challenges they had with gearing.

As far as tuning, you may want to use some different springs for the shocks. Tamiya did sell a set of 3 different springs, but they are bit limited. The springs that are made for Associated micro shocks (side shocks for 3 shock pan cars) will fit perfectly on the F201 shocks.

One final thought is tires. Many F1 classes/tracks have either a spec tire or a tire that works best at their facility. The F201 only came with 3 tire choices - kit, A & B. If you can find them, the HPI F10 wheels/tires will also fit on the F201 (but might be expensive).

Hope this info helps.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There was also the pits in soft medium and hard compounds which were grooved tyres.

You can also use foams suited to nitro cars (at least some of them) also fit.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

I built an F201 for local competition about a year ago. It had the 3 Racing chassis conversion and adjustable motor mount. Gearing wise, I machined down a TB03 spur gear hub to a thickness of 2.5mm to allow the fitting of regular 48 pitch spur gears. (I used RW gears made for Xray TC) and was able to get down to around 2.9:1.
The car's only real downfall was it was a bit heavy, so on smooth open layouts the direct drive cars had a definite edge. But on tight or bumpy layouts it was very competitive, even managed to sneak into the A main a couple of times.
It was in 2wd configuration too.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It's a 17.5 boosted class in a indoor carpet track. 180 foot straight, foam is the tire of choice. I'm currently trying out my TRF 102 (yes, I love t-bars...) but like the challenge of trying to win without having the latest car....
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wtcc
You will maybe experience three problems:

1. The F103 bodies will be a little short.
2. Unlike F104 bodies the front section is very low. There could occur a collision with the front suspension.
3. Again front suspension and the steering arm... In comparison to the F103 it is broader. So there is a chance you have to make space by cutting the body...

Sorry for the late answer
Thanks for the answer, I ended up losing my auctions for an F201 chassis. But I accidentally won a set of 3Racing F201 dampers.

Does anyone want a set of MIP 3Racing shocks for the F201? PM if interested.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread so I'll post and check back weekly to see if there are any replies.

I am looking for a few hop up parts for this chassis.

Full set of blue rockers
Full set of blue shock bodies
Full set of aluminum pivot ball hubs

Anyone that has hop up parts that you would like to sell, I would be interested in hearing what you have.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

pm sent
Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread so I'll post and check back weekly to see if there are any replies.

I am looking for a few hop up parts for this chassis.

Full set of blue rockers
Full set of blue shock bodies
Full set of aluminum pivot ball hubs

Anyone that has hop up parts that you would like to sell, I would be interested in hearing what you have.
I have been able to locate a full set of blue shock bodies and they are on the way.

I would really like to secure a set of blue rocker arms if anyone has any information and/or is willing to part with a full set. I can only find the gray/gunmetal arms.

I recently stumbled across the F201 design and I am fascinated with it. I know it is no longer main stream but the engineering of it is incredible. I purchased an impeccable F201 on ebay recently and want to build it out with every hop up but I prefer to keep it all Tamiya blue for purist reasons.
I have pretty much read through this entire thread and have found it very interesting.

I am open to any feedback / suggestions / ideas from any past owners for any guidance on these cars.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

I'm also looking for a full set of aluminium rockers and Williams body, thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gurneyflap
I'm also looking for a full set of aluminium rockers and Williams body, thanks.
Are you looking for blue or gunmetal? The gun metal ones are available in a few different placed I have found online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.