Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fun at Village Raceway.

I am being very reserved with the car to keep it away from the pipes. I have the max throttle limited to 80% as well. It's amazing how easy this car is to control around a corner...predictable behavior. I know some say this chassis is slow due to weight and drive train efficiency losses but that was with a brushed stock setup...with a brushless setup this thing can be scary fast yet its drive system keep thing manageable and grippy. A 2wd pan car would have been undrivable on the unprepped track I was on based in what I experienced with my pan car the F201 seemed to work well

Last edited by eco8gator; 09-16-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Using the carbon reinforced A arms are probably best for anti-flex but still have some give. Normally, the plastic arms are paired with upper and lower braces that help reinforce the mounts.
​​​​​​
Once you start using the metal A arms and uprights the old plastic chassis shows its age and weakness. Probably it's undoing. Also speed and weight. Use a lightweight shorty and consider a 380motor system instead. Disengage the front drive train but consider leaving the diff in for weight/stability.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default F201

Bring your car out during race days because the track is well prepared and it will be easier to drive. We have a pretty good F1 class that will be fun to drive.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by astgerma52sp; 07-14-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by astgerma52sp
Bring your car out during race days because the track is well prepared and it will be easier to drive. We have a pretty good F1 class that will be fun to drive.
I usually make it out after the track day during the evening around 6:30-7 pm on Sunday. I typically drive 1/12th pan car that day because it's the only time I can use that car and it screams around that track especially the corners. It's a 2s lipo with 21.5T brushless setup.

The F201 is fantastic on the unprepped track. With a prepped track I am scared of the car traction rolling and putting too much lateral stress on the great box a arm mounting points but I'll definitally give it a try I am looking fwd to having an alternate aftermarket source for gear boxes...but I can use pro-e/creo and I have access to some really high end 3d printers...I may redesign the boxes too.

I will say I had a slight encounter with a barrier yesterday but I think my modified a arm screw configuration kepts things from breaking.

If my schedule is free the next track day I will stop by and bring a few toys

​​​​​​Here is one more drifting video.

​​​​​​
MatsNorway likes this.

Last edited by eco8gator; 07-14-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I can't wait for these gear cases to be ready. I need to buy like 4 sets of rears. I would love to get a class of these started at my local track here in Sacramento.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eco8gator
I usually make it out after the track day during the evening around 6:30-7 pm on Sunday. I typically drive 1/12th pan car that day because it's the only time I can use that car and it screams around that track especially the corners. It's a 2s lipo with 21.5T brushless setup.

The F201 is fantastic on the unprepped track. With a prepped track I am scared of the car traction rolling and putting too much lateral stress on the great box a arm mounting points but I'll definitally give it a try I am looking fwd to having an alternate aftermarket source for gear boxes...but I can use pro-e/creo and I have access to some really high end 3d printers...I may redesign the boxes too.

I will say I had a slight encounter with a barrier yesterday but I think my modified a arm screw configuration kepts things from breaking.

If my schedule is free the next track day I will stop by and bring a few toys

​​​​​​Here is one more drifting video.

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/Ebf2a8k56dc
our next club race is August 4th, Saturday night, 3pm practice opens. Hope you can race with us!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,

I sold my F201 a while back and I still have a few parts over....would you guys be interested in any of this ?

I have posted this stuff before in another thread but it did not generate a lot of interest.

F201 Parts....
Old 07-15-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

The only upgrade I need at this point is gear box housings.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

how much for the damper sets and k parts?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

I would be interested in the high speed gears.

I just picked up a second F201, this one had the complete 3Racing chassis upgrade. It looks SICK. The previous owner is delivering to my shop tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you guys could please PM for parts of interest I will respond.....
Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Was doing more tinkering with the car today and realized how important the rear tow linkage setup is and that it can significantly impact the steering trim.

This all started because I noticed that the front wheels were not pointed fwd but the car needed to be set that way to track straight. Then I noticed that the rear tow was off...so I adjusted my trim so that the front wheels were pointed fwd and worked on the rear tow linkage.

I found that the rear tow linkage setting has a significant impact on the steering trim and that just 1/4 turn made a big difference to how well the car tracks.

Last edited by eco8gator; 07-29-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Just received a stock chassis (everything is plastic, 0 upgrades) and I installed a spare 21.5 brushless setup I had laying around into it. The car drives nice, the motor stays cool but it's definitely not what I'd call fast.

And just for the record regarding weights:

Stock car with brushless motor: 1087g
Upgraded car with brushless motor: 1187g

Yep the plastic frame is lighter which is a good thing considering this car is already a pig.

You guys have also seen my highly upgraded car. Truthfully the only upgrade the car needed was a good brushless motor and ESC. Other than that I feel that the other stuff was unnecessary.

I hope Tamiya re releases this car with no motor...it's definitely a cool option worth offering to people. I'd actually release it as either and F1 or LeMans style car.

ae racer1, wtcc, aracefan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by eco8gator; 09-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eco8gator
Just received a stock chassis (everything is plastic, 0 upgrades) and I installed a spare 21.5 brushless setup I had laying around into it. The car drives nice, the motor stays cool but it's definitely not what I'd call fast.

And just for the record regarding weights:

Stock car with brushless motor: 1087g
Upgraded car with brushless motor: 1187g

Yep the plastic frame is lighter which is a good thing considering this car is already a pig.

You guys have also seen my highly upgraded car. Truthfully the only upgrade the car needed was a good brushless motor and ESC. Other than that I feel that the other stuff was unnecessary.

I hope Tamiya re releases this car with no motor...it's definitely a cool option worth offering to people. I'd actually release it as either and F1 or LeMans style car.

Link to those wheels and tires? They look awesome on this chassis and I'm sure they perform better than the F201 tires.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

I replaced the full sized servo on my FW24 with a super fast Futaba BLS257 Brushless Servo which really ramped up steering responsiveness and also reduced the AUW by about 100g. I had to drop the throttle to 60% max to keep myself out of trouble. The car is scary fast at 100% with a 10.5 T Brushless.

My wife did a much better job with the video this time; sorry about the kids yelling in the background.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.