Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Well....i thought Schuie would win today.....but not that way...I just dont agree with it...if it was the last race or 2 i could prolly go for it........Schuie should have got behing Ruben and pushed him across the line
Old 05-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

I wonder what the TRF version will be like.... can't wait..
Old 05-13-2002, 07:21 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

I've finually done it!!! Gone out and bought a F201!!

One question, does anyone have problems with the diff coming loose by itself. I have a friend who has this problem on his F201....used threadlock and everything else but no help.

I remember in the days of the Yokomo YR4, that diff also had this problem and Yokomo started releasing diff screws which were delibrately 'kinked' slightly to address the problem. Just wanted to see how widespread this issue is or whether it is just my friends building skills!!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:31 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I got to fun run the F201 on Sat. Man was that Fun! I was doing quite well with the car up till I hit the straight!

The car was quite the attention getter. The track owner was even thinking about bringing in some and running a class of them.

Right now though, I'm just interested in fun running. I'll stick in a mild stock motor for this weekend to see how it performs. Should be fun.

Dragon Slayer: If your looking for more F1 chat, check out the thread on the chat forum. I don't think anyones happy about what happened. I know I'm not, and I'm a huge Schumie fan. Never thought I would find myself hoping he didn't win on the final lap.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I too finally got a chance to run my F2001 this past weekend. First I must emphasize, we need better tires, soon!!! Although with the kit tires, and 60wt trinity oil, it didin't feel all that bad...handling was a little unsuring, but very consistant. And this thing can turn on a dime, although there is a lot of bump-steer, and with some good tires will be very nimble.

Was running a GMIII and speed wasn't far off from the stock touring sedans. Had good punch coming out of the corners. But when i got back to the pit that motor was smok'n...Now your probably thinking "it's smokin cause it's a GMIII" and you might be right but it's the same GMIII i use in my PRO3 with no problems...Next time will try a P2K and P2K2 in the F2001 to see how they feel after a run. Maybe the GMIII is just a bad choice for this car. Or maybe because the chassis is so enclosed that there is no air circulation to the motor...I personally think this is the main cause....

After getting al the attention at the local track, I can definitely see F1 making a strong comeback....Had a lot of people wanting up-close and personal views, and OOOHHHH's and AAHHH's from the crowd while on the track....

In my opinion, money well spent....Only real 'beef, NEED BETTER TIRES NOW!!
Old 05-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by OSherman
I too finally got a chance to run my F2001 this past weekend. First I must emphasize, we need better tires, soon!!! ...

In my opinion, money well spent....Only real 'beef, NEED BETTER TIRES NOW!!
Osherman,
You should try Foam! I'm running 26mm front and 30mm rear. Needs abit of shimming for the front tyres, a washer will do the trick to stop the front tyre rubbing the front knuckles.
I've only manage 2 to 3 pack for the car, not really run it yet. As dm posted earlier, my diff screw unwind itself on my first run!.. I'build it so it just stop slipping when turn.
But first impression is very good, abit slow with the original 540..Will work on the gearing next..I've brought a Tech Racing Front oneway for it too
Old 05-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the tip on foams, but around my area, we try to stay away from foams in any class...Don't wanna have to deal with the price of them first off, then the whole situation of foams 'chunking' very easily, then the tire-truers...Can easily turn into, whoever has the most money wins....Foam is for bumpers, rubber is for tires...

I think TAMIYAs A and B conpound worked just fine for the F103, should work fine for F201...

Would be really cool if they continue to come grooved...
Old 05-13-2002, 09:34 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by OSherman
I think TAMIYAs A and B conpound worked just fine for the F103, should work fine for F201...

Would be really cool if they continue to come grooved...
Do you know if the old F1 rubbers will fit the F201 wheels??
Old 05-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

No, they won't work...The "bead" is different for one reason....and the tires/wheels on the F201 are bigger than that of the F103....
Old 05-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

dtm

If you haven't gotten your diffs sorted out by now, try putting loctite on both the screw that holds the diff together and also the grub screw that is supposed to keep the main scew from backing out. I put a good sized drop on loctite on the tip of the grubscrew and my diffs haven't backed out, although other guys at the track on Sat did have problems.

OSherman

Don't believe the hype! Foams are usually less expensive than rubber and they don't chunk that easily. If you are really concerned about chunking them, rub some shoe goo around the edges of them. I usually give a nice bevel to the edges of the tires and it really reduces chunking. Besides, a chunk usually has little effect on the grip of the tires.
We are not allowing foams on F201's either. I'm pretty happy about that because it would ruin the scale appearance of them. I can't wait for some better tires, though! The kit tires are really poor. It's a good thing I decided to run Ralf Schumacher's Williams. The real life Michilens are poor too, so the crappy kit tires add to my scale apperance!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Regional Moderator

psycho: thats pretty funny about the "real Michelins"!

My tires held up pretty well. Of course I didn't run mine all that much.

After reading all your accounts on the diffs, I decided to check mine just now. Sure enough when I held down the tires and gave throttle "wrrrrrrrrrrr". There was hardly any resistance up front, and none in the rear! Thats insane that you can build the diffs exactly to specs, and the things still come lose so easily. I guess I'll have to try the thread lock method and see if that works.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Anybody try the Supersize tires and wheels from HPI that come in different compounds? I think they might fit and work for different tracks and weather conditions. Those 33R and 35R would be great for hotweather racing....
Old 05-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Well at least I know now my diff didn't loosen, it was never tight enough in the first place.

Is anyone else having problems getting their diffs tight. I'm not just talking about getting it to stay tight once you've set it. I'm talking about getting it tight period. I'm working on mine now, and no matter how far in I screw in the damn diff screw, and no matter how tight it feels afterward. As soon as I hold the tires and give it throttle, the damn diff slips! And thats only at about half throttle! As you can tell I'm getting pissed. Usually all I need to do is tighten a diff until I cant turn it by hand while the outdrives are secured. Then I toss it in a car, hold the wheels, give it full throttle and theres no slipping. This thing is crazy. This is the first Tamiya diff I've built, is this typical.

Is there a solution or is this thing going to keep slipping until it melts the frickin' diff gear?

Oh, well, back to tightening.........some more!
Old 05-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

I just received Tech-Racing delrin diffs. There won't be any problems with the screws backing out. Assembles like a std. diff with locknut at one end. The adjustable motor mount is sweet! 26t pinion is going in. The front and rear universals are smooth...just like MIP's. and the Front one-way...
Old 05-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Darkseid--> did you glue the diff-rings to the hubs?....that may be the slip you are getting....Guess i better check mine tonite...but with my experience wih 4WD sedans a little slip don't hurt. jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.