Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 07:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I finished building a detailing mine on Monday and Tuesday. Very, very nice car.

My only real issue is with the excessive play at the outdrives. After seeing it, I immediately went back and looked through the leftover parts, because I just knew that they had some washers or something to get rid of it. But no! Thats disappointing. Now I'll have to solve the problem myself. Which will be difficult considering that the Tamiya axles are thicker than the holes in the concave washers I normally use to get rid of play.

You know, back in '92 when I built my first Tamiya kit, I thought the manual was amazing. Then my next Tamiya kit in '95, the manual still seemed perfect. Now though...

...I don't feel the same way. After building a few Yokomo's and a few Schumacher's, Tamiya's manual seems simply out of date. I mean, by the time we finished the first few steps, nearly every bag was opened! Hell, I was running out of parts bins to put them in! I mean come on, I thought those days were passed. Tamiya needs to up date to the "one bag-one step" method, like everyone else.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Regional Moderator

One the lighter side though.... What a great looking car. Its one of those cars where you don't know whether to sit it with the body on or off!

I have to strap in a speedo and receiver, get rid of the outdrive play, and add some O-rings under the rear ball cups then I'll be all ready to take it out for a shake down run this Sat.

I'll run it with the kit motor first, before straping in the Cameleon, just for comparisons sake.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

LOL, yeah the parts bags should have been labeled and organized for the step by step assembly. I dumped all the bags on the table and sorted through it all.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Darkseid

You should pick up some turnbuckle tierods to replace the steering and rear toe links. It makes adjustment much easier since the stock tierods have the threads both going the same way. It looks like "big T" took a page out of HPI's marketing manual on that one!
Old 05-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Cadet,

Thanks for the link. So you're one of the guys who ran the Lewisville track. I had no idea. I ran with Bullseye a few times at FL in mod. If I make back down that way I'll have to stop by and check things out. As for your other track, where will it be? Is it the old offroad track in Mansfield?

My F201 is on the way! I can't wait.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Regional Moderator

psycho: I'm already working on that. I think theres really no excuse for threaded rods in this day and age. Thats just being cheap!

First impressions after getting the electronics in...

...MAN this car is big! Compared to the size of the F103, this thing is huge. It looks so real while I was driving around. I haven't put it to the pavement to test it out yet, but I will soon.

Its also a lot more quiet than I expected it to be. Pretty sweet so far. I think I'll wait till I go racing this Sat before I run it out side.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Socko :: I wish the Mansfield track was mine, I am just a guy with a big mouth promoting it. It's working so far. I get tons of e-mail and chat sessions about it. I even have someone offering VHT at a discounted rate.

www.rcware.com
Old 05-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

RCCadet......I won a motor at that race....would've liked the XXXS though Nice looking track...do the elec. sedans use Rubber tires.....what compound tires would you suggest?????

Anybody gonna put a sedan body on their F201?????or would that be TABOO?????lol
Old 05-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

I have not had an opportunity to run at ExtremeRC so I can't say what works and I don't want to guess at it.

At HTRLrc I use the HPI Advans, yes the pattern tires work best IMHO. I use the med-hard foam insert by HPI, I can't remember the color.

Bullseye uses a 22, 24, or 27 compound by Sorex and HPI. I don't know what insert he uses.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

No, No, No! Not a touring body on a F1.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Dragon Slayer
Anybody gonna put a sedan body on their F201?????or would that be TABOO?????lol
Shame on your for even having such a pagan thought!
Old 05-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

I didnt think that would go over very well......

Several years ago,i put a GTP body(Proto P35) on my F103, for my son......and he was very competitive against 10l's.....
Old 05-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

I've been racing an F103 with the Toyota TS020 body in pro-10. It's surprisingly competitive with the more advanced pan cars. When I'm on the drivers stand, I hear guys asking "is that a Tamiya car?" Little do they know it's 200 grams lighter than a 10L.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

any news whether tamiya will come out with a TRF version of their F201? are there different bodyshells available (other than the ferrari)?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Tamiya tends to release a TRF version as a model is late in it's lifecycle, so I doubt we will see one any time soon. Hopefully we'll see some TRF hop-up parts for it soon, though. One cool thing about F1 is that the real 1/1 cars look almost identical when they are unpainted, so you can paint your body to look like your favorite car. I'm driving Ralf Schumacher's Williams/BMW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.