Tamiya F201

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any news anyone?
Old 05-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've posted a new F201 article at http://www.formula1-rc.com with pictures and first impressions.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The car is extremely fast. I dropped a Chameleon in it with great results. I modified the motor mount and chassis to accept larger pinions. I can put a 27 tooth in now. I made a hole for a view of the gear mesh which I will cover with lexan.

There is some slop with the outdrive hubs but I cleaned that up and used o-rings to clean the slop with the balls studs and cups.

I really like this car. It is a fast ride. I don't know where the complaints of it running slow are coming from. It did have thick grease in the bearings so be sure to remove it from all the bearings.

Last edited by RCCadet; 05-07-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

the complaints from the 201 being slow are from the people using the Sport Tuned motor. A lot of us are trying to integrate it into our current F1 series which only allow kit motors. With the stock gearing and the black can you hit top speed after about 10 feet....and suffer all the way down the straight.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TheNige;
I read your review, very nice. What set up are you running. I see from the pics you have front wheel toe-out. Are you running the stock shock oil of 30wt. I was thinking of running with thicker oil maybe 60's or 50's. I'm about 1/4 assembled the car. Still waiting on option parts to arrive from Rainbow Ten and Tech-Racing. I'll be getting the graphite chassis direct from Tech. Can't wait.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

i think the camera lens made it look like there was toe out in the front....it was pretty neutral when I ran it though. I ran with the stock oil....a little too light but it seemed to work fine.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

If you don't clean up the slop the adjustments are moot. I use my Hudy for my settings. F-Camber: 2; F-Toe: +.5; R-Camber: 0; R-Toe: 2; everything else stock.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

AMEN, RCCadet

I just hope those rear hubs hold together. The arms that the tierods connect to look pretty weak.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Hoping for the rear hub to hold? Is it because of the way it floats on the suspension balls with out the linkage attached?

Lets face it! This car is fragile. I pulled out of this past weekends race because of the caliber of racers added to the class. F1 and mod touring were combined.

After what happen to me in stock touring I pulled out of the whole day, packed up, and started work on an indoor track the next day. Abilities will be enforced and marshalls will marshal and not stand in the groove while there's a race in progress!

I'm cool now.....lol
Old 05-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think we will have a problem with the arms bending and getting warped permanently, before they break...The material seems very flexible and non-brittle. If they do break, it will most likely be at the eyelet/cup. The one thing that I don't really care for is that the pivot-balls are design with the slot so as you tighten the screw the ball will open to better/tightent its fit on the arm-eyelet, but the downside is that the threads in the gear-cases will strip before you can even get then close to tight enough.. Good idea otherwise...
Old 05-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

I absolutely love the full ball suspension! But you are correct about stripping out the plastic when tightening a pivot ball on the gear case.

I gapped my pivot balls a bit with a flat head screw driver for the right tension. Each one had to be custom gapped since the mold was not perfect or the pivot balls were not perfect.

Last edited by RCCadet; 05-08-2002 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

I have a Kyosho F-Ten and it uses similar arms attached by pivot balls. The fit seems a lot more snug without binding or the need to flare them open. Oh well, I'm not complaining.

Mine hits the track for the first time on Sat. I can't wait to see what they look like on the track. We have one Toyota, one BAR/Honda, one Williams/BMW (mine) and one Audi (fictional, of course) so far. I'll try to take some pix and post them.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow, RCCadet! You must race at Finishline!

J/K I know what you mean about marshals and skill levels. That's why I stopped running electric there. Indoor track eh? Where? I'd be interested in stopping by when I'm back down that way if you're serious.

I'm thinking of picking one up myself, I was into F1 back in the "glory days" before all the aftermarket chassis came out. I still have enough parts for at least 3 F103s and 1 F102.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Socko/RCCadet.....did ya'll ever race in the Tamiya races in and around Dallas........we might have raced together, and not known it.....I raced at T&T a year or so ago(sedan) and they had pics on the wall....low and behold....whom would be in one of the pics holding a Tamiya F-1 car........yours truly.

The new F-1 car looks sweet.....prolly the best looking(scale wise) that theyve ever made....
Old 05-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Socko :: It is not my track, I am simply promoting and busting my a$$ to get it running. I have another track that I promote and actually manage. Link is below. I tried for almost a year to get my friend to go on-road. Since his off-road scene died recently in the past month, he is sampling on-road before he calls it quits. The track should be completed by Thursday night or mid-Friday.

Racing this Saturday may not happen, but maybe. It will be a practice day if we don't race. Mother's day is on everyone's mind, and it should be.

If you have any ideas for the track shoot them our way.

Dragon :: I think we might have rubbed touring bodies at Indy. I was at The Rutherford grand opening but it was a bad showing for me. I did win one class......the Raffle Class! The Losi is awesome for $.78!

I had an F1 before but this new Tamiya kit is trick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.