Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has anyone had problems with the laydown shocks? Im having big spin out problems. I have checked all the suspension to make sure it is free and not binding in any way. Im running the light spring in the front diff. The rear diff is slightly loose but not too loose. Running gold springs all around. 3° in the rear of the car. 1mm shim under the shock tower. Stock tires 13.5 novak using the stock gearing and a futaba 9452 servo. I have tried taking out the steering limiter screws. Im at a loss. Its set up the same as a friend of mines. the only differance is he is using upright shocks in the front of his car. This happens when the car is turning at more than 1/3 throttle.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by milenko_76
Has anyone had problems with the laydown shocks? Im having big spin out problems. I have checked all the suspension to make sure it is free and not binding in any way. Im running the light spring in the front diff. The rear diff is slightly loose but not too loose. Running gold springs all around. 3° in the rear of the car. 1mm shim under the shock tower. Stock tires 13.5 novak using the stock gearing and a futaba 9452 servo. I have tried taking out the steering limiter screws. Im at a loss. Its set up the same as a friend of mines. the only differance is he is using upright shocks in the front of his car. This happens when the car is turning at more than 1/3 throttle.
It sounds like there isn't enough weight transfer to the rear wheels. Try adding 1-2mm droop in front and limiting the rear droop.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by milenko_76

I'm running that setup with completely stock setup settings and I'm not having any turning issues at all running on asphalt. It has not shown any tendency to want to spin out. The rear diff feels pretty loose, definitely more loose then I have ever set a 1/10 ST diff at.

On the suspension note, I have done as others have said and reamed out the suspension arm holes and checked other areas for binding during assembly and I have to say the suspension feel on this car is far better than any kit I have owned so far. It's super smooth.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

honestly, I don't know why hpi just didn't make the bevel gear assembly like the pro4. Seems like no one has spares or aftermarket for this yet. And I'm not paying $25 for a small plastic piece. This part is probably designed to be the breaking point instead of chewing through the gears like my TB03(even less likely that the gears are metal). Tamiya releases all the spare parts on the same day a kit is released. So why no LHS carries them??
I really like the car in all, but I guess I'll have to race my indestructible M03 for the championships.

Last edited by redbones; 05-19-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
And yes we will be bringing back the Mini X-Patterns and "Mini" wheels!

SWEET!!!! I've been saving the X-patterns on my M01 for a rainy day! How soon will they be out??
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

does anybody know if there are going to race theese at any of the HPI Challange races
Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbones
Tamiya releases all the spare parts on the same day a kit is released. So why no LHS carries them??
I really like the car in all, but I guess I'll have to race my indestructible M03 for the championships.
Thanks for convincing me to buy the new Tamiya M05 chassis when it comes out.

Judging by the numerous posts in this thread of people having to...

shim this, cut that, droop this, change that screw out, smooth out that bearing seat, use F201 springs, degrease the kit's bearings, swap out the thrust assembly with a spare Tamiya one and shaving off suspension arms, among other fixes too numerous to mention...

...the Cup Racer sounds like too much trouble.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ScionBox

shim this, cut that, droop this, change that screw out, smooth out that bearing seat, use F201 springs, degrease the kit's bearings, swap out the thrust assembly with a spare Tamiya one and shaving off suspension arms, among other fixes too numerous to mention...

don't get me wrong. The cup racer will give you better lap times. Perhaps I'm too anal with building having experienced xrays, TRF, etc. And I do almost as much work in my M03 as well. You can't compare the build quality between the two, but each has their advantage. Trying to see if I can make my TB03 stuff to fit... Oh, and degreasing the bearings, Tamiya is no exception.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

I don't blame you. Reading this forum and hearing the complaints. You have to remember the Cup Racer is an all new car that's not based on anything so right now alot of us are trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.
I'm not going to lie, I really like the M05 too but I don't think it can fit the ABC Celica 1600GT body.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah umm good luck with the MO5 as well
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_bojar
do you think HPI will bring back said 'ye olde molded foams'??
I'd guess yes (but I don't know) after Andrew said the X-patterns and wheels will be re-released

<snip>

What, you haven't heard what TCS racers do to their cars? Like someone said above, this is an entirely new car so all the racers are experimenting with it and finding out all the little tips and tricks...and yes weak points. I'm sure I'll be going through the whole learning process when I start running mine!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone x
does anybody know if there are going to race theese at any of the HPI Challange races
yes, they cup racers are listed on the 'official' classes for the Challenges...I know there will be about 1/2 dozen at Ray Murray's challenge in August - so if you got one, bring it out

Just don't know if its gonna be 27t/17.5 motors or 30t spec motors - personally, I'd rather see the 30t motor class and not 'open' motors, but that's not my call
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Perhaps people are being very anal about building their kits, or possibly just assuming what may be needed even before running it?
The only 'tweaking' I had to do to my kit was to ream out the suspension arm holes like most do on any kit. Everything went together well with no extra fitting required.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

So after looking and calling around, it seems no one has spare parts for this car except HPI. It's not like the kit came out yesterday, little over a month now?

Even found a comment on twitter: "re:HPI Cup Racer HPI needs to flood the resellers with spare parts. I had to buy parts direct from HPI at MSRP and full shipping. NOT HAPPY"

Any HPI reps reading this, please get your act together and distribute the parts. In these tough economic times, this is no way to be treating your customers. I'm still waiting to get a reply back in regards to shipping from you guys.

/end rant
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I know the guys at HPI USA are working as hard as possible to make the spares available...but I still feel your pain.

But in better news, YESSSS!!!!

I found it:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.