Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Originally Posted by MikeR
A spacer is included w/ the PRO4 gear to fit the center bearings of the ball dif.
I believe we've discontinued the Pro 4 diff gear so you need to use the D4 diff gear (same diff gear different part #)

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/piw.p...=61433&lang=en

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default spur for Novak Super Sport

Gentlemen,
What spur would you recommend for a Novak Super Sport in the CR?
the manual says about 7.3.1 (a number I still can not decipher). Thanks

Michael
Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tasty!

I like this chassis. Ive been looking for something fun, im tired of the overly-competative scene that the TC has become. I cant wait to get my hands on one in the next few months. In addition the 510 is one of my favs from Datsun!

If you dont like the chassis, check out the aftermarket one from EXOTEKRACING.COM , its only 69.00 and looks like it has a more effective position for the shocks and the battery mounts to the bottom of the chassis!

ANYONE IN THE DFW AREA INTERESTED IN STARTING UP A CUP RACING CLUB?!?!? WE CAN MEET UP 1 A WEEK TO RACE, NOTHING SERIOUS, JUST FUN AND SLIGHTLY COMPETATIVE! LET ME KNOW!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just got my Exotek chassis in! I will post pics as soon as I finish. Thanks Mike R. of Exotek for the excellent service and product!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhalide
Gentlemen,
What spur would you recommend for a Novak Super Sport in the CR?
the manual says about 7.3.1 (a number I still can not decipher). Thanks

Michael
What wind is the motor? Stock spur is fine, question should be what pinon

Carl & Element- Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CSF0623
HPI Honda Civic EK9 225mm body w/ ABC mesh wheels and tires.

I have to admit the car was a pain to put together but with patience the car will go together well. The CR is very competitive against the ABC Genetics mini here where I race in Socal. I almost gave up on the car to buy an ABC but gave it time and I am very happy with the results of the car. I have only broken one front hub carrier by brushing up against the wall and have been racing with it for almost 3 months. Hope my set-up will help others....Good luck fellow CR owners and have fun...I know I am!

Here is my set-up for WCRC high bite asphalt track.

Front

Gear diff w/ black spring installed
Gold springs w/ 40wt oil
Gold sway bar
Top upper position on shock tower (stock)
No Spacer under front gear case (using 54mm tires)
4.5mm of droop under front arm
4mm ride height
-2 degrees of front camber
-1 degrees of front toe

Rear

Black springs w/ 40 wt oil
Black sway bar
Middle hole on rear shock tower (Carbon fiber)
No spacer under gear case (using 54mm tires)
4mm droop under rear arm
4mm ride height
3 degrees of rear toe (stock)
-2 degrees of camber

225mm wheel base
Mabuchi silver can 540 motor
FDR 4.0
Novak GTX esc
Novak 2 cell lipo cutoff module
Airtronics 737 servo
Airtronics 2.4 receiver
After I saw that body, I had to pick one up too.... thx..
Attached Thumbnails HPI Cup Racer 1M-img_2128.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default spur/pinion

Mike,
Thanks for responding. the motor & MC are a Novak SS5800 coreless. I got it when they first came out & only got the team TC3 to run once on the carpet before the track closed. The differentials loosened up & ceased working on about 3/4 of a lap. The metal differentials & locktight resolved that problem. I am getting ready to put a 4.5 Velocity coreless in the TC 3 As I found it really handeled well although I have primarily gone with HPI.
I built up the Cup Racer (Datsun Blue Bird) as I am very interested in frame design /suspension/handeling. The downward shocks & parrallel suspension arms were very intriguing & the 510 body won me over. I will post pics as I have been working on it for a while.
I have noticed on web searches that some companys refer to the small gear on the motor as the spur while others refer to the spur as the large drivetrain gear. I always thought it was the small one. The TC3 has an internal gear ratio of 2.5 (i think) & the Cup racer is 1.1.
So, how does one arrive at the ratio in the Novak manual that suggests a gear ratio of 9.75-10.25 or whatever. Is this something that can be understood . . .

Michael

Last edited by silverhalide; 09-03-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: diction errors
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mike,
Thanks for responding. the motor & MC are a Novak SS5800 coreless. I got it when they first came out & only got the team TC3 to run once on the carpet before the track closed. The differentials loosened up & ceased working on about 3/4 of a lap. The metal differentials & locktight resolved that problem. I am getting ready to put a 4.5 Velocity coreless in the TC 3 As I found it really handeled well although I have primarily gone with HPI.
I built up the Cup Racer (Datsun Blue Bird) as I am very interested in frame design /suspension/handeling. The downward shocks & parrallel suspension arms were very intriguing & the 510 body won me over. I will post pics as I have been working on it for a while.
I have noticed on web searches that some companys refer to the small gear on the motor as the spur while others refer to the spur as the large drivetrain gear. I always thought it was the small one. The TC3 has an internal gear ratio of 2.5 (i think) & the Cup racer is 1.1.
So, how does one arrive at the ratio in the Novak manual that suggests a gear ratio of 9.75-10.25 or whatever. Is this something that can be understood . . .

Michael

IC- isn't the 5800 rated like a 10.5/7.5 turn motor? That's a lot of motor for the CR Stock up on diff and input gears! Actually I think the final drive of the CR is 2.43. What you do is divide spur (big gear) by pinion (motor gear) and then multiply by 2.43. 65spur/ 16pinion gets you at 9.87. If that is the case then you may need a larger spur since a 16 pinion may not reach the spur. If I were you I'd just pick up any ol 17.5 motor and run the stock gears. The car will be much more driveable and realistic with a good 'stock' speed motor. These cars are a hoot even with just a $10 mabuchi motor
Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
IC- isn't the 5800 rated like a 10.5/7.5 turn motor? That's a lot of motor for the CR Stock up on diff and input gears! Actually I think the final drive of the CR is 2.43. What you do is divide spur (big gear) by pinion (motor gear) and then multiply by 2.43. 65spur/ 16pinion gets you at 9.87. If that is the case then you may need a larger spur since a 16 pinion may not reach the spur. If I were you I'd just pick up any ol 17.5 motor and run the stock gears. The car will be much more driveable and realistic with a good 'stock' speed motor. These cars are a hoot even with just a $10 mabuchi motor
MikeR you would be correct about internal gear ration, it's 2.4375 if you want to be exact and yea a 17.5 is plenty in the CR and they are sooooooooo much fun to drive. We ran them at the HPI Challenge in NJ and run them now at The Track (www.rctrack.com) in Gaithersburg, Md.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default spur/pinion II

Many thanks on helping me figure out the gear ratio puzzle (for me) as I do not do numbers, I really have trouble & my younger son is a math teacher. So using a calculator & checking the numbers several times that finally came came out the same. It appears that the right for pinion for the Novak SS5800 per instructions
of 7.3.1 but not below 6.51, that I need a 21.5 so will try a 21 & a 22 if they fit. What happens on a brushless if it is slightly over geared like around 8?

I certainly agree with those who found the Cup Racer to being a quality kit, both engineering wise and precision. I did have to do a little grinding to get the 4200 side by side batteries to fit but it worked out. Again, thanks

Michael
Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pinion/spur/numbers

Many apologies for not figuring out the right math. Back to the calculator.

Michael
Old 09-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 67 tooth gear

OK, the smallest gear I can put on the motor is a 24 & that is with a little two much lash & very close to the 6.51 Novak says "not less than 6.5.1". So, does anyone know if the HPI or Hot Bodies 67 tooth spur gear is available anywhere
as it would give a ratio that is a little closer & correct lash. Thanks again.

Michael
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb I purchased one through tower..

OK, the smallest gear I can put on the motor is a 24 & that is with a little two much lash & very close to the 6.51 Novak says "not less than 6.5.1". So, does anyone know if the HPI or Hot Bodies 67 tooth spur gear is available anywhere
as it would give a ratio that is a little closer & correct lash. Thanks again.

Michael
I've also seen them in ebay as well as ultimate's site.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I'm a big Tamiya fan and I'm happy to see HPI has released this car. The reason I entered this hobby was for scale realsim and somewhere along the line people lost that with the stratus 1.0, 2.0 bodies.

Now HPI has taken the bull by the horns and released these fantastic cup racers. As far as the mini class, I've been runnig a Tamiya M04 for years now and worked hard to getthe quirks out of the chassis. I've learned to drive it pretty well, nonetheless would be nice to have a more tuneable alternative and this chassis looks to be it.

I'm curious about one thing.. Has anyone tried to run this car as a rear wheel drive? For me that's true scale realism... 240z, Porsche Rsr were all rear wheel drive. I bet the chassis could be tuned to turn in some nice lap times as a rear wheel drive. More challenging to drive.. Though not as much as a M04 lol
Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

In case anyone is interested.............

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...hless-rtr.html

Everything was built brand new and has only seen 2 battery packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.