Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

looks like they use it as a ball nut with a droop screw in the center... thats what i have been using on stress areas, instead of the alum... lots stronger. plus, you can make it as long as needed.

id guess that by the hole drilled in the ballcup, to access the screw without popping it off.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Tech Champion

Do you think tamiya ball cups are hard enough ? Not too easy to pop off ?

I'm thinking to beef up my msx against dnf situation.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking SPOOL For APRIL FOOLS! (Oops Reedy is in May)

Originally Posted by tcmerf
I finally got around to putting the spool in my car. Hopefully i will get in to the Reedy race so i figure i might as wel start now. I have never run anything but a spool so what should i expect? i got some set ups from try hard(great site by the way) but are they going to be anything like running with the one ways?
compared to a one-way, it's totally different driving style. No more rolling in and out of corners, you will now stay on throttle deeper in the turn because you can, you may have to get use to using brake going into the turn because you have gone too deep into the corner.
Definitely a more aggressive driving style, you just may like it so much that you wont want to go back to one-way!
You may experience a loss of steering depending on what spool you use, and all this is harder on the drivetrain so parts will wear out quicker than usual.
All this will affect your set-up that you have now with the one-way so you will have to make changes!
Good luck and see ya at Reedy!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Would someone also like to take a stab at this pic re the the ball studs used for the upper linkages that connect (bolt-on) directly to the front & rear bulkheads used by Satoshi & Mark R.'s MSX @ TITC 06 races. In the pic it also was used on the new steering assembly. Someone mentioned it could probably be the new short ball nuts released earlier this year by Tamiya but it's not due to the new short ball studs are actually ball nuts - part # TAM53869 Tamiya 5mm Aluminum Short Ball nut (Blue/10pcs).

In the pic it clearly shows that the ball studs are slotted (2.0mm driver tool??). I know Square makes blue ball studs that are slotted for the EVO IV but it's not long enough when you have a 2mm spacer under it when you screw it into the bulkhead. Also the ball stud in the pic can only be screwed in using a driver not the usual wrench you would use on a ball stud or ball nut.
I did say ball nuts, I assume that the new Tamiya ball nut might be X-Ray style with a bigger print for hex driver so you can unscrew the ball nut without taking the grub screw off.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dont know if anyone in the UK wants any 415 parts but i am selling up all my RC gear. Loads of 415 parts still NIP all at resonable prices. PM my if anyone is interested. I live in the UK

Last edited by Rick Draper; 03-21-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxepower
compared to a one-way, it's totally different driving style. No more rolling in and out of corners, you will now stay on throttle deeper in the turn because you can, you may have to get use to using brake going into the turn because you have gone too deep into the corner.
Definitely a more aggressive driving style, you just may like it so much that you wont want to go back to one-way!
You may experience a loss of steering depending on what spool you use, and all this is harder on the drivetrain so parts will wear out quicker than usual.
All this will affect your set-up that you have now with the one-way so you will have to make changes!
Good luck and see ya at Reedy!
Thanks for the info. By the way do you have a good baseline for Tamiya? I have the one from the KO race last year that was on Try Hards website but i am definately looking for all the help i can get!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Advice Please

Hi All,
I am running the HPI steering knuckles just want to check that I have spaced them right. I have used equal amounts of shims on the outside bearing and the smaller 4 mm hex. Looks right just checking to see if you guys do it differently
TIA
Mark
Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At this point i am having problems with understeer on corner entry.If i put a longer front block on would that increase corner entry or should i put a shorter block on the front?

Cheers, Charles
Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
At this point i am having problems with understeer on corner entry.If i put a longer front block on would that increase corner entry or should i put a shorter block on the front?

Cheers, Charles
I find on corner entry narrow equal length blocks work well. Makes the car turn in really hard.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks, i'll try that

Charles
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Exclamation chassis

The 4mm chassis in IN STOCK AT TAMIYAUSA BETTER GET WHILE U CAN
Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Customworksking
The 4mm chassis in IN STOCK AT TAMIYAUSA BETTER GET WHILE U CAN
If anyone is going to run the car on carpet, I highly reccomend the 4mm chassis. Besides the fact that it helps a ton...it looks trick!

From what I understand, as of now the quantity is limited.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
If anyone is going to run the car on carpet, I highly reccomend the 4mm chassis. Besides the fact that it helps a ton...it looks trick!

Like this one
Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The 4mm is definitely nice for carpet foam racing. Did Jimmy J BQ Mod Foam with a 4mm MSX without any custom topdeck?

What I'd be more interested in is that top deck pictured that allows for the use of the front and rear posts. I think with normal levels of traction the 3mm MSX and that post/topdeck+rear deck would work really well. I'm sure it was just something they cut themselves...but would be a nice option.

It beats having to dremel something out of the old middecks.

--------

Eirik A,

I finally ran the setup you sent... 3mm MSX w/old suspension! rubber tires:P
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Talking R: 4MM CHASSiS!

E.J.,
Is that what you and jimmy ran at Stockton? Who's car is in this picture?
Can you post your set-up for us? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.