Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Okay.... is there anything to counter the chatter then?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by F. Alonso
Okay.... is there anything to counter the chatter then?
Hmmm the driveshafts that losi is developping for their JRXS are designed to give much less chatter, but they still are not real CVDs.

Other than that, the only way to counter it that I know of is by having a very agressive front end, that will not require you to steer as much to get the car go round the corners. In other words, if your car's pucing badly, then you'll have to steer to the max to have it to turn, increasing chatter and making things worse.

If your car is very reactive around the neutral, then you'll probably have to change the expo on steering for the car to be driveable, but as you won't need to have the wheels to steer that much, you won't suffer of chatter as badly.

The only part where there's nothing you can really do are the hairpins. There the best is probably to break and turn at the last minute and to have the rear to rotate very quickly so that you won't steer for as long and will be able to re-accelerate very quickly.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default outdoor set-up

I know this may sound funny, but the entire time I've owned my 415 it has seen nothing but carpet action. I need a outdoor set-up medium grip pavement for the LW suspension using Ass. springs. I did go to Try-hard web page but most of those where for the standard arms or LW rubber indoors. I want to run both 1ways

PM or [email protected]

Last edited by dawgmeat; 04-18-2005 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Bummer about the chatter issue, REAL bummer because a spool would be an awesome thing to be able to use on the tigher tracks.

dawg - what racing do you do... stock/mod??
Old 04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Bummer about the chatter issue, REAL bummer because a spool would be an awesome thing to be able to use on the tigher tracks.

19 then I'm moving up to mod
Old 04-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Did a testing session on a tight asphalt track yesterday (on rubber, CS27's), with the spool the car would be very quick after 2 laps, but only for 4 laps, then the rear will break up suddenly in the twisty sections, overheating tyres seemed the problem.

With the one way (and no changes to the setup), the car felt much easier to drive and was more predictable, it had more corner speed and in the hairpin even though i wasn't able to break like before, i felt i was going quicker there aswell. The tyres were not getting as hot (not screaming as much) so the rear end wasn't breaking loose like it was with the spool after a few laps.

Maybe i need to explore more the setups for a spool on asphalt, as this was my first time ever outdoors with it (and first time outdoors with a spool too), but I feel that the spool will prove useful only for tracks where braking will be a big advantage.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those that run a spool, you will have to live with the chatter. Thats the side effect of forcing the wheels to turn at incorrect speeds. The easy way to reduce it is with heavy oils in the shocks and running the center oneway.

You should only be using the spool on an open track where you don't need alot of steering. Run your oneway when you need steering, and runa ball diff if you desire reduced performance.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nexus
Here are the links to the German Indoor Touring Car Championship.

results as PDF-file
http://www.amc-langenfeld.de/Termine...er17_04_05.pdf
itīs all in German language but I think you can see the information you want. At the top of the list there are the results from the stock class (Klasse1: Tourenwagen Standard) and about half down are the results from modified class (Klasse2: Tourenwagen Expert).

at the German forum I found a link to this site. The pictures are from one of the attending drivers.
http://www.uedesheim.de/thegreatone/...5/dm2005-1.htm
Seite 1 means page 1, Seite 2 means page 2.....

Just notice the kid on top of page 4. He TQed and did win the stock class.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TRF415boy,

You're absolutely right about MIP, they are not CVD. Though through our testing, they did seem to help eliminate the chatter problem a bit. The truth is, every manufacture all have very capable engineers on their staff, so they all know how to design a true CVD, however, the difficulty in R/C is to design a CVD that would be cost effective to make. Gil Losi Jr. told me once while he was at our shop: "if you know someone that can design a CVD while keeping it cost effective, send him my way" and he was dead serious about it. So until we can have true CVD in the R/C market, chattering of the spool will always exist

Steve Wang
Click here for TRF415 Spool
Old 04-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry for my ignorance, but at the Worlds, did Rheinard just put up with the chatter, or dial his steering down, or did he use different parts to chill out the chatter a bit??

I just want the best possible spool setup in case I find a case where I want to run it. A lot of the top guys who I'm racing with are using them in their TC4s and RDXs and I'd like to try it with the 415 but I am worried a bit about the chatter issue that I had with my Evo IV previously.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Default TRF415 Drivetrain Parts - TRF414M

This may seem out of the blue question, but has anyone (still current 414M owners) tried using/adapting the 415 drivetrain parts (e.g. center pulley, diff pullies & belts F/R) on their 414M but still using the 414M diff joints & internal diff parts?

Any response will be appreciated. (I still currently run my 414M SSG, thus the reason for my question).

Jun R.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: TRF415 Drivetrain Parts - TRF414M

Originally posted by JRRobiso
This may seem out of the blue question, but has anyone (still current 414M owners) tried using/adapting the 415 drivetrain parts (e.g. center pulley, diff pullies & belts F/R) on their 414M but still using the 414M diff joints & internal diff parts?

Any response will be appreciated. (I still currently run my 414M SSG, thus the reason for my question).

Jun R.
only the rear belt will fit, but none of the other parts.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Sorry for my ignorance, but at the Worlds, did Rheinard just put up with the chatter, or dial his steering down, or did he use different parts to chill out the chatter a bit??

I just want the best possible spool setup in case I find a case where I want to run it. A lot of the top guys who I'm racing with are using them in their TC4s and RDXs and I'd like to try it with the 415 but I am worried a bit about the chatter issue that I had with my Evo IV previously.
Marc used the TiR spool with delrin outdrives. They had a lot of flex, thus absorbing most of the chatter. But they do break easily...
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: TRF415 Drivetrain Parts - TRF414M

Originally posted by TRF415boy
only the rear belt will fit, but none of the other parts.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RC Maniax Spool

seems that the TRF spool issue is interesting for all tamiya drivers.

we just tested our light-weight spool last weekend with great success.
we tested it on a high grip and very small indoor track. the corally blades are quite durable.

so we decided to manufacture even a lighter spool (7.4 grams!). this will be available mid of week 18.

here is a pic of the prototype we tested

if you're interested in please sign HERE

we're not a big company, just some people designing some cool parts - so this item will be very limited.

hi from switzerland!
rc maniax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.