Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talkin' with Josh Cyrul

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Actually, a certain Jaco factory racer and I were discussing this two weekends ago, but I would like to point out that hte "wraps" do not have a stiffer inner foam. The inner foam is softer. That's why the tire has more forward bite- because the inner foam allows the tire to "lay down" more on acceleration- kinda the way a drag racing slick lays down and creates a much longer contact patch.

As for the material, I don't know all that much about foam, so it may actually be a firmer material with much larger cells, but I do know what I see and feel, and the inner foam compresses before the outer foam does.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BigDog - The inner foam is around 40+ shore (when new) but the material gets softer with heat and use.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
BigDog - The inner foam is around 40+ shore (when new) but the material gets softer with heat and use.

So it sounds like there will be a minimum dia. that we can run these tires to before we get into the core. I'm not sure I like that. Sounds like we will get less life from the tire and (probably?) pay more. Isn't that going in the wrong direction ?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Josh,

I have a question I hope you can shed some light on. Here recently I have heard from several drivers that for carpet, to gain more traction you should stand the shocks up more and to get less traction you should lay them down. Everything I have ever heard before has been the opposite, so I'm a little confused which way I should go on shock placement for different conditions. Is what I'm hearing from those drivers correct or am I being mislead?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by sesimon; 01-16-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

hey josh did you change your front end design on your cars?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Josh
I see you are having a birds oval warmup at your new track this weekend.
can you give us some details or pics of what the oval track specs are going to be.

Like runline? infield width etc

thanks
Eric Hutkay
Old 01-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erock1331
Josh
I see you are having a birds oval warmup at your new track this weekend.
can you give us some details or pics of what the oval track specs are going to be.

Like runline? infield width etc

thanks
Eric Hutkay
Eric I answered your question on the other thread for CEFX Raceway and I will out them here as well.

The track is the same outer size as it was in Toledo with the same carpet.

Fri Jan 20 is practice 2pm-9pm $10.00
Sat Jan 21 is practice till 3:30pm 3 quals and mains start at 4pm
$15.00/first class and $5/each additional
3 people make a class and we will run whatever the guys want
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
So it sounds like there will be a minimum dia. that we can run these tires to before we get into the core. I'm not sure I like that. Sounds like we will get less life from the tire and (probably?) pay more. Isn't that going in the wrong direction ?
This is true. The wraps are fastest when they are really small. After 1-2 runs they can peel. Honestly though regular foams are the same. There is a sweet spot for every track and the foams are fastest at that size. This is why pros at big races true tires so small and run a new set (scuffed in practice) for every qual and main.

At club races (lower traction) you can run them a little bigger and get a lot more life. The more serious the racers are in your area the smaller you have to run your tires.