Talkin' with Josh Cyrul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talkin' with Josh Cyrul

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Josh - Which of your XRay carpet foam tire setups would you recommend? I have followed this thread closely and on page 62 you recommended the carpet nats setup from your website. However, you describe a slightly different setup throughout the rest of the thread.

The setup I assume you are talking about is:
http://www.cefx.net/tips/electricSet...et_Nats_04.pdf

Is that the right setup to try?

Some of the things you say in this read sound more like the setup from TeamXray:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=1881

Anyway, I want to try setting my car up exactly like yours. But first I want to make sure I am looking at the right sheet.

Also, which front shock tower are you using? Is it the ultra-tune, foam, or the new FK one?
Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shiloh, since Josh is so busy, I will give my $.02. He had me use the set-up from the Xray site. I think he also put the FK tower on my car. I have made changes from there though to sute my driving better. I hope that helps, and I know when he gets a chance he will answer your question.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
kid - Well, Angel is my wife... I named our cat Halo because every Angel needs a Halo... and I couldn't find a name that wasn't taken that I liked for the hobby shop when the cat jumped up on the keyboard.... Halo Hobbies....
I like it! It has a very nice ring to it and sentiments make a name even better. That's kinda how we came up with my new born daughters name. My cousin/best friend died from lukiemia and his husky was named Bella. My wife came up with the name on her own and I simply fell in love with it. I then suggested Cyrul Bella Torres, but she thought it was too close to one of the lesbian girls I dated. I was appaulled. The last thing any guy would do is name his baby after an ex. Well good luck with daddy hood... it is the most incredible experience. Soak it in as much as you can.

But back to RC... in the latest RC Car action, I noticed that your car had a fat 7mm swaybar (typo again), your wheel base looked to be 256-258 instead of maxed, your ball cup wasn't on correctly on the rear hub, and your foam selection was messed up. Why do people butcher your setups? Did you change your wheelbase before or after the finals or am I just mistaken all together?

Last edited by kidDynomite; 01-19-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kidDynomite
I like it! It has a very nice ring to it and sentiments make a name even better. That's kinda how we came up with my new born daughters name. My cousin/best friend died from lukiemia and his husky was named Bella. My wife came up with the name on her own and I simply fell in love with it. I then suggested suggested Cyrul Bella Torres, but she thought it was too close to one of the lesbian girls I dated. I was appaulled. The last thing any guy would do is name his baby after an ex. Well good luck with daddy hood... it is the most incredible experience. Soak it in as much as you can.
Hey Josh,
Talking about babies if you have a girl i would sugest the name Lola.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Tim - Pretty quick usually... 2-5 days...

Russ - I always make sure to use the cap and the schotzki - I usually use the double one in mod....

Eric - It's just a matter of trying things and seeing when you are comfortable using them -example - I usually don't like to run a rear roll bar but I will use it if I need more steering but still need to get more forward bite also... This is why you see roll bars on the rear of rubber tire cars but not usually on foam tire ones....

Ian - It is on production and we have been selling the body for a few weeks now. Just go to www.cefx.net and drop me an e-mail for the info...

elcid - Thank you!!

Davo - I'm not really sure. I don't race for Xray anymore so I'm not sure about their current or future plans.....

Rodney - How big were your tires?? Did you super glue the sidewalls like we do at the major events where the traction gets crazy??

Shiloh - Use the Carpet Nats set-up. It seems that Xray messed up a few things when they posted my Cleveland set-up.... I always used the foam tower....

kid - Loads of typos.... it was a 1mm bar ground down to .7mm... Those were the new bulkheads but the wheel base was the same as the standard T1Fk in the full long set-up.... Not sure what you mean about the ball cup.... I saw the foam selection...lol... I ran Double Pink rears and Double Pink/Orange fronts.... I'm looking forward to the little one arriving, we've narrowed the names down to a small list. I'm sure we will sort that out soon enough!!!

Tony - Ahhh, no... Nice try though...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

josh did you noticed a difference when you used a hard or med soft caster block in the amount oversteer or understeer on carpet or the aliu blocks
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Josh,

looking for a brief explanation of roll centers, etc. on a touring car.

what does a long camber link versus short do?

what does raising or lowering the camber link on the shock tower do?

how do these changes effect the roll center? raise/lower etc.

In reality what actually increases the "roll" of the car.

What kind of roll center/camber link setup would you start with at a high bite track like the Birds???

I get so many different answers I figured I'd ask the FAST guys... LOL

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tempest...

you should check out the XXX Main tuning and setup guide...

josh was a contributor onit and it has the answer to than and a great many other suspension and tuning questions
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

The book is actually very good. I'd second Windsor's recommendation.

Rob
Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

I have that book, but if you talk to different guys... even pro's they have different view points...

Just looking for josh's take... especially in reference to high bite situations...

Thanks

Michael
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Josh - I just put your Carpet Nats set-up onto my FK. I am curious about where you measure your rear droop from, though. The setup sheet says bottom of the arm (not bottom of the rear hub carrier). However, using the bottom of the arm and setting it to 1mm results in 7mm of uplift. Normally, I use 2mm of uplift in the rear of any TC carpet foam setup. Did you really use 7mm of uplift or is your 1mm measurement from the hub carrier instead of the arm?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

drml - I prefer the Med castor blocks 99% of the time... The soft ones are too soft and the al. ones are to easy to bend in a wreck causing you to not even know that your car is messed up....

Tempest - Your kidding me right?? I don't wanna type all that....

What does a long camber link versus short do? - Makes the car react faster at the respective end (front or back) that you make the link shorter. Can cause a "pivot" type situation in the center of a corner rather than the car rolling through the center smoothly.

what does raising or lowering the camber link on the shock tower do? How do these changes effect the roll center? raise/lower etc. - Raising it gives you less camber change/lower roll center. Lowering it gives you more camber change/higher roll center.

In reality what actually increases the "roll" of the car. - Softer springs... Due to the low-profile tires and little to no tire distortion, usually less camber change will give the car less roll because you load the tire so much harder. Even though the RC is lower, camber change and tire dynamics take over....

What kind of roll center/camber link setup would you start with at a high bite track like the Birds??? The same set-up that I've tested at home that I am comfortable with....

Shiloh - I think I measured from the bottom of the aluminum hub carrier....
Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 PM

I got my body and have finished painting it. Sorry if you guys look at the painting forum I posted a pic there too.
Josh,
I'm the guy Fernando called you about tonight with the body at TFB. Hope you like what I did with it.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Josh... sorry to make you type that much this late, but it did help clear a few things up.

BTW Robert finished up the DVD from cleveland finally. I'll get a copy and send it to you. You can PM me or email me with the address you want it shipped to and I'll try and get it out this week.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

SteveB - Cool!! Obviously you got Fernando's attention!!!

Michael - Very cool!! Just send it to the track. If you don't have the address just give us a call if you have a minute....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.