Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Rob, were there any rules for the foam tires? such as a minimum dia of the tire or anything like that? What tires were you using? We have been kicking around the idea of trying foam on F1 at my home track. Thanks for any info you can give.
TCS didn't have a min tire size but you were somewhat limited by the narrow rude height adjustment range the cars had at the time. The TCS f104 foam era what short lived before they changed to rubber. I do recall running f103's which was plagued by front with 3 (6min) runs lifespan and rears done in 6 on our asphalt tracks, For comparison the pit rubbers we used after that would easily last 60+ runs.

Mark
Old 04-01-2024, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

We have used the contact brand foam tires on outdoor asphalt with success. They provided an unbelievable amount of grip and can run with the 12th scale cars easily. They're made out of the newest compounds of foam they come pre-trued and they last surprisingly long, we have found just rotating the tires left to right between the runs will give you a car with flat tires on all four corners at the end of a race day and the wear is very minimal. None of us found the need to through the tires at all. Now that being said I'm currently running exotek V2 Reds in front and exotek single red in the rear rubber. I guess the easiest way to explain it is this.....for me personally rubber tires look more realistic and the ones from exotek replicate the real cars so well. Rubber requires a little more adjustment to the setup you have to be patient with the car but once you get them working and know what works it can be quite fun. Foam the other hand is a quick fix-it-all. somebody new coming into F1 struggling, if they put the foam tires on they will have a blast. Then they can graduate to rubber. I guess the easiest way to describe it is this most people never really pay attention to our F1 class ...when we run foam tires you'll see all the racers coming together around the track smiling and being amazed at how stuck to the ground our f1 cars are and how fast the cars are going and they're yelling at the end of our race to us why don't you guys run those all the time why don't you guys just always run the foam.... because at the end of the day we all always go back to rubber we just like it more even though it doesn't have the same grip we like a lot of other things about it more and to be honest the rubber has been getting better and better as time goes on.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

All true statements made by fat500. We run at the same track and both are long time F1 racers!
Old 04-02-2024, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I like the rubber tires and prefer them. It's just that our F1 class has fallen off and there has been talk that if we ran foam, more people would run. This is indoor black carpet, by the way. I'm willing to give foam a try, but I do not want to have to true the foams down to the rims to get them to work, like 1/12 stock. That's why I was curious about a minimum dia on the tires. Other side of that coin, don't want to be tossing tires out that still have good meat left on them either. Guess it's the ol' catch 22.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:39 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

They get better the smaller diameter they are (especially on carpet), just the nature of foams. A little less of an issue on asphalt for foam height but there is a big speed delta between new contact foams and ones that are closer to the rim on carpet. We have been racing foam F1 for almost 2 years or so.

Some F1s also come into bigger issues with ride height. Some are easy to change and have a wide range, and some don't. Anyways, F1 is very tunable. When I lived in California, we also had run 21.5 F1 on asphalt. You learned setup and steering/throttle control very quickly.

RC F1 is just not as popular as it was 5-7 years ago when it peaked. Funny enough, full scale F1 is as popular as ever.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Rob, were there any rules for the foam tires? such as a minimum dia of the tire or anything like that? What tires were you using? We have been kicking around the idea of trying foam on F1 at my home track. Thanks for any info you can give.
A lot of these guys have given quite a bit of good info on the thread. For context, the TCS F104 foam class had 2 types of tires that one was a natural type rubber (like pink or purple) and one more like synthetic (like gray for example). I only ran foam on carpet.

Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What’s a good servo speed/torque? I’m not trying to spend a lot but looking at something decent. Some of the Chines brands have servo specs around <0.09ms, +150oz torque, and all aluminum
Old 04-02-2024, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default HKSRC?

Has anyone purchased from hksrc.com? I found some parts I need there, but I’ve never heard of them until today.

thanks
Old 04-03-2024, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info guys. What I'm gathering is that I probably want to stay away from foam on carpet because it will really take away from the "look" of F1. Full disclosure, I really like the simplicity of F1 and the fact that I don't have to constantly fiddle with it(unless I want to). If it was an outdoor track, it seems foams would be ok, but on carpet it would be the same as every other foam class(true down to near nothing for max performance) and I'd really like to avoid that.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Zen z5004b wimg

Anyone here have an unused Zen 5004b front wing they don’t need?
Old 04-10-2024, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Showing in stock at Fenix and rcmart.
d
Old 04-10-2024, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What’s the hot 25.5 right now?
Old 04-11-2024, 04:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Exalt- Phoenix 25.5
Old 04-11-2024, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

my neck of the woods is team powers for EVERYTHING. Buggy, f1, sct, etc. The numbers do show slightly higher than average. Not sure if its all rpm with little to no torque behind it, once it reaches those higher speeds..

At least from what I've seen around here, the hot fast motors with motor analyzer motors show:
  • surpass rocket v6* (only v5r for 25.5)
  • team powers actinium v5
  • TSR the1. The1 is new haven't seen too much on it
  • Fantom Helix RS (seems to be at about my baseline of R1 sepcs)
that Exalt sounds interesting. Nice it comes with everything, even if that everything includes a high price tag.
I believe although there is no "best" motor, there are (slightly) higher quality tiers. When you look for the best, you have to cherry pick the best out of a batch, but even batches of the same motor can have varying qualities. Batch A could have been really good but batch B was just slightly lower performance. It mostly comes down to driving style and gearing. I usually just go for torque or rpm based motors depending on application. At least in f1 the drive trains are similar enough (direct drive) vs other cars that have slightly different internal ratios due to different drivetrains

*cheapest at under $100. If they had a v6 i would have probably bought that. Instead went my traditional r1 route with the v21
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

I had a trg front wing on my Schumacher icon2 and unfortunately I broke it. Hit a board too hard too many times. I’ve ordered a new one yesterday and someone asked me if I had boiled the first one. I did not boil it. I have no idea if I should boil the new one when it comes in. Wouldn’t heating it in water weaken the plastic making it more brittle and easier to break? If I go this route how long do I boil it for? Do I submerge the whole thing or just the front? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.