roar and happenings (none official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

roar and happenings (none official)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

cool i understand and i did just post there aswell please if you have other thing s about roar to say please do so. no matter what is you might say something that might just be the answer. thanks for your intrest here!
Old 09-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the 5 min qualifier 6 minute mains... Not a good idea. It was mentioned last year in one of my posts. The arguement is You tune and setup your car for 5 minutes... but then come time for a 6 minute race... your setup may need to be different. Or maybe not. Nitro cars can do it because they can refuel. But they have to account for tire wear and other strategies for the mains. Blah blah blah. Kinda like when they goofed up at the local track and did 6 minute qualifiers for 1/12th scale 4 cell mod... then did an 8 minute main and everyone dumped... haha...

As for the bodies... I also did another post a year ago about making Mod Touring the Sports Car class. You could run Vette, Bugatti, Porsche, RX-7, Supra, etc. Then Stock Class would be the sedans... Touring Cars. But didn't get much response on that. Mainly people said the Stratus bodies would outhandle the sports car bodies. Then again, maybe they haven't tired the Chevron Bodies. I dunno. But I'd like to see it as such.

Oh, back to the Nationals. This year we only had about 150 entries. Roar limit is 250. I'm sure 6 minute Stock Qualifiers wouldn't have hurt.

Didn't want to talk about it. Just make Brushless a separate class. Perhaps an Enduro Class. Everyone does 4 qualifiers taking the average of the top 3 lap times. Then Sort the mains with the Amain being 30 minutes. Bmain 15. Cmain 10. D and under 5. Anytakers? hehe...
Old 09-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

KilRuf - I can make 6.5 min's with my 2400 pack, I'm sure most people would be able to make run if the mains were 6 mins.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

enduro class with those poly batts that would be cool!
inthe florida state series they let us run gt or t2 and 1 bodys everybody runs touring and i race an nxs for a little while and that body was faster than the tourin stratus.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Fatdoggy...I would disagree with you on this point. Stock racing at a competitve level (not in sportsman or rookie racing) is just as expensive if not more then mod. Anyone who is very fast in stock will have atleast 3 or 4 motors and cut it every run with new brushes why b/c its faster that way. With mod you buy a 9 or 10 turn and its fast no need to have a bunch of them to find a fast one and yes brushes last one run or so but its the same with stock. The whole stock is cheaper then mod only applies to a casual racer but a hard-core racer both will be about the same amount of money if stock is not a little more expensive. I hope the brushless motors will get faster so I dont have to rebuild my motor every run to be fast.

i agree.iam a hard core racer but i have to run stock.this means that i have 5 brand new mvps that have been dynoed and tuned by myself.
i choose the best one and use that.
then what i do is say 1 motor has high rpm but lacks torque ill tune that one for most rpm.then theres one with more torque then rpm then thats tuned for most torque etc.
then i have motors for different tracks layouts/conditions.
all the motors get skimmed,new brushes and cleaned after every run.
now if i was using mod id still clean it after every run BUT i wouldnt have 5 of them.so it is cheaper.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

guys keep it comming these are good topics. hopefully they will hear us.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

where are the next carpet nats
Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default My thoughts

Having raced in most major on-road races in the past 4 years and seen much of what works and what doesn't, here are my opinions.

Stock is more expensive than mod, no question about it. For stock there are more brush variations to buy, tools to modify the brush with, dynos to use, zappers, springs, etc. Not to mention the continuous persuit of better batteries.

In Mod, I only needed two motors, an 8x2 and a 10x2. The brushes were good right out of the package, only needed to purchase more as needed, with little or no modification. Springs were std issue, maybe a little pre-bent. If I wanted more power I'd adjust the timing from 16-17 degrees to 22-23. Can't dyno them since they draw to much for most dynos to handle. Also, I've never seen a dyno in Reedy's pits either... Batteries are not nearly as important in mod, albeit there is a certain level of battery you have to have to run, but the cost of GP3300's is so low today, anybody can run a 10x2 for 5 minutes on 380/1.14 and have more rip than they know what to do with.

Biggest difference between the two classes is tear-down and ancilliary parts. Mod is hard on cars, slop comes in faster, bearings burn out faster, breakage is almost always worse. In Stock, I tore the car down every round at the Nats, but at a club level you can sluff a bit, mod you can't.

As far as how nationals and Roar races are run today, they are perfect as is. Making a change to lengthen the heats wil do several things: add fire to the battery war which is finally stabilizing after a couple of years (cell availability/cost), increase wear on the motors (prolinging damage from excessive heat), result in longer days at the track (at a nationals, is it already horribly long), and destablize the racing platform we are at today (right now all clubs run 5 minutes, there's value in consitancy for the sport, something it has lacked for awhile) I would hate to see some track ride the fence and not go to 6 minutes, think of the cionfusion or bitching it would create.

These are just my observations/opinions, so don't hack me to death about them...
Old 10-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

greg i think what they want is try to immulate the racing foremat in japan where they are racing for eight minutes i see six being a limit and thats pushing it. i agree with you on the batts we finally found cells that are good to race with comparable with the old 2000 nicads !
i think we are all happy!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

does any body have any suggestions for roar here! come on post youre opinions here!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default MY BEEF with ROAR

ok i have emailed the President of Roar and also the regional president but have never gotten a response or anything. here in arkansas we are in a region that includes Louisiana and Mississippi. Geographically its about 4-6 hours to all the big races in our region(at a minimum). I have emailed about possible moving arkansas to the region with oklahoma or missouri, where it would be more feasible to drive, but no one as ever responded.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Initiate

My ROAR issues are they are very slow with Rev Up delivery, I'm looking through it and they are telling you about sign ups for a race that happened yesterday? Also I agree that these real racing venues could support R/C and open doors for would be racers. They have an annual grand prix here and Speed Channel does televise it. It would be nice to see ROAR step up to the plate with financial assistance for advertising to local club tracks. Also our region, Region 10 did not even have a electric onroad event.
We also have PPIR which has Busch as well as cart races and the only thing I've ever seen on the Midway was these crappy toy r/c cars. I do believe racers are racers we all found this hobby on our own but a little creative advertising couldn't hurt. Imagine if you will a tight camera angle on the chicane or exiting the sweeper they wouldn't hardly tell the difference.
Or just some encouragement to clubs to have exhibition races at these racing venues: Denver Grand Prix, Daytona or Talladega or wherever racing enthusiasts will be?
Also there should be some way to seperate privateers from sponsored racers at National or Regional events. It just doesn't seem right to have to compete with the whole factory!!! Not that I won't, because I do I've been doing this for more years than I care to mention. Dont forget about the regular guys who are competitive in their respective classes. didn't want to get off on a rant my apology.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default New EPIC Mosnter Metal Cells

I keep hearing thru the rumor mill that the new EPIC Mosnter Metal Cells are not ROAR approved and cannot be used in a ROAR race. Is this correct or incorrect?

Thanks,
Old 10-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Crash - you are correct. ROAR battery approval policy is to approve cells once per year. It will be on Jan 1. The cell must be submitted to the ROAR technical staff by Sept 1 of the previous year. Regarding the EPIC cell, it was submitted to the ROAR technical staff by Sep 1 and ROAR will announce on Jan 1 2004 if it is approved or not. That is the only new cell submitted this year.

To the others, please continue to post. Some of the ideas or requests are very good. I am interested in this information.

David Lee
Director, ROAR Region 2
Old 10-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

David,

Does this mean that he Epic cell's will not be legal for ant of the ROAR Regional races contested this calender year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.