roar and happenings (none official)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

roar and happenings (none official)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

I think that brushless racing should be only partially introduced at this time. Mod is where the guys spend all the money, brushes and springs every 2 runs comm cuts new armatures every month..... Stock doesn't require this much maintance, sure it still needs attention but it's not too the point where it's out of control like mod. If brushless was allowed in mod racing then it would be a gradual progression to allow it in stock. I think however that there should be limits set if brushless are allowed. Limits on max RPM/torque, this way the companies won't be able to bring out a motor every few weeks saything that they are bigger and better(like they do with brushed motors). Just my take...

p.s. - The hacker brushless is no slouch when conpared to a brushed mod...

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-12-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mod is where the guys spend all the money, brushes and springs every 2 runs comm cuts new armatures every month..... Stock doesn't require this much maintance, sure it still needs attention but it's not too the point where it's out of control like mod
Fatdoggy...I would disagree with you on this point. Stock racing at a competitve level (not in sportsman or rookie racing) is just as expensive if not more then mod. Anyone who is very fast in stock will have atleast 3 or 4 motors and cut it every run with new brushes why b/c its faster that way. With mod you buy a 9 or 10 turn and its fast no need to have a bunch of them to find a fast one and yes brushes last one run or so but its the same with stock. The whole stock is cheaper then mod only applies to a casual racer but a hard-core racer both will be about the same amount of money if stock is not a little more expensive. I hope the brushless motors will get faster so I dont have to rebuild my motor every run to be fast.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

problem with brushless right now is that you have on one hand a very smooth motor that is pretty fast but not as fast as the 8-9t motors and on the other you have the hacker motors that are INSANE but lack smoothness and are too$$

so the ultimate bl has to have the power of a 8t motor with the smoothness of the novak!!

when will this happen? imo when novak releases the "pro" version of their BL system!

that will spark the true start of the brushless revolution
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Kevin K
Fatdoggy...I would disagree with you on this point...... The whole stock is cheaper then mod only applies to a casual racer but a hard-core racer both will be about the same amount of money if stock is not a little more expensive. I hope the brushless motors will get faster so I dont have to rebuild my motor every run to be fast.
That's cool, I'm talking from the weekly casual racer's stand point(intermediate racer), I don't have to cut my motor and change brushes each run to be fast(I don't race against sponsored guys though). I probabely spend $24 on brushes a year(a pair a month), if that and I am finally getting a lathe after using nothing but 600 grit sandpaper to keep the comm in good shape(which actually works quite well) for the few months I've been racing. For me, mod would be alot more expensive then my current investment in stock(a pair of brushes each week instead of each month).
Old 09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah from the casual racers point of view stock racing is not too expensive the way it should be....but like any sport some people go nuts with it and make it more expensive to beat the next guy.....Not that I would do anything like that
Old 09-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

you guys there is a brushless thread the
intent of this thread is on what we want
to see in roar and what it needs to get better. maybee one day thier will be brushless competition in raor but i doubt it.
racing is about tuning and who can do it better . brushless is a home play thing that probly wont make it to competion for at least 10 years, what i want is roar to plan races around full size car events as granprixes and car conventions so we can get exposure out to the public.
brushless motors arent going to get us noticed what ideas do you guys have that roar can apply and get results!.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyways........., I want Roar to up the Race Time for Stock. From 5 minutes heats and mains to 6 minute heats and mains.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh yeah, and I want 2 door sedan bodies legalized for TC as well.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

kilruff we are actually talking about pushing up the time for the races in florida
to six minutes they race modified in japan for 8 minutes.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think longer stock races would be alot more fun. But, at a nationals race, it already takes a long time to go through a round of heats... if each stock heat took another 1, 2, or 3 minutes.... you'd never get to go home!!!

Also, I agree with Kevin 100% on the brushless issue.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Kilruf: I was reading through the ROAR rule book the other day(don't ask), and there is a T-1(2 door) body designation for TCs... Does anybody know what class these bodies are intended for ? It would be a switch to see something like T-1 bodies for Stock/19T, T-2(4 door) for modified (or vice-versa)... Kind of like the old days. Locally, we used to run GTP for modified pan classes, GT bodies for Stock classes. It was so much fun we wound up having a GT series for the modified cars.

Kilruf/speedxl: Longer races would be neat, but JeffC has a good point. 5 min. Qualifiers, and 6 min. mains, maybe? That would at least make you think about gearing for the mains .
Old 09-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Kevin, I agree with ya,

I race with Speed in our FLorida State Series, and Stock is more expensive to compete then mod. 19t and Mod both have spec tires, Stock does not, We have factory guys that race with us, and if you want to step up, ya gotta be on the top of the game. That means cutting every run, tire combo's batts.. blah blah blah..

Not that at the club level, we dont have to do those things, but you get used to it, and it makes you faster, so you do the same. My skill is still not good enough for Mod, but as soon as I feel that I can hang, I will.

Cost is always a factor in everytype of racing, spec or otherwise
speed=$

BTW, I would like to see races 6 minutes in stock.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

speedxl, I wholeheartedly disagree with your comments regarding brushless technology. The written words of people much more vested in this sport than you or I should be a wake up call for people that don't see the long term gains. But this argument should be in the brushless thread so thats where i'll see you.

Brushless motors, longer races, etc......thats all fine but if our national organisation doesn't move to make rc racing more visible and attract new blood then we're waisting our breath on what will eventually be a dead sport. Does anybody notice how many ads in the for sale thread say"leaving sport". First of all,ROAR should be expending energy to get more racers to join. How many organised clubs, tracks or hobby shop sponsored races do we each know of that are NOT ROAR members??? Plenty I'll bet !!! An organisation is only as strong as its member base. Why don't they join?? ROAR needs to show its value and market themselves.
Second, Is there no budget for promotions and media coverage?? Why isn't ROAR co sponsoring events like Mall shows. Local clubs and shops often have difficulty affording events like these but if ROAR were to help defray some of the cost, theres a good chance more people would see what rc racing is about AND see an immediate connection with the national organisation.
I'm a ROAR member, Our club is a ROAR member and I do appreciate what it offers but quite honestly I joined out of neccessity. How many of us joined simply because our local track or the land owner said we had to be members???? We as racers, club members and track owners can be ambassadors for ROAR but I think the org. needs to be alot more progressive in their thinking.

Last edited by Evoracer; 09-16-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

evo everyone has their oppinion on the brushless issue and mine is not crap and neither is yours everyone see's things differently. yes i will post on the brushless thread aslong as there are no insults exchanged.

and yes roar needs to look at other medias and avenues of advertizement .
sport compact car . euro car , hot rod , and so on! iam sure the manufacture could pitch in and bann together and advertize for roar it would be of benifit to them to work togethr and accomplish this because they would all reek the benifits because these new people would need parts for the new cars and support equipment they would need to play or race.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Agreed .....my comments have been altered and no offense was meant. See you in the Brushed vs. Brushless thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.