Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots? >

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
Summer racing in Seattle is non-existent,
If your meaning outdoors, sorta. Mills Creek and the EGTC series is the closest. Indoors, SIR all year round.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
Just a nudge on the title of the thread...

I still find it funny that some find RC Racing to be a sport. In no way, shape or form is RC Racing a sport. If this were true, I think we'd see alot more healthy racers on the drivers stand...

Grass roots racing programs tailored to the racing community in a particular area is the key. Make your own rules, make the cars look realistic and most of all have fun.
"sport" doesn't always mean "healthy"
example: PGA Tour pro golfer John Daly lol

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I thought I would touch on the tittle of this thread a bit.

So, RC America is trying to take what is clearly a new approach for them. Yes, other companies have tried some programs that some people see as similar to this. But in my opinion this approach is different in that these races are for all drivers, all brands, and intended to promote racing in general.

Now lets imagine that several other companies follow suite by developing a similar strategy of there own aimed at promoting races. Imagine ten companies all focusing on promoting six events each all across the US. That would be 60 extra events. That quite significant. Especially if here is a focus on visibility, advertising, and the PR side of things.

In years past many companies have looked at racers as only a tiny percentage of the available market. I say, look at racers as a tool to expose the market to the products, or visa-versa.

I dont mind being used, as long as I having fun. That reminds me of an ex-girlfriend, but thats another thread all together.

Last edited by mrrcguy; 05-28-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I still find it funny that some find RC Racing to be a sport. In no way, shape or form is RC Racing a sport. If this were true, I think we'd see alot more healthy racers on the drivers stand...

Grass roots racing programs tailored to the racing community in a particular area is the key. Make your own rules, make the cars look realistic and most of all have fun.
So do you consider full size racing as a sport?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not sure if your post was serious or just meant to rile up the thread but I'll indulge you...

RC "racing" is a sport by most definitions. Yes this is a hobby but the skill of the driver and the accuracy of the car setup is what makes this a sport. It takes talent to drive RC cars fast

Sport as defined on Wikipedia:

"Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Some of the physical sports include association football, basketball, water polo, and baseball.

On topic...I think what they are trying to do is great. Not sure if the impact that they make will be wide spread...that will take more manufacturers to step up and do the same.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Man a lot of you guys sure do like to complain. Its like your second hobby it seems. I don't see any negatives about this whole idea. Personally I don't know much about it but atleast RCA is thinking about trying to help the industry we love.... its not like they are going to make anything worse. So why all the negativity?

Oh, and imo just like the definition says once you start competing against someone else its a sport. It takes about as much physical activity as golf, sometimes more because you have to marshall.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think it's great that XRAY are doing a 'challenge' type of thing, but someone posted way above that the Tamiya and HPI one-make races weren't about 'the little guy'. You try telling the 150 or so racers (200-250 entries) that attended past HPI Challenge races in the US that HPI cared nothing for them, when they walked away with shirts, hats, kits prizes, trophies, raffle items, etc. as well as a great weekend.

Also - XRAY 'challenge'?? come on, that name has already been used and is still in use!! At least come up with a different name...but the idea is good and all the best...
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

My definition of a sport is when your heart rate reaches over 135bps. So according to my definition I don't consider chess, poker, etc a sport. To me it's a subjective issue and my comment was not meant to be anything more than just a poke in the ribs.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oXYnary
If your meaning outdoors, sorta. Mills Creek and the EGTC series is the closest. Indoors, SIR all year round.
FYI, FW has the oldest and largest most continuous on road Summer racing program in the state of Washington. Egtc series has yet to hold a race and when they do, they plan to race only twice a month. Mills Creek I haven't even heard of their on road program.

FW, hosts 2 annual events every summer, The Freedom Fair, on the 4th of July on the water front, and the two day Summer Sizzler event, in addition to their weekly club racing.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Regional Moderator

So I just finished the flyer for the upcoming XRAY Challenge event to be held here at RC Hobbies Raceway, and it decided to read back through this thread.

It has become very obvious to me that the point and hopefully the outcome of this effort by RC America has been somewhat missed, at leat here anyway. So I thought I would drag this thread back into the light and see if we can get this discussion back on track.

Ralph Birch (owner of RC America) is the man behind this project (all XRAY Challenge events on US soil). It is Ralphs goal to promote, fund, and help facilitate a number of small to mid-sized events all accross the country in an effort to strengthen our racing community by bringing racers together in a variety of settings. By bringing top drivers out to do meet-n-greet with racers who may otherwise never have the opportunity to rub shoulders with such talent, this may encourage more people to someday attend those "big shows", now that they are more comfortable sharing the track with "the pros". The finacial support (from RC America) that will drive these events will be a huge boost to facilities that may otherwise be unable to put together such a race. Events like this and the revenue generated can have a huge impact towards keeping tracks open. Want an example? My intent is to use 100% of the entry fees collected from this race to pay the tracks liability insurance for 2009. That is a big deal to me and for reasons like this alone, RC America deserves credit for this effort.

Sure RC America alone cant support every track in the country, but its a start. A start of a much needed trend that this industry should take note of.
(Hence the title of this thread!)

Imagine the following; If RC America, Schumacher USA, HPI, Tamiya USA, Brand X Batteries, Brand X Motors, Team Associated, Team Losi, Team Serpent, Team Kyosho, ect, ect, all chose to do six such events per season. (Which could be done for far less than many of these companies spend each year to sponsor and attend the current multi day "big shows") That would be 60 plus events! Events that would be spread out all over the country. Events that would have a huge positive effect on each of the facilities where they are held. In the end I say this would lead to less tracks closing, more exposure due to the increase of acttivities to choose from. (again we are not pushing "big shows" here, lord knows we can support 60 "big shows") In fact I have set a entry limit on my event to 100, to keep things manageable and relaxed.

Yeah I'd say this would be a good trend!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
final xray challenge flyer.pdf (364.1 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by mrrcguy; 07-10-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would just like to thank Ralph Birch and RC America for having a event like this to run where the team driver come and help the locals work on there cars . I think this is a great way to build the sport up . This will be a great event I hope for years to come again thank you Ralph and everyone at RC America
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by eflite300
I would just like to thank Ralph Birch and RC America for having a event like this to run where the team driver come and help the locals work on there cars . I think this is a great way to build the sport up . This will be a great event I hope for years to come again thank you Ralph and everyone at RC America
You mentioned this being a great event for years to come; I bring this up because I want exactly that. I would love to see this event be held hear anually. I hope that people make an effort to attend and show support and gratitude for the efforts of the people who are making this and the other XRAY Challenges happen.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is there a schedule in the works?? I see there was/is a race in the Seattle area and in Arkansas.....But where else? Is the opening year just a couple of events? I wish the promoters loads of luck getting this going and hope to have an event in the Ohio area so I can attend....
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by scootr117
Is there a schedule in the works?? I see there was/is a race in the Seattle area and in Arkansas.....But where else? Is the opening year just a couple of events? I wish the promoters loads of luck getting this going and hope to have an event in the Ohio area so I can attend....
This year there will be just a couple events, However, last time I heard there is a plan to hold several more events all accross the US if these first few go well and are well supported.

I think its improtant that we make it known that these events are for all racers no matter what brands they drive. No matter if you drive a TC3 or TT-01 or a 008 XRAY, the on site Pros will help you with set-up or answer questions or whatever.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

wow that's great news!

how can I get my local tracks on this list?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.