Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots? >

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Horizon Hobby did exactly this earlier this Spring at Jtec Racing in Danville IL. Jtec has a great club racing scene with all their locals. 125 people showed up to race this particular seminar/racing event, and the vast majority of the racers were newer racers. We drove all the way down from Chicago to race the event because we knew we could rub shoulders and get all kinds of great advice. Not to mention the opportunity to win great raffle prizes.....

We had a great time and made alot of new friends.
That sounds cool. I would like to spend some time with a Radio Programing Expert (if there is such athing). There has to be tone of stuff that our radios can do but yet we dont tap into it all.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

I just think the catchphrase of "grass roots racing for luxury sedan racing" sounds like you're not on the track more often than not... There's nothing wrong with the concept of the racing at all
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Regional Moderator

Uh, what?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This sounds awesome and hope RC America can make it to at least one or two cities in every state with a good club following. It may be to difficult to visit every state every year but a visit once every 2 to 3 years would better then nothing. I live in Colorado and know there are quit a few racers that run X-Rays and would benefit from having a few team drivers at one of our club races.

I wish other companies would do this. I use Nomadio radios and was at the Carpet NATS this year. So many people asked what kind of radio i was using because they had never seen it. It's great product and had most the features of a DX3R long before they did for less money but no one knows about them. As other people have mentioned, a national event is an awesome thing to attend but not everyone can afford it as this hobby is already expensive enough. So the only way test a product and learn about it is if they attend club races. The ski industry has done this forever with meet and test days at resorts.

With all that being said hats off to RC America for doing what will hopefully become a new trend in the RC industry.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
This sounds awesome and hope RC America can make it to at least one or two cities in every state with a good club following. It may be to difficult to visit every state every year but a visit once every 2 to 3 years would better then nothing. I live in Colorado and know there are quit a few racers that run X-Rays and would benefit from having a few team drivers at one of our club races.

I wish other companies would do this. I use Nomadio radios and was at the Carpet NATS this year. So many people asked what kind of radio i was using because they had never seen it. It's great product and had most the features of a DX3R long before they did for less money but no one knows about them. As other people have mentioned, a national event is an awesome thing to attend but not everyone can afford it as this hobby is already expensive enough. So the only way test a product and learn about it is if they attend club races. The ski industry has done this forever with meet and test days at resorts.

With all that being said hats off to RC America for doing what will hopefully become a new trend in the RC industry.
I believe there intent is to have a few different cities scheduled each year. They are investing a great deal to make this happen so it will take quite a while before they could hit every state. I think they are even considering developing a series of their own. Thats not for sure I just know it has been looked at. I was told that more specifics will be posted on the XRAY and RC America websites soon.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Grass roots racing with a luxury sedan .

Thats basically what vintage trans am is, if you want to get technical
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Zach, was Drew Ellis potentially confused in the city venue?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224017

Is this the first race he was speaking of?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally, I'd like to see a 'run what you brung' event. It doesn't matter if you have NiMH, hard or soft lipos, brushless or brushed, foams or rubbers. Just run to see what kind of time you can pull off and run with others that come close.

It works so well with 1:1 events where people line up to blast down the drag strip to see how their cars perform, why not do the same thing with RC?

I know that goes against the way ROAR operates but to see some real results, you have to sometimes do the unconventional.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by oXYnary

No, Zach and Drew are correct. As Zach mentioned there will be a number of these events taking place all accross the US. Thats why this is so cool; RC America is makeing a huge effort and dedicating a large portion of their budget to put these events together.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary

13.5 winner receives a partial sponsorship from xray?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jiml
Well this looks like a step in the right direction.

If companies would stop sponsoring "racers" and start sponsoring "races" maybe more people would come out to race.
A national regional race program with ranking would be nice....

Would promote racing fer sure....

Not happening though , when ?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
A national regional race program with ranking would be nice....

Would promote racing fer sure....

Not happening though , when ?
I could see this, at some point.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Just a nudge on the title of the thread...

I still find it funny that some find RC Racing to be a sport. In no way, shape or form is RC Racing a sport. If this were true, I think we'd see alot more healthy racers on the drivers stand...

Grass roots racing programs tailored to the racing community in a particular area is the key. Make your own rules, make the cars look realistic and most of all have fun.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

It'd be more effective if they re-established those tracks that are shut down, or make one where none exists for a 100mile radius.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
No, Zach and Drew are correct. As Zach mentioned there will be a number of these events taking place all accross the US. Thats why this is so cool; RC America is makeing a huge effort and dedicating a large portion of their budget to put these events together.
Summer racing in Seattle is non-existent, the only steady fair weather program in western WA is further south in Tacoma and although I am sure the club would gladly participate they are not scheduled to host an race. The Big Dad's event in OR is the one most of are looking forward too.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.