Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots? >

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Could this be the start of a much needed trend to bring the sport back to it's roots?

While at the R.O.A.R. asphalt nats warm up race yesterday at RC Hobbies Raceway, X-Ray driver Drew Ellis made the announcement of a new approach that R/C America will be taking to help bring racing in general back to it's roots and to give back to those who keep the sport alive by spending their hard earned money to compete at local tracks all across the country. The first event of the series will be held in Seattle, WA with RC hobbies being the next venue. There will be several of these events at various locations across the country that have a racer base that is interested in getting the sport back to "grass roots" type racing. These races are all about the "little guy" if you will. It is not just another event in which factory sponsored drivers get to strut their stuff. Sure, there will be some big names competing at the event, but the purpose is to help guys on a local level learn more about their cars and to be more competitive. It is also a chance for local racers to get to know some of the factory guys, like the above mentioned Drew Ellis. I spent some time talking with Drew this weekend and found him to be a class act all around. I can't wait to rub elbows with the other guys from RC America/X-ray. What makes it even cooler, is the fact that they plan to give away a good deal of merchandise at each event and to provide a meal to all the racers.I just have a feeling that this series of events is a sign of good things to come and I anticipate other companies to follow suit in this type of promotion. I expect that there will be a formal announcement made by RC America soon concerning the series. This is just what I gathered in talking to Drew and thought that I would pass the info along as it sounds like such a good thing. What do you guys think about this approach? Sorry for the long post, but I am excited if you can't tell.

Zach
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I guess I dont understand what they are doing that is making this "grass roots"?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I guess I dont understand what they are doing that is making this "grass roots"?
It is to have fun, that is grass roots racing. It is also a way that a company can say thank you to the racer. It also will get some of the world and National racers into the grass roots scene. Most of a tracks locals never meet some of these racers, they only read about them in magazines and on line. The local racers will be able to talk to these guys about setup for any car.

I think this is going to be a fun and exciting race series.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Sounds like during race promotions rc america will:

-feed racers
-pass out prizes
-help people with their setups

Sounds like a X-Ray challenge or something.

Also, If they could get Barry Baker to do all the race announcing that would be a hoot.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Right on! Yall need to come to Dallas Rocco from RC America works here. Im down.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Dodgeguy already pointed out a positive or two about this but here's a another tid-bit;
So many companies over the last few years have just focused their efforts and budgets on the "Big Shows" (IIC, REEDY, SNOWBIRDS). While these events are a blast and a great thing to experience, it seems that in the last few years, the smaller "club level" races have almost been left behind. This series of XRAY CHALLENGE races ,funded and promoted by RC America, can change that in a hurry. I have no intentions of knocking or taking away from the glitz of big races, but I will be the first to say that it makes a whole lot of sense to focus some of your marketing efforts at the smaller shows where like 99% of the racers are actually buying all there stuff.

I have a great group of local racers who work hard to learn how to make their cars better each week and spend their hard earned money keeping those cars on the track. So, to have a reputable company like RC America approach me about promoting a "Give Back Event" here for the racers in my own region at my very own track, I say bring it on!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What is it, exactly, that R/C America will do to bring this sport back to its roots?

What are the details of this new approach?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by 403forbidden
What is it, exactly, that R/C America will do to bring this sport back to its roots?

What are the details of this new approach?

Not all of the details have been finalized just yet. The "official race announcement" will be made soon enough as this race is a few months away still. I think Zdidiy was just anxious to get this topic out there for racers to discuss.

Bottom line is RC America intends to focus a great deal of time, effort, and money towards giving back to the areas that have proven to have a devoted group of racers who support this industry on the "club race" level. They will be doing this by basically showing up at small to medium size events offering help to the drivers (no matter what they drive), giving away a few cool prizes to the novice class guys, offering RC America proprietary products at unbeatable deals through the host shops, and just making sure that everyone has a good time in general.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Come on guys... stop with this "picking" at every little thing, and start giving companies a pat on the back for trying, or shut up and watch before you jump on the bitching band wagon... Between the changes ROAR has been doing, the GT class, now this, etc.... It seems that some of you are not happy about anything...

I for one, support and enjoy the effort that some have put forward. I did not say it would not have bumps or it would not be modified after a few trials. Maybe you would be better to be part of these efforts, rather then part of the problem, doing nothing....

I get the feeling that if Drew was to wrench on your stuff, and not race, but teach you, wrench and feed you, you would still bitch if you did not win...

GIVE IT A REST!!!!!

Sorry for the soap box... but stop crying about everything...

This is not directed at people that are asking more questions and looking for ways to help support the efforts...
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Come on guys... stop with this "picking" at every little thing, and start giving companies a pat on the back for trying, or shut up and watch before you jump on the bitching band wagon... Between the changes ROAR has been doing, the GT class, now this, etc.... It seems that some of you are not happy about anything...

I for one, support and enjoy the effort that some have put forward. I did not say it would not have bumps or it would not be modified after a few trials. Maybe you would be better to be part of these efforts, rather then part of the problem, doing nothing....

I get the feeling that if Drew was to wrench on your stuff, and not race, but teach you, wrench and feed you, you would still bitch if you did not win...

GIVE IT A REST!!!!!

This is not directed at people that are asking more questions and looking for ways to help support the efforts...

I never criticized or bashed R/C America...I just wanted to know the details of this interesting promotion. Is that so bad? No reason to turn this thread sour sheesh.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I never criticized or bashed R/C America...I just wanted to know the details of this interesting promotion. Is that so bad? No reason to turn this thread sour sheesh.
Funny guy....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by bvoltz

GIVE IT A REST!!!!!

Ill say this for sure; If they dont get props now, they will when its over even if its only in terms of sales (which Im sure they won't mind). I say this because I know that when I was starting out if they guy Ive only read about shows up at my home track, teaches me a thing or two about my car, gives away cool stuff, and buys me lunch, NOW THAT MAKES FOR A GOOD DAY AT THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Regional Moderator

I know what you were getting at. I think that since so many people tend to be so critical here on RC Tech, some of us tend to get a bit edgy and defensive at times. I dont blame you a bit for wanting the low-down ASAP.

We will get there I can assure you of that.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I know what you were getting at. I think that since so many people tend to be so critical here on RC Tech, some of us tend to get a bit edgy and defensive at times. I dont blame you a bit for wanting the low-down ASAP.

We will get there I can assure you of that.

Thanks for understanding.

The reason I asked was because the program sounded cool from what I could read, but at the same time it was kinda vague as to the details. It just got me really curious. Can't wait for the info when it is offically released!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Grass roots racing with a luxury sedan .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.