Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for the replies on the spool/direct coupling and bearing holder.

The bearing holder I'll most likely get since it doesn't cost much. The spool is rather more costly so I'm not all that sure. Totally locking up the front diffs like that sounds like it would make the car more difficult to drive (or is that just a wrong impression)?

Hmm...since the latest topic's on tires and rims - anyone has any recommendations for tires that provide reasonable grip but good durability on paved tracks? I wore out my tamiya reinforced tires pretty fast, but perhaps this is due to excessive camber settings as they actually ripped at the edges. I'll post a photo or 2 when I have the chance.

I'll also post some pics of my new Xanavi GT-R body just to share the joy around. "Custom" paint scheme and placement of decals - it's fun!

Cheers!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tns
Hmm...since the latest topic's on tires and rims - anyone has any recommendations for tires that provide reasonable grip but good durability on paved tracks? I wore out my tamiya reinforced tires pretty fast, but perhaps this is due to excessive camber settings as they actually ripped at the edges. I'll post a photo or 2 when I have the chance.
My kit tires did the exact same thing in the back although my rear camber was only -0.5 degrees. I'm using the Sorex 36 tires premounted on the speedmind rims on hot asphalt. I like the grip and they're holding up much better.

Check out this thread too:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...alt-track.html
Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bluesxman
My kit tires did the exact same thing in the back although my rear camber was only -0.5 degrees. I'm using the Sorex 36 tires premounted on the speedmind rims on hot asphalt. I like the grip and they're holding up much better.

Check out this thread too:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...alt-track.html
Thanks. I've just rechecked my camber settings - they're not really extreme actually - about -1.5 degrees, so it's puzzling, especially since the wear is on the OUTER rim, rather than inner.
Tamiya TB-03-p1000436-web.jpg

Anyway, I've just switched over to sorex 36s as well. I'll see if they hold up any better...

I'm not at the stage yet where I am able to share technical tips, but pretty pictures I do have Here's my newest pride & joy

Tamiya TB-03-p1000426-web.jpg Tamiya TB-03-p1000428-web.jpg

Finally, just as a comparison, my trusty but slightly beat-up NSX...
Tamiya TB-03-p1000429-web.jpg

...with its "home-made" air intake
Tamiya TB-03-p1000432-web.jpg

Cheers all!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tns
Thanks. I've just rechecked my camber settings - they're not really extreme actually - about -1.5 degrees, so it's puzzling, especially since the wear is on the OUTER rim, rather than inner.
Hmmm, that is odd. Mine started separating on the insides. Anyway, I think you'll be happy with the sorex 36 tires. Very rough guess, but I'd say they've already lasted twice as long as the kit tires and I'm still practicing with them.

Nice looking bodies, btw.

Last edited by bluesxman; 08-11-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tns
Attachment 487089
Looks like the rubber has lifted off the rim in that spot. Check your glue joints.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tns
Finally, just as a comparison, my trusty but slightly beat-up NSX..

...with its "home-made" air intake

Cheers all!
Nice bodies, indeed.

I never thought about a GT-R body until yet because i like the Takata NSX so much. Your pictures could make me wanting a Nissan (with a custom REPSOL RACING paintjob)

The air intake: Does this work? I mean if you guide the air to the spot where it's needed (ESC, Motor) it could work...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Glinzo
Nice bodies, indeed.

I never thought about a GT-R body until yet because i like the Takata NSX so much. Your pictures could make me wanting a Nissan (with a custom REPSOL RACING paintjob)

The air intake: Does this work? I mean if you guide the air to the spot where it's needed (ESC, Motor) it could work...
No idea if the air intake works actually. Maybe it does help with the cooling a little, but there could be adverse effects on the aerodynamics of the body. Or not. I would LIKE to think there are more positives than negatives, heh!

Both the GT-R and NSX bodies are real beauties, aren't they?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tns
Both the GT-R and NSX bodies are real beauties, aren't they?
I mean tamiya's moulding of the shells, not my painting
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

The "Kyosho" Decal on the front Fender makes it perfect
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Looks like the rubber has lifted off the rim in that spot. Check your glue joints.
Gosh that's right! I now notice that another tire with a similar rip, also has a spot where the rubber isn't glued too well. I'll have to be more careful with how I fix up tires in the future then.

Thanks much!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Glinzo
The "Kyosho" Decal on the front Fender makes it perfect
Yeah...it was a real LOL moment when I first saw that decal. Poor tamiya had to put the kyosho name on their own product!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Here's some of that TB-03 whine for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hu6Az3vsU

Normally I hate speed run videos, but I made one for some friends just to show what the 5700 could do in it.
Nice vid, thanks for posting that Can't wait to put a mod motor in mine
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tns
Thanks all for the replies on the spool/direct coupling and bearing holder.

The bearing holder I'll most likely get since it doesn't cost much. The spool is rather more costly so I'm not all that sure. Totally locking up the front diffs like that sounds like it would make the car more difficult to drive (or is that just a wrong impression)?

I'll also post some pics of my new Xanavi GT-R body just to share the joy around. "Custom" paint scheme and placement of decals - it's fun!

Cheers!
Where are you located world wise? The spool is not very expensive in my opinion compared to purchasing one for another model car. It will make steering more aggressive, but is still very easy to drive. Its all in your setup. Try one of the setups I posted, as they are all listed with a spool.

I love Sorex tires. They are the best in my opinion period. Other companies make some pretty good tires as well, but I'm just faster at the track and more consistent with Sorex. I brand new set of Sorex will drop me by a full second on laptimes. The video I recently posted in the parking lot, I was in the 16.0 range for laptimes. By the mains when I went to Sorex, I dropped down to 15.1 range with fast lap being 14.8. With a good setup and clean driving Sorex tires will last you a good amount of time. I race every weekend. I get a month out of a set usually with my tire strategy.

Oh and those a beautiful bodies Nice work, I love seeing everyones cars!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Glinzo,

You have PM
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

If its any help, I ordered my spool off of Ebay for $16.60 shipped from Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.