Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Well Timmie,

You've convinced me, and yeah, they're really cheap as far as hop ups go. I'll pick one up soon and give it a go.

Yeah, if you have the time, it'd be great to see some parking lot racing vids. Honestly, videos are always a good thing in my book.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Timmie
It's everything for me when it comes to outdoor asphalt racing. For on power steering, a spool makes a HUGE difference. Especially so, for people that don't like to let go of the throttle to make a turn Low grip, high grip, it doesn't matter, a spool will pull your car in the direction the wheels are turned. Sure, you can run the front ball diff very very tight, and gain some on power steering, but it will never be as profound as it would be with a spool. I helped a guy with a TC5R once at a race that was getting frustrated with his car. We dropped a spool into it and bam, his car was fast. So spools are not just my preference for the TB03, but for all TC no matter the brand. For almost anybody I've raced with, they are always faster (consistent) with a spool. I think you should most definitely get a spool. I promise you won't regret it. That and it really isn't much money at all, cheap upgrade, big bang for the buck. If you would like to see video of low grip parking lot racing with a spool I can post some videos up.
Hi Timmie

The spool that you're talking about would be the "TB03D direct coupling" hop-up part yes?

Looking through the list of available hop-ups I'm also tempted to get the "bearing holder - high prevision" since it's soooo cheap. Does anyone have one of those? Does it REALLY do anything to improve drive efficiency etc as tamiya claims?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I just got mY neW TB03 pure stock, screaming for HOPups,

My question is also about the SPool,

Which spool can we use for the kit?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SKYFLAKES
I just got mY neW TB03 pure stock, screaming for HOPups,

My question is also about the SPool,

Which spool can we use for the kit?
This one: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54125

If you haven't done it, you should probably get these too:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51000
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54097
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54095
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks bluesxman for posting those part numbers!

Yes, Tamiya calls it direct coupling. I never thought of it, but I guess I should have clarified the terms used for a "spool" as it is confusing to have so many terms to describe the same part

I don't currently have the high precision bearing holder, but I plan on purchasing it here soon. Like you said, it is a inexpensive upgrade that would be worth purchasing. I believe that Tamiya molded this hopup part out of a firmer plastic or a carbon, to help prevent side to side movement in the drivetrain. That would really help out at high rpm drivetrain speed to reduce vibration in the main shaft. And vibration is always bad, as it takes away from the power that goes to the wheels. For the power that most of us are putting though the car, the factory holder does pretty good....I haven't noticed any vibration in the drivetrain as of yet. But I still plan on running a 4turn 2s lipo in the car so that bearing holder is looking pretty important to me to help keep everything spinning true.

SKYFLAKES,
Congrats on your new TB03 purchase! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with on the car There are currently 2 Xray drivers at my local track that have TB03's now...HEHEHHEHEHEHEHHE I'm glad the TB03 is gaining fans=)

Blues, I will post a video of low traction, unprepared parking lot racing here shortly. Only thing is I can't remember if it was my TB03 or my Evo5ms in the video lol! But both with spools so you get the idea
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

My TB-03 ready for the next round of the RCGT Showdown here in California.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks bluesxman!

Last edited by SKYFLAKES; 08-10-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: I forgot the X
Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

nice car racecrafter, can I see your car naked? I mean without the body.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Here is a video I made of our RCGT club race in south Florida.
You can see my TB-03 in the chassis shots and it is the GTr-34 red nismo
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Enjoy
Pause The Video at the chassis shots to see the line-up.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Timmie
Thanks bluesxman for posting those part numbers!

Yes, Tamiya calls it direct coupling. I never thought of it, but I guess I should have clarified the terms used for a "spool" as it is confusing to have so many terms to describe the same part

I don't currently have the high precision bearing holder, but I plan on purchasing it here soon. Like you said, it is a inexpensive upgrade that would be worth purchasing. I believe that Tamiya molded this hopup part out of a firmer plastic or a carbon, to help prevent side to side movement in the drivetrain. That would really help out at high rpm drivetrain speed to reduce vibration in the main shaft. And vibration is always bad, as it takes away from the power that goes to the wheels. For the power that most of us are putting though the car, the factory holder does pretty good....I haven't noticed any vibration in the drivetrain as of yet. But I still plan on running a 4turn 2s lipo in the car so that bearing holder is looking pretty important to me to help keep everything spinning true.

SKYFLAKES,
Congrats on your new TB03 purchase! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with on the car There are currently 2 Xray drivers at my local track that have TB03's now...HEHEHHEHEHEHEHHE I'm glad the TB03 is gaining fans=)

Blues, I will post a video of low traction, unprepared parking lot racing here shortly. Only thing is I can't remember if it was my TB03 or my Evo5ms in the video lol! But both with spools so you get the idea
thanks timmie! I decided to buy the TBO3 because of your videos

I already sold my TC5R. my racemates are asking me why, because i have good results with it. They keep asking me if will buy the TOP racing photon, or the XRAY or the TRF 416. they have no Idea I bought a TB03. I will test the car first in secret to get the right setup. So when i race them again they will be in complete shock. hehehehe!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fat500
Here is a video I made of our RCGT club race in south Florida.
Nice vid, fat, looks like a fun track. I definitely like RCGT. Its a good direction for on-road and for bringing in new blood.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Definately is a nice track Fat.!

Skyflakes; Ill have some chassis pics up this afternoon.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello out there!

I decided to join this Forum because it seems to be the only one that's talking about the Tamiya TB-03 Chassis (in a language i can understand)

Here in Germany you only get poor information about my new favourite chassis. Prices are high here so i can understand that barely nobody has one. They are talking very much about the TA-05, TA-05IFS or the newer TA-05 ver.II

Because i am a parking lot driver i recently decided to purchase a shaft driven chassis. During the last years i had a TL-01 and in the beginning of this year i bought a pre-owned fully-loaded TRF 414M i am running with a 6.5T Orion BL set (6400 k/V) and 2S Lipos. To be honest, the TRF is too fragile (belt drive) and expensive for driving on a parking lot. I've got a 1/5 scale MCD, too but i think i'm going to sell it soon.

I just registered here to say "thank you". This thread offers exactly the information i need. In the last time i was thinking about a TA-05 IFS before i saw the TB-03 and read ALL your postings about this chassis. By now the decision is clear. I want it! The Takata Dome NSX is the one i like the most (but it's also the most expensive here ) With all the tuning parts you've got to go for at first such as a spool and the aluminium/carbon steering i've got to pay 255 € what means 361 USD.

How much do you have to pay in the US?

Greetings from Stuttgart, Germany

Glinzo
Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Glinzo
The Takata Dome NSX is the one i like the most (but it's also the most expensive here ) With all the tuning parts you've got to go for at first such as a spool and the aluminium/carbon steering i've got to pay 255 € what means 361 USD.

How much do you have to pay in the US?

Greetings from Stuttgart, Germany

Glinzo
I got my Takata NSX for $169 with free shipping from Ultimate Hobbies here in the U.S. Another option are the Hong Kong suppliers like Toy East, RC Mart, RC Mushroom, etc. Kits can usually be had for $140 - $160 with shipping in the $50 range (USD). I've used Toy East personally for hop ups and not had any problems. They take Pay Pal if you prefer.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
My TB-03 ready for the next round of the RCGT Showdown here in California.

Sweet ride Jimmy! Looks so realistic the angles you took the pictures in hehe, I know how that is...you must have gotten a burnt belly too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.