Like Tree18Likes

TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by evaa
Guys,

Want to ask for some advice on the following matters, i drive a 414M:

1. The stock set-up of the 414M for the rear suspension recommends that a small spacer be placed in the front arm carrier which is (correct me if i'm wrong) positive anti-squat. I was just wondering what would happen if instead of putting the spacers in front, what if i put in the rear? My problem really is lack of grip in the rear, my car tends to spin when i power out of corners.

2. my car is a tad too darty, meaning little steering inputs gives it a lot of directional change, i run in hot asphalt and use red sprins in the rear, yellow in front, 40 wt schock oil, yellow stab bars in the rear, silver worlds stab in front, center upper shock mounts in both the rear and front.

3. how do you set oyur diffs? should it be tight, loose or mid? basically my problem is the car tends to spin out when i exit corners.

4. finally, i havent really had the time to scroll through the thread, so can anyone suggest a good hot asphalt set-up?

Tanx in davance.

Jon.
1. I do not know about "pro-squat" (when you put the spacer in the rear) since I've never tried it before. But the kit roll center is a good starting point. Some swear by raising the roll center (overall) but I don't feel it makes a significant difference in most cases.

2. Try using a heavier weight oil such as 50wt or 60wt. Start off with the shocks mounted on the middle hole of the shock tower. I would also start with all yellow springs and stabilizers and work from there.

3. I try to set the rear diff as loose as possible without it slipping. If I run a front diff, I usually run it slightly tighter than the rear.

4. Here is a good base setup I always used:

Front/Rear
Springs: Yellow
Stabilizers: Yellow
Oil: 50wt/40wt
Droop: 3mm/4mm

Everything else left to kit setup.

Oh and make sure you have the right tires/inserts.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 PM

try the world champ setup!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

1. The stock set-up of the 414M for the rear suspension recommends that a small spacer be placed in the front arm carrier which is (correct me if i'm wrong) positive anti-squat. I was just wondering what would happen if instead of putting the spacers in front, what if i put in the rear? My problem really is lack of grip in the rear, my car tends to spin when i power out of corners.

2. my car is a tad too darty, meaning little steering inputs gives it a lot of directional change, i run in hot asphalt and use red sprins in the rear, yellow in front, 40 wt schock oil, yellow stab bars in the rear, silver worlds stab in front, center upper shock mounts in both the rear and front.

3. how do you set oyur diffs? should it be tight, loose or mid? basically my problem is the car tends to spin out when i exit corners.

4. finally, i havent really had the time to scroll through the thread, so can anyone suggest a good hot asphalt set-up?

Tanx in davance.

Jon.
Hello

Just curious what tires and you using ??

What suspension set up are you using no. of pistons etc..

I never had a problem like wht your experiencing. But i do recall spinning out a lot when my diff was busted (it was really tight) and that was during the night with temp below 10DEG but once the tires started heating up it went like a dream.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Guys,

Tanx in davance.

Jon.
The easiest thing to try is to swap the front tires and rear tires and see if that makes a difference. FUK_WRX is right more data would help. Do you have a setup sheet you can post?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

I'm thinking of preparing to race a Tamiya Car very soon. I still owned the original blue TRF414M2. Anyone here who own a 414M and the EVO3 Surikarn edi., please advised whether the 414M is still a better car over the EVO3 S.E.??? I know the EVO3 has the reliability problem. If so, why did Surikarn choose to race the EVO3 instead of his World Champ. 414M??

May be our Thailand friends and Pyramid can help to answer the question??

Last edited by MARKANO; 10-14-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by MARKANO
I'm thinking of preparing to race a Tamiya Car very soon. I still owned the original TRF414M. Anyone here who own a 414M and the EVO3 Surikarn edi., please advised whether the 414M is still a better car over the EVO3 S.E.??? I know the EVO3 has the reliability problem. If so, why did Surikarn choose to race the EVO3 instead of his World Champ. 414M??

I think u will find Tamiya enforce the use of the Evo3 for the TRF team, it is now "the" car they use. 414 development will or has stopped. (i also think the 414 designer went to HPI???)

The Evo3 S.E. is a great car, nothing wrong with the 414 either.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:26 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default na

mmm BK

I wonder why you say this about these cars ?

Last week this comment was about another car and the week before that it was another car. lol

I feel a yokomo coming on . i feel a yokomo coming on
Old 10-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Guys,

Tanx 4 d input, anyway here is my set-up:
1. shock oil - 40wt
2. shock pistons - 2 holes on all four shocks
3. tires - sorex 40s with medium sorex inserts
4. shock mounting location - f/r mid hole
5. droop f/r - box set-up
6. anti dive/squat - box set-up
7. springs - red rear, yellow front
8. banzai p2k2, 120 spur, 39 pinion.
9. camber link - box set-up
10. body - stratus 1.0
11. front and center one ways
12. 1 degree camber f/r

thats all i can remember as far as my set-up is concerned, help please. tanx.

by the way what's the worlds set-up? can anyone post it here?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Strange, that setup seems that it would be stable. I would set the droop to 3mm in front and 4mm in rear, just to be sure (i'm not sure what the kit setup is.) And are you sure those are the correct tires?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

Tanx 4 d input, anyway here is my set-up:
1. shock oil - 40wt
2. shock pistons - 2 holes on all four shocks
3. tires - sorex 40s with medium sorex inserts
4. shock mounting location - f/r mid hole
5. droop f/r - box set-up
6. anti dive/squat - box set-up
7. springs - red rear, yellow front
8. banzai p2k2, 120 spur, 39 pinion.
9. camber link - box set-up
10. body - stratus 1.0
11. front and center one ways
12. 1 degree camber f/r

thats all i can remember as far as my set-up is concerned, help please. tanx.

by the way what's the worlds set-up? can anyone post it here?

Hello again, we nearly got a similar setup only im using yellow springs all around. And yellow sway bars in all conrners. Maybe the problem is in the diff action try rebuilding according to the manual, use the tamiya ball diff grease. Also try using the Alfa 2.0 its very stable around corners. Ill PM you my setup that im using for stock class
Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default evaa

40 is a pretty firm tire, can you try something in the 30s? What's the track temperature?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

tanx 4 d replies, yup those tires are the correct ones, the track temp usually rises up to around 70 degrees centigrade by noon time, and settles down to 60 degrees til the race ends right around 6pm, so basically its really hot in the track, its open by the way.

i've just rebuilt my diff, but i guess i'll have to look at it again tonight

finally, everyone uses sorex 40s here and their cars are hooked up, so i guess htats the correct set. i'll also try the alfa.

tanx 4 all ur inputs. FUK_WRX ygpm.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by MARKANO
If so, why did Surikarn choose to race the EVO3 instead of his World Champ. 414M??

It was posted here somewhere before (maybe the tb3vo3 thread) that surikarn still prefers the 414M over the TBEVO3. Somebody quoted him saying so. I would tend to agree since he did won using that car.

Anyway, you can't argue with team orders. . The yokomo guys also preferred the older versions of the mr4tc over the sp. right?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:13 PM

yup!

but when the surikarn edition came out he said the the surikarn edition was a bit better..... i dunno maybe thats what tamiya told him to say

414mII still rocks!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Now the question is, is this the end for the trf 414 series??? do you think we'll see a TRF 414M3???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.