Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omoser
well not being connected to team tekin other than having their RS speedo, i cannot tell you that, but i would love the idea to write a linux client for the RS. Would save me from running vmware everytime i want to change a setting :-)
Dammmmit!!! I just spent an entire evening installing vista on my debian laptop because i didn't think linux would pass the usb to vmware properly. I guess i should ave posted first heheh oh well. I'd love a linux client too, i only have vista on my laptop now to run hotwire.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by YmeBP
Dammmmit!!! I just spent an entire evening installing vista on my debian laptop because i didn't think linux would pass the usb to vmware properly. I guess i should ave posted first heheh oh well. I'd love a linux client too, i only have vista on my laptop now to run hotwire.
i did not expect it to work either, but gladly vmware is pretty flexible in this regard :-)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I honestly dont understand why hotwire requires a PC unless Im missing something. It seems all the settings could be programmed on the ESC without the use of a laptop similar to what speedpassion is doing. Its doesnt seem nearly as flexible as the Castle software that would require the use of a PC.

Fred_B thanks for the info. Ive emailed them. Waiting for a response. My LHS said there has been trouble contacting Tekin recently to the point that some people were asking if they were still in business (which obviously they appear to be!). Guess they are just busy getting the RS out to market as well as the new lipos.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Lord

Depends what USB driver they're using. If it's just something generic (like USB to serial) it would probably be easy to make changes from any OS. I'm guessing the fine folks at Tekin aren't writing any fancy USB drivers, especially since the client is written in, what, .NET? Maybe I'll tinker with the Hotwire when it shows up and see what I can find.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Depends what USB driver they're using. If it's just something generic (like USB to serial) it would probably be easy to make changes from any OS. I'm guessing the fine folks at Tekin aren't writing any fancy USB drivers, especially since the client is written in, what, .NET? Maybe I'll tinker with the Hotwire when it shows up and see what I can find.
Yes its written in .net. Seems more like a product that was fun to develop then really all that useful.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Lord

Eh, .net is probably okay. It's cheap & easy to find people to code it. :-)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

wasnt knocking .net. Just saying the functionality of the hotwire could be put in a programming box like speedpassion. If you are going to force using a pc to program then at least add the feature castle has on theirs.

It seems like hotwire was a fun/interesting project for someone but its usefullness to the user isnt all that great (esp if you could change the timing another way).
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omoser
i did not expect it to work either, but gladly vmware is pretty flexible in this regard :-)

I don't suppose wine would work with .net installed (can it install .net as it is?). Would be more direct than vmware.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
wasnt knocking .net. Just saying the functionality of the hotwire could be put in a programming box like speedpassion. If you are going to force using a pc to program then at least add the feature castle has on theirs.

It seems like hotwire was a fun/interesting project for someone but its usefullness to the user isnt all that great (esp if you could change the timing another way).
Can the Speedpassion ESC's have its firmware updated?

I don't know the exact details, but I think the challenge is that if you use USB (probably best for firmware updates), then a handheld box wouldn't work without a USB BUS, which is non-trivial. If you make the ESC just serial (for flipping bits) you could use a box, but might lose the option for firmware updates (Speedpassion?). Perhaps you could add both interfaces? I wonder if that's what Losi did, 'cause their setup appears to allow both a programming box or a full USB setup w/firmware updates. My hardware-fu is a little weak.

Anyway, based on my understanding of USB programming, it would probably be pretty easy to sniff the USB in windows to see what the software is doing, and then implement that in some other OS. The firmware update probably just sends a start bit, dumps the image data, and then a stop bit. Presumably, the ESC would validate the image before flashing. But, that's all guesswork on my part, based on how I've seen other devices work. If my life ever slows down a bit, I may tear into it and try reversing the protocol for fun.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Can the Speedpassion ESC's have its firmware updated?

I don't know the exact details, but I think the challenge is that if you use USB (probably best for firmware updates), then a handheld box wouldn't work without a USB BUS, which is non-trivial. If you make the ESC just serial (for flipping bits) you could use a box, but might lose the option for firmware updates (Speedpassion?). Perhaps you could add both interfaces? I wonder if that's what Losi did, 'cause their setup appears to allow both a programming box or a full USB setup w/firmware updates. My hardware-fu is a little weak.

Anyway, based on my understanding of USB programming, it would probably be pretty easy to sniff the USB in windows to see what the software is doing, and then implement that in some other OS. The firmware update probably just sends a start bit, dumps the image data, and then a stop bit. Presumably, the ESC would validate the image before flashing. But, that's all guesswork on my part, based on how I've seen other devices work. If my life ever slows down a bit, I may tear into it and try reversing the protocol for fun.
The new verson of the speedpassion can but via a computer. I was referring to on-site track adjustments one would make. seems pointless to require a computer to change timing.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Jim wrote back to me Sounds like Im the lucky winner of the first broken RS.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did he say what he thought was wrong with it? Mine is still sealed in the box pending what was going on with yours.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JCarr
Did he say what he thought was wrong with it? Mine is still sealed in the box pending what was going on with yours.
No, and Im guessing I wont know for a while.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
I don't suppose wine would work with .net installed (can it install .net as it is?). Would be more direct than vmware.
There is always mono, and from what i hear microsoft themselves are helping mono get .net code running on linux. I just want to be able to modify the settings w/ something small like a nokia n800 or n810 internet tablet vs having to lug a laptop around to make changes.

Tekin folks can you release the code to opensource? I'd liek to not have to run windows.

As far as the usefulness, i also have a b1 (plan to get more of them for my micro cars) and i like the fact that the same interface thingy can be used w/ all their controllers.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Team Tekin

Im having an issue with my RS. My local team driver requested an RMA and never got it and I have as well. Is the tech support dept at Tekin staffed?

...the problem Im having is that the ESC is getting extremely hot. I had one motor where the ESC would shut down after 30 seconds. So I tried another motor and ran it around a bit and the motor was at 135 and the ESC was at 160. Im afraid if I got my motor up to 160 then the ESC would meltdown.

You will be the first to have any units that are not working right.... and it had to be MR. Orbital... Lets get some basics and maybe we take it off line in emails. Anything hot in 30 sec is broke or wired bad.

Motor? Sensored only mode or dual mode. ABC right? What were the leds for heat when measuring 160 on speedo? TC? 2s?

We were using USB drivers, but windows makes that a mess like all things. We now use HID... You stay out of there

I honestly dont understand why hotwire requires a PC unless Im missing something. It seems all the settings could be programmed on the ESC without the use of a laptop similar to what speedpassion is doing. Its doesnt seem nearly as flexible as the Castle software that would require the use of a PC.

Fred_B thanks for the info. Ive emailed them. Waiting for a response. My LHS said there has been trouble contacting Tekin recently to the point that some people were asking if they were still in business (which obviously they appear to be!). Guess they are just busy getting the RS out to market as well as the new lipos.
Odd we are cranking 7 days a week many hours a day. Support email might get behind at times.

We could make a handlheld programmer, but it would not give us all the nifty abilities of a software package on a PC. SP allows a few setting on each mode not 1 to 100. It is a limited digit display. The hotwire is sexy, extremely flexible and updateable. We will be adding lots of new features to all the products B1, Fx and minirage that we could not do with a dedicated programmer unless it also updated and was not so digit limited.

You can really access most of the track adjustments right on the speedo very quickly as well.

Originally Posted by trailranger
Any chance of having User Supported Open-Source programming?
Not happening. The software for BL systems is very proprietary and personal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.