Wiki Posts
Search

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoggy
Well after 5 runs with a SP 4.0 MY RB 50 Is no longer

i have attached a photo of what it looks like now after smoking up and smelling out the whole track. lol

[img=http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5531/rb50kf2.th.jpg]
Originally Posted by 2wdMod
Well I will be parting ways with Wave products.After having a speedo smoke as soon as it was plugged in when it was 2 mos old and has seen a total of 2 race days worth of use Wave responds telling me basically that it is going to cost me to have it repaired. So with the cost of the speedo and the cost of shipping it to hong kong to pay to have it repaired equals = I should have bought a tekin RS speedo so if this situation happened with them there would be a waranty to cover the repair

These speedos do perform nicely,but if wave wants to take a share of the market from the big boys(Tekin,Novak,LRP) They may want to re-think their waranty/customer support strategy!! Because If I would have had a Tekin, novak, or LRP smoke on me like that It would have been handled with the quickness. To me right now it's going to be worth the extra $$ to just deal with a name that I know stands behind their product 100%. And before the flaming starts here is my set-up that it smoked on;
novak 17.5 in a stock 2wd buggy motor timing at factory setting
Geared to run at 120-130F range on a small outdoor track
timing shift on 4
turbo off
no drag brake(I like coast in my buggy)
drive profile set to default
brake profile set to default
Li-po cut -off set to 3.4v per cell
Ambient air temp was around 65*f

1st run of the night went fine, 2nd run plugged in a fresh lipo(Deans plugs),turned the switch on and POOF!! thats all she wrote.

Got a total of 9 5 minute runs out of the speedo so it cost me $13.33333 per qualifier to run this speedo.

could you show more picture of this?

according to the image that hoggy experience it may come from short
circuit inside the esc,
by seeing its location that burns, it's pretty obvious that something happen from inside the esc button flowing inside esc
it might be water, near servo wiring.
due to its oposite position from power wiring tabs, this is might not user soldering mistake,
otherwise it might happen if the wiring the wrong way,
sadly must say, if hoggy doesnt disassembly the wiring it might just clearer, to see whats is wrong.

Last edited by irgo; 07-22-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Right,
Well after getting the new update off Ed at this weekends last national i must say WOW the thing goes well.

Ran with a GM 10.5 and the team wave 10.5 (perfered the Gm though) and my best result at any national with a solid B final. If i had a car i was used to then might of been snapping at the heels of Ed for the A.

All i want now......most time shift......more turbo
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Well I also got my hands on the update from ed at the national and I to must say it makes this speed controller even better. However I am now going to be running a GM speedo as on sunday my rb50 went pop. I have found that this speed controller is very sensitive when it comes to damp/wet running even in wet balloon which I have never had any issues with before.

I must say that it is the only fault I have with this top notch speed controller (could make it waterproof or less sensitive to damp) and you cant fault the service from max.

Does anyone know if Max on holiday as I am awaiting a reply to my email I sent Sunday.

Max if your there did you get it?

Thanks again for the help at the weekend Ed, with a bit of luck I will at least be doing the final round of the nationals at mendip.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

What difference will I see with the updated software? Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Hi TLRacing,

There are lots of changes, better brake, smother low end speed, redefined neutral brake parameter, higher top speed, redefined drive profile.....
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Max you have mail
Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi all.

Just had m first run tonight with a RB50. There should be absolutely no doubt that these speedo's perform as good as anything else on the market. It had great low end as well as lots of speed and the breaks are the smoothest I have felt.

I was running 4 time shift and turbo on. Max please let me know if you recomend any other settings for 10.5. With turbo on you have to be careful not to hit full throttle to early. Its amazing how much instant power turbo gives you at any rpm not just top end.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RB50 is good esc.But the RB30 i still dont know why it has alot of burnt cases in my area.Mine got burnt when i just leave the battery connect when to order food and when i came back and switch it on....POOF!smokes...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

good esc but too many failures are giving it a bad reputation.
reliability needs to be addressed.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sudhar93
RB50 is good esc.But the RB30 i still dont know why it has alot of burnt cases in my area.Mine got burnt when i just leave the battery connect when to order food and when i came back and switch it on....POOF!smokes...
Originally Posted by razzor
good esc but too many failures are giving it a bad reputation.
reliability needs to be addressed.
Since I've only had mine for a few days I'm in no position to argue against you, I was just talking about how it performed first night out. It was on a track where the SPX is the speedo to have. The RB50 seemed to have equal top end as well as more low end than I have noticed with a few other speedo's.

Something else I like is how you have a choice in how you program it. You can simply press the button on the speedo if you want (just like you do with a LRP), you can buy the programming box which is as easy to use as a SP programmer and you can connect it to your computer and upgrade the firmware like a Tekin(assuming they continue to release firmware upgrades).

Also the solder posts are great. You can choose between 2 different ways (perpendicular or parallel to the speedo) to solder your wires in. This has allowed me to have neater wiring in my Type R than I have been able to achieve before.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Hi guys ,
could someone tell me how the turbo works on this speedo please
Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ATLASCOPCO
Hi guys ,
could someone tell me how the turbo works on this speedo please
That would be a interesting question.... I would also be interested in the answer...

Got my hands on a RB-50 to try out the other day so headed down to one of the local tracks to try it out. With all the failures I have heard about I though I better throw something real at it to make sure it is up to spec... So in goes a 3.5. All in all after a couple of runs and playing with timeshift I would have to say this speedo is somewhere between the likes of the SPX and the Tekin in how it works. Timeshift does not sacrifice torque like you would if you did a straight timing adjustment, but it does increase top end (and temp too) so it has the advantage of the SPX with moving timing but without the long wait for top end. You can also adjust drive profile and timing independently so you don't have sensitive bottom end. Brakes and brake adjust-ability is fantastic. All in all I was surprised at how well it went. Back to back against my GT 2.0 and there was no question to which speedy was better in every way.

Anyway it went well but I thought I might ask how other people are going with it particularly in spec racing like 10.5?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

What i want to know is at what point dose this turbo function affect the motor . i think it is when the motor has just come off load down the straight
Am i correct or not .
team wave we need you !!
Also is it ok to use a motor that has timing ajustment
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Yup, Dragonfire already answer most of the question and explain how timeshift and drive profile works. With mixing drive profile, timeshift and turbo, there are so many combination to tune up. The turbo will be engaged (if enabled) when your throttle is over 95% and will give extra boost to the motor and make insane speed. Turbo will increase the motor/ESC temperature, you need to drop 4-5 teeth if enabled! We usually add heatsink/fan on the motor to keep the temperature down.
If you don't use turbo, you can gear up 3-4 teeth (over gear) to compensate straight line speedo but the corning will be improved and overall linearity and drivability will be improved.

We don't recommend using adjustable timing motor (unless keep it at 0 timing) since it will affect the whole range of throttle and brake and make adverse effect on the ESC and may blow up the ESC/motor if not tuned correctly.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
That would be a interesting question.... I would also be interested in the answer...

Got my hands on a RB-50 to try out the other day so headed down to one of the local tracks to try it out. With all the failures I have heard about I though I better throw something real at it to make sure it is up to spec... So in goes a 3.5. All in all after a couple of runs and playing with timeshift I would have to say this speedo is somewhere between the likes of the SPX and the Tekin in how it works. Timeshift does not sacrifice torque like you would if you did a straight timing adjustment, but it does increase top end (and temp too) so it has the advantage of the SPX with moving timing but without the long wait for top end. You can also adjust drive profile and timing independently so you don't have sensitive bottom end. Brakes and brake adjust-ability is fantastic. All in all I was surprised at how well it went. Back to back against my GT 2.0 and there was no question to which speedy was better in every way.

Anyway it went well but I thought I might ask how other people are going with it particularly in spec racing like 10.5?
Another important thing is that unlike other good spec motor esc's like SPX and RSpro the Team Wave RB50 is also a good Mod esc. If you tried to run A 3.5 and lipo with the others they would just thermal or melt! This could be the only esc on the market capable of winning any motor class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.