Search

17.5 vs 27t

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Did anybody try running Novak's stator heatsink? It pulls a LOT of heat out of the motor, and may allow you to pull the big gear without damaging them. You can even get one with a fan, if you can make it balance.

Funny you mention this because locally we have noticed the stock Novak stator heat sink gets very hot. Temp'd my 1/12 last week and at the stator was 170*, silver ribs on can only temped at 130*. I did run the LRP heatsink w/fan on my TC and it helped a little bit.

Overall I am very impressed with the 17.5 in 1/12....in TC it's another story

For club racing it seems fine to run the 17.5 w/27t brushed...for big events looks like most will run brushed.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2
Funny you mention this because locally we have noticed the stock Novak stator heat sink gets very hot. Temp'd my 1/12 last week and at the stator was 170*, silver ribs on can only temped at 130*. I did run the LRP heatsink w/fan on my TC and it helped a little bit.

Overall I am very impressed with the 17.5 in 1/12....in TC it's another story

For club racing it seems fine to run the 17.5 w/27t brushed...for big events looks like most will run brushed.
I would expect the temp of the heatsink to be MUCH more accurate than the ribs on the can, since it's directly attached to the stator. I believe the heat in the stator is what causes motors to fade as a race goes on.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
..i have a question on the 17.5 vs 27t deal.

It's my understanding that with the PUSH of Brushless - there is no plan to keep Brushed 27t and 17.5 mixed as a class, but instead the goal was to find a Brushless motor that provided a speed close and similar to that of the 27t motor.

From everything I've read - the 17.5 motor seems to be a lot closer to the speed of a 27t than either a 13.5 or a 10.5...

So my question is - IS THIS THE CASE in ON-ROAD Racing?

IF the ENTIRE Field is ALL running 17.5 MOTORS - would the racing resemble the speeds of an entire field of 27t cars? (NO MIXING)

2nd question would be - Would the field have a better chance of running closer lap times w/ the B/L motor vs the Brushed motor?

3rd questioin - Which would require LESS work and skill to get the motor performance of the TQ?
The 17.5 is VERY close, especially if you consider the motor building skill of the average guy. The fact that 2 guys got cars into the top 20 of TC stock with 17.5 is really an indication of how close they are. Most of the guys down into the B have some decent motor, so i would say for most club racers, this would be almost a direct equivalent to the average 27t motor.

If everybody ran 17.5, I think the racing would be super tight. If you look at the Novak race, there were a lot of guy who could have made the main. A lot of it just came down to who put a run in.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by P2
Temp'd my 1/12 last week and at the stator was 170*, silver ribs on can only temped at 130*.
It has been my experience that most temp guns have trouble accurately temping the silver ribs on Novak motors...the surface is reflective and messes with the readings. It seems to me that the best place to temp a Novak motor is on the stator ring. The black endbell, even though it is composite, also seems to give pretty good readings.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
It has been my experience that most temp guns have trouble accurately temping the silver ribs on Novak motors...the surface is reflective and messes with the readings. It seems to me that the best place to temp a Novak motor is on the stator ring. The black endbell, even though it is composite, also seems to give pretty good readings.
True silver will reflect the temp reading. If you read your owners manual for the temp guns you are to paint silver surfaces flat black. You will get the most accurate reading this way.