Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
also one of THESE,i went through 3 savers in 15min since then the one i use know is cracked and haven't had a problem yet
Do they use concrete for the boarders around your track
Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

fter busting a few of the 114's I saw dumas and blackstock running these in mod and tried it. haven't busted one yet.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:9,s:0
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=RedBullFiXX;8723880]Kimbrough

Excellent, thank you.

I am using an LRP SXX with a 13.5. Do I need anything to power the radio or with the 3.7 pack be enough?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is a good starting point gear-wise with a 13.5? The kit comes with a 96t spur.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally got it done! Going to try to get it tuned this week and ready to race Saturday. Only two weekends left in our indoor season. I'll take some pics of the inside tomorrow (batteries in the camera went dead).

Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-01-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Anyone try the CRC bronze balls in the upper or lower arms? Any issues? They look like they're slightly shorter than the plastic AE parts.

CRC Bronze lower balls
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Unless I'm mistaken, the kingpin on the CRC front end is slightly larger than the Associated front end, so there might be a little bit of slop between the balls and kingpins.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Unless I'm mistaken, the kingpin on the CRC front end is slightly larger than the Associated front end, so there might be a little bit of slop between the balls and kingpins.
Just tried it and installed them. The CRC balls are .006 shorter, same diameter and with the same diameter hole, near as my micrometer can tell. I don't have a CRC kingpin to measure. 1 extra shim under the top E clip was all it took to take up the extra play, and it is SILKY smooth (with polished kingpins)! Amazingly smoother in feel than the plastics.

In early running this past weekend at the track, I had a sticking right side that I just couldn't figure out, tracked it to the right lower ball, which I replaced, but it was still inconsistent. Fast forward to tonight and the ball replacement, it's like butter!

Last edited by Buckaroo; 03-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Advice for anyone using Xceed tyres on their light weight rims on the rear:

These rims are the same width and the same offset as the CRC rims, but Xceed have a tendency to take the foam just past the outside of the rim whereas CRC do the opposite. With the tendency of the tyre to spread away from the rim, this can take you dangerously close to (and past!) the allowed 172 mm track. To start with I recommend removing all the rear axle shims. The nominal 4 of them in the manual is worth about 1 mm overall.

The outside of the rims crack easily and it is common just to glue them up. If you do this chances are the lip of the foam will spread out away from the rim increasing the width of your tyre at the side-wall and thus making you illegal at a sanctioned meet. Make sure you spend a little time with a truer (or a file) cleaning up the edge of the side-wall. And make sure you have a reliable ruler in your pit-box.

The problem is particularly noteworthy with the Xceeds for the reason I mentioned, but really you need to be careful with the 12R5.1 all the time, there is far less margin for error with the wheel track than on other 12ths I've had. Usually you would just be able to remove some shims to be sure you were safe, but the wide rear pod on the R5.1 and the offsets on the hubs means that you can't really set the rear up any narrower.

Also, don't use HB rims at all. The offset is different.

Last edited by Radio Active; 03-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Radio Active

These rims are the same width and the same offset as the CRC rims, but Xceed have a tendency to take the foam just past the outside of the rim whereas CRC do the opposite. With the tendency of the tyre to spread away from the rim, this can take you dangerously close to (and past!) the allowed 172 mm track. To start with I recommend removing all the rear axle shims. The nominal 4 of them in the manual is worth about 1 mm overall.

The outside of the rims crack easily and it is common just to glue them up. If you do this chances are the lip of the foam will spread out away from the rim increasing the width of your tyre at the side-wall and thus making you illegal at a sanctioned meet. Make sure you spend a little time with a truer (or a file) cleaning up the edge of the side-wall. And make sure you have a reliable ruler in your pit-box.

The problem is particularly noteworthy with the Xceeds for the reason I mentioned, but really you need to be careful with the 12R5.1 all the time, there is far less margin for error with the wheel track than on other 12ths I've had. Usually you would just be able to remove some shims to be sure you were safe, but the wide rear pod on the R5.1 and the offsets on the hubs means that you can't really set the rear up any narrower.

Besides the Jaco Prism rear rims, which mfg has rear rims with the "correct" offset for 12R5.1 rear?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyU
Besides the Jaco Prism rear rims, which mfg has rear rims with the "correct" offset for 12R5.1 rear?
I recently tried out the new TRC Prime's, and was surprised to find they have even less offset than the Jaco wheels.

They are nice wheels, but you need to add about 1mm of shim to each side, over the Jaco's.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RoyU
Good question. I have been using mainly CRCs, and I've only just noticed how close they take the car to the legal width.

I've mainly steered clear of Jaco rears ever since I got a set of whites and greys at the same time that both turned out to be harder than a magenta and pretty much the same as each other. I had trouble trying to work out which was supposed to be the softer compound. That was a while ago though.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active

Aside from what you mentioned - I've been having problems with Xceed lightweight rims as well. It seems that the screw holes in the rim tweak the rim to a certain extent that the axle won't turn smoothly. Had to ream the center hole to get a good fit... No problems with the regular Xceed rims though, just the lightweights (which also seem to be made out of glass, they shatter on the slightest impact)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Anyone try the CRC bronze balls in the upper or lower arms? Any issues? They look like they're slightly shorter than the plastic AE parts.

CRC Bronze lower balls
Niftech makes a set which work good and are a direct fit.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Niftech makes a set which work good and are a direct fit.
Wow, they're proud of those thing, huh? I found that the CRC ones work, for about 1/2 the price and easy availability at my LHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.