Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
There are too many variables to comment accurately but you can try starting with a 45/76 and go from there.
Wow!!! You're suggesting a rollout of 89mm to start for a 13.5 motor!!!!
Sniff, sniff, does anyone smell a hot motor.

A few of us were playing with v203 and found that we needed run smaller pinions to go faster. I'm using a 38/80 with 45mm tires = 67 rollout. The car is the fastest it has ever been on the same track. Most of us are all within 5mm of that number.

Your first statement is correct, too many unknown variables.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
Wow!!! You're suggesting a rollout of 89mm to start for a 13.5 motor!!!!
Sniff, sniff, does anyone smell a hot motor.

A few of us were playing with v203 and found that we needed run smaller pinions to go faster. I'm using a 38/80 with 45mm tires = 67 rollout. The car is the fastest it has ever been on the same track. Most of us are all within 5mm of that number.

Your first statement is correct, too many unknown variables.
Did you happen to notice this...
novak 1s-ss pro brushless system
Different world from magic timing in the RS.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply robert_k and dangles.

Yeah i think its traction rolling over the rear tyres (and yeah they are big speedmind tyres). I tried messing around with springs but cant really work out what was doing what. I think i ended up with blue (normally on we run really really low grip asphalt and green) center spring blue side springs.
I really have no idea about what the side springs were doing but the blue center spring felt better.
Although i need to reset the castor settings as well as i played with them a little while back so i think i'll bring them back to kit settings before the next run.

I read something about playing with the droop too but i wasnt too sure where about the shims were meant to go. At the moment i have .22 BMI springs on i switched to the BMI ones because i had collapsed a few of the AE ones. Strangely enuff my mate who runs a BMI is now using AE springs because he said he prefers the feel.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

try either truing them down or sanding back the edges ie angle back in from the rim to the top of the tyre and roll the edge which will decrease the side bite. I wont be running but can bring out some 2nd hand tyres which u could try. not sure on the compounds.... or u can try the ones i am currently running to see if that makes any difference
Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the offer, but i actually do have heaps of tyres! Although i cant bring myself to true the tyres down (im too cheap! and prefer to try other things first ;P)

I think at the moment they are not absurdly big like out of the packet though.

Actually maybe i should try some of my Jaco stash on the rear, they arent really much use at other tracks for me
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mangoman
Thanks for the offer, but i actually do have heaps of tyres! Although i cant bring myself to true the tyres down (im too cheap! and prefer to try other things first ;P)

Actually maybe i should try some of my Jaco stash on the rear, they arent really much use at other tracks for me

Sounds stupid, but the only working solution will be cutting your tires... All other will also fail.... Try asking someone else too cut your tires, if you don't have a tire turer. Cutting your tires will make the car feel a lot batter, have them chunk less.

Playing around with the front droop is not so easy in my opinion. When there is a difference, or there is more play in one of the sides the car will handle really bad.
I've tested a lot with reardroop and it seems that 1,5mm is the best feeling on most tracks...

Good luck,

Best Regards

Robert
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I think you can get away with using bigger tires on a t-bar car, but the link cars just seem to like smaller tires on carpet. I've noticed the smaller the better with the 12R5. Optimal starting point would be 44mm for the rear and 42 front when using JACO\PARMA Prisms and go even smaller when bite comes up.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

we are running on a concrete surface that has had an antislip paint applied. It has then been treated with Lane Choice 6. Not too sure how the smaller tires would handle it. My car felt good last week and was consistent in the last run with 47mm rears. Thinking about it i had a near moment where mangoboy was having his dramas but i caused it from hitting the breaks midway thru the corner
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

To tell you the truth im not convinced the tyre size is the problem. I had to stop gooping up the tyres (sun screen) and that got rid of the traction rolling. I think im just gunna have to put harder tyres on the front which i was hoping i wouldnt have to do. Usually over here we are chasing grip all around though and one of my friends was telling me not to cut the tyres small as the bigger diameter tyres have a bigger surface area and thus more grip (dont know if that is true or not).

Actually come to think about it, the tyres i used today were well worn anyway, so effectively they were cut down. Id have top measure them they are not as small as 44mm but i would guess they were around 46mm.

One thing which i am really confused with though is the diff. I run mine relatively loose compared to other people. I was told with 10.5 and the grip levels it wasnt so critical to run a tight diff. Will a loose diff cause the rear end to break out through a high speed sweeper?

Dangles which colour car were you? Last few minutes of the final were horrid for me, dont know if i tweaked something after running pretty hard into a stationary badman. But i think it was a setup issue which was the problem.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default s9650

how are you removing the extra tabs on the servo case? (2 per side)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
SMG
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thunderdaddy
how are you removing the extra tabs on the servo case? (2 per side)
Cut them with some flush cut wire cutters, then file or sand the edges.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default servo saver...

recommendations for a futaba s9650. thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Kimbrough 201
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Kimbrough 201
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

To tell you the truth im not convinced the tyre size is the problem. I had to stop gooping up the tyres (sun screen) and that got rid of the traction rolling. I think im just gunna have to put harder tyres on the front which i was hoping i wouldnt have to do. Usually over here we are chasing grip all around though and one of my friends was telling me not to cut the tyres small as the bigger diameter tyres have a bigger surface area and thus more grip (dont know if that is true or not).

Actually come to think about it, the tyres i used today were well worn anyway, so effectively they were cut down. Id have top measure them they are not as small as 44mm but i would guess they were around 46mm.

One thing which i am really confused with though is the diff. I run mine relatively loose compared to other people. I was told with 10.5 and the grip levels it wasnt so critical to run a tight diff. Will a loose diff cause the rear end to break out through a high speed sweeper?

Dangles which colour car were you? Last few minutes of the final were horrid for me, dont know if i tweaked something after running pretty hard into a stationary badman. But i think it was a setup issue which was the problem.

Didnt run on friday but will be this week with hopefully some more speed, cant remember what colour my own body is, thinking brownish goldish arse with yellow front

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.