Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad to hear the pack gave you some good power.

One thing I'm trying to prove is that leaving Lipos stored with to much storage charge will decrease the packs performance. I know that Lipo instructions including ours say that the packs me be stored with 50% capacity but in some of my testing I believe I have seen that storing them with charge for 3 months or so actually was worse than storing them with no charge.

I'm not sure how long you can leave your packs stored with charge before it actully hurts it but to be safe if you plan on running on a weekly basis I would discharge the pack down. Once again all of this is in testing and maybe hard to for me to prove what everything does but if you want your packs to keep as much of it's capacity , voltage and IR low I would reccomend not storing them with to much charge. If your not concerned about maximum battery performance than follow the methods normally used.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Glad to hear the pack gave you some good power.

One thing I'm trying to prove is that leaving Lipos stored with to much storage charge will decrease the packs performance. I know that Lipo instructions including ours say that the packs me be stored with 50% capacity but in some of my testing I believe I have seen that storing them with charge for 3 months or so actually was worse than storing them with no charge.

I'm not sure how long you can leave your packs stored with charge before it actully hurts it but to be safe if you plan on running on a weekly basis I would discharge the pack down. Once again all of this is in testing and maybe hard to for me to prove what everything does but if you want your packs to keep as much of it's capacity , voltage and IR low I would reccomend not storing them with to much charge. If your not concerned about maximum battery performance than follow the methods normally used.
This is for testing purposes only, so I am better informed and can advise people/customers better at the track on what to do if I ruin it, I ruin it

My other one I am running (SMC) is being discharged before I race on a balancer and charged through a balancer and is being charged once it reaches 100deg. F by and external NIMH Warmer I modified for Lipo

I will be placing another order soon - FYI
Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Con
Tech Adept

I ran the 4000 packs in my 007 today with a stock brushed motor on a short track.I geared up 2mm. the car ran great!!Good punch and speed.The motor still came off the track at 160 degrees same as with NiMh,much to my surprize.I think it becuase the car is lighter now.(I am still at min weight but lighter than with NiMh)The car handled better too becuase I could balance the car the way I wanted.Unfortunatly I couldn't compare my lap times becuase the track was changed from last week.After the races were done we had some extra time so I took a chance and ran for 7mins, my lap times were still the same as when I started and I think I could have gone longer, I am going to charge the Batt to see how much I took out in that time. These are great packs keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have to agree, I got to run the 5000mah pack for the first time yesterday, ran it all day, just run, recharge, run again, recharge again & I didn't need ANY other packs, & best of all, my lap times didn't drop off one bit from what I've gotten with my best NiMh packs. I think everyone was impressed with the punch it had. It was EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Only thing that had me worried was its size, I had to do some slightly risky surgery on my 415MSX(as the attached pic should show, look at the area at the back of the top deck & the aluminum bulkhead on that side) to get it to fit, but the car seems to run fine with it like that.....
Attached Thumbnails SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2-msxlipomod4.jpg  
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Con
Tech Adept

Thats why I got the 4000 for the 007...very little sugery required.Just shaved the rear bulkhead a little and raised the batt strap .5mm and rebalanced the chassis.Btw 7 mins was not much of a risk the batt only took 2564ma to recharge.I could have gone another 2-3 mins.8 min races are not out of reach
Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Danny:

Can these packs be balanced with a Trakpower balancer? I'm interested in your 4000 packs.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

I posted this in the 416 thread. But I thought I'd post it here as well. SMC 4000 pack. Car has been running great with this setup. Lipo Lead weight and PPD plate under the pack makes it weigh 443g. I can make it weigh less if I use a thinner lead plate. So I have full control of how much weigh goes on battery side. Balances great with the brushless setup. Thinner weight for brushed. 2 packs ran all day long. I'll play with high discharge and high charge rate later on. But so far so good.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AxiomJacob
Danny:

Can these packs be balanced with a Trakpower balancer? I'm interested in your 4000 packs.

Thanks.
Yes it will work but you will need an adapter or change our connector to a TP style connector. Common Sense RC should have an adpater. The connector style we use is the same as Align , E-Flite and EectriFly. So you need an adapter to convert from ours to TP style.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Company Representative

Thanks for all the info guys and I'm glad you like the power of our new packs.

I don't believe charging at higher rate will make any difference unless you can immediately run the pack once it finishes it's 10-12 amp charge. You can charge at 5-7 amps and warm up the pack prior to putting it in the car and you will get better results.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

So from a performance perspective, would you suggest a 35amp discharge then a 5~7amp charge to get the heat up in the pack (if no heating source if available)?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes it will work but you will need an adapter or change our connector to a TP style connector. Common Sense RC should have an adpater. The connector style we use is the same as Align , E-Flite and EectriFly. So you need an adapter to convert from ours to TP style.
Thanks for the info Danny.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
So from a performance perspective, would you suggest a 35amp discharge then a 5~7amp charge to get the heat up in the pack (if no heating source if available)?
In my testing the key to get the voltage to be higher and the IR lower is to get the pack warm/hot and immediately run it.

I have some more tests lined up this week to try different ways of charging/discharging to see how it changes the packs and I will post the results as they come available.

The 35 amp discharge then a charge will definately give a bit better numbers but I think if you charge the pack then wrap it up in a heat pad you will get the same or better results.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In my testing the key to get the voltage to be higher and the IR lower is to get the pack warm/hot and immediately run it.

I have some more tests lined up this week to try different ways of charging/discharging to see how it changes the packs and I will post the results as they come available.

The 35 amp discharge then a charge will definately give a bit better numbers but I think if you charge the pack then wrap it up in a heat pad you will get the same or better results.
Danny-
My new 5000 pack will be here in time for Tuesday club racing tomorrow. Do you suggest that I charge and then warm the battery, or warm the battery while charging?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

I did some testing this weekend with warming and discharging. I feel the Lipo packs are "flat" on the first run. I first cycled the pack to kinda "wake it up" and then went right into a charge with the pack wrapped up like a burrito from Taco Bell! lol

After every 4 minute run I dumped the pack down and went right back into a charge (with the heating pad burrito wrap).

The pack felt as if it had more snap off the corner and would pull hard at the end of the straight. I did have to drop about 2 teeth from the normal re-peak and go right back out method as the increase in voltage output was much higher and the motor temp jumped about 30 degrees.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
Danny-
My new 5000 pack will be here in time for Tuesday club racing tomorrow. Do you suggest that I charge and then warm the battery, or warm the battery while charging?

Follow what Tony is reccomending as I have no actual data on warming it up prior to charging or only on the discharge.

Thanks for the info Tony as this is actual ontrack testing which is better than my GFX testing but that also means improvement on GFX numbers results in better ontrack performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.