R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #631
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My new nick name is "The Blur"....because that all Marco saw when my Mi3 lapped him in the main...twice

Seriously though your car looked good and you had crazy power with your SP 13.5. You gotta ditch that one way though. A spool and a little less speed getting into corners and it would have been much closer.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #632
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
My new nick name is "The Blur"....because that all Marco saw when my Mi3 lapped him in the main...twice

Seriously though your car looked good and you had crazy power with your SP 13.5. You gotta ditch that one way though. A spool and a little less speed getting into corners and it would have been much closer.
I know i was just trying something new your car was ballistic in the main ,it sucks getting hacked!! rematch next week!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #633
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I got some time on my car this weekend.

First off finishing of the build. The shocks build super super smooth I couldnt believe it. I have not ran bladder shocks in a while and now thats all I want. My kit was lacking the ball stud and stick tape for the servo so I had to make some things work. I had to switch out one of the ends to a standard shock end then drill out the hole for the ball stud and use a 4-40 bolt and nut. I also decided to hard mount the servo by milling down an aluminum servo mount for an associated off road car.

I decided to build the car and set it up as per the stock set up. I am running on Ozite carpet that is relatively fresh and we just changed the track layout so the grip is low to mid for ozite. I went to mount up my tires for the first time and found out that 28 mil tires will not fit. They fit on the front but I had to fire up my tire lathe and cut two mils off the front tires.

Finally got the car on the track using Double pink orange Jaco Prisms in the front and double pink in the rear. The car was kind of a handfull with this set-up and I was semi worried about the purchase. I kept tweaking and the first thing I did was lower the whole car. I found out that my ride height could only go to about 4 to 4.5. mil the left rear. I am using a brushless motor and 3200 Carbon pack lipos so the lighter weight is probably the reason for the higher ride height.

They car got alot better but was still pushing on entry then as the car loaded up in the corner it would just violently snap loose. Next thing I did was went to about .5 degrees of negative camber in the rear 1 degree in the front 2 degrees toe in in the front. This made the car more predictable on entry but was still facing bad snap oversteer.

I then layed the rear shocks down as much as i could. I added an ounce of lead to the left rear this basically balanced the car out. I got the ride height to 4 mils all the way around. This made the car turn in well exit good and some times good in the middle some times not.

Finally I emptied the shocks and put 60 wt in the front and 50 wt in the rear. I could now roll through the corner and carry a ton of speed.

I set the fastest race lap by about half a second and lead the first 2 minutes of the main until the lap traffic got in the way. Tucked the body and slow marshal ended up putting me a lap down. After that I was pretty much done and finished 3rd.

The car that won was a JRXs and I killed him from entry to middle and we were equal coming out. I was very pleased with the car as I have only gotten a little bit of speed out of it. I plan to get springs and sway bars and then play with the rear roll center. I think the car is going to be amazing and will be a great car.
RCRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #634
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

RCRIOT,

Which version E4 did you buy? I will be getting mine sometime this week or so.

Thanks,
Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
So Adrian, you were saying that Layouts like the Type R and TM E4 dont work?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #636
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
they work my car was really good but a couple of hacks in the first few corners(and some sleeping turnmarshals) and i had to work my way back from the pack
Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #637
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Wolf,

Email sent... TM car look to be an awsome machine

Ronald
CrazyRonny
http://www.crazyrcshop.com
CrazyRonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #638
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Hey guys, ran my E4 this weekend. Felt great, only problem was one of our track barrier's reached out and grabbed the car, lol. Broke a front arm. It was a hard hit though. Anyway, where are you guys getting your parts at here in the states? Wolfhobbies I know sells them. Is there anyone else? I seen you could order them from rcshopping.com or something but it looks like it's overseas so I'm wondering what kind of shipping fee they're gonna charge. Anyone ever deal with them? Thanks.

Last edited by harjo; 02-18-2008 at 05:34 PM.
harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #639
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjo View Post
Hey guys, ran my E4 this weekend. Felt great, only problem was one of our track barrier's reached out and grabbed the car, lol. Broke a front arm. It was a hard hit though. Anyway, where are you guys getting your parts at here in the states? Wolfhobbies I know sells them. Is there anyone else? I seen you could order them from rcshopping.com or something but it looks like it's overseas so I'm wondering what kind of shipping fee they're gonna charge. Anyone ever deal with them? Thanks.
I order from Wolf Hobbies and i get my parts within 3 days!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #640
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
lol i think thats Jason's new nick name after today!!
After getting hacked by all you clowns constantly i decided to join in. Next time i will come prepared with a spool and propper setup and show you how its done.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #641
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
After getting hacked by all you clowns constantly i decided to join in. Next time i will come prepared with a spool and propper setup and show you how its done.
bring it
Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Quote:
bring it
Somebody needs to get that on video & you tube........................
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #643
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Somebody needs to get that on video & you tube........................
Yeah video would help us decide.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #644
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
I was being nice. All things being equal the Type-R and E4 will never be as good as a mass centralized, cells down the side car...and even they could be better.

Think of it this way...grab a broomstick in the middle and try to spin it back and forth. Then cut it into 4 equal lengths, bundle them up, grab them in the middle and spin them. You will be able to spin the bundle faster even though it weighs the same since the mass of the object is more centered.

This manifests itself in the Type-R and E4 has resistance to initiate turns and stop turning.

Can a Type-R or E4 win races, sure...any car and win a race sooner or later. Are drivers of these cars startiung out with a disadvantage, yes...its simple physics.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #645
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
bring it
Enjoy it while you can. Some things only happen once.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote