Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
I really don't understand why people are so against home made cars in this particular segment (though TC generally has never been keen on them). I've spent a lot of time and energy on mine and its a 100% legal car so why should I not be allowed to race it because of some misguided thought that somehow a home built car is in some way not in the spirit of everything?? Frankly, after 25 or so years the only thing that keeps me interested in this hobby is my interest in building my own stuff.
first off. Kudos mate. Me also being a veteran in the hobby. Keep it up.

Personally I am a fan as well. As this brings more diversity and out of the box thinking from a design perspective.
Also making this more a model building hobby aside from model racing (kits).

I can see the downside especially nowadays as information ideas are easily found/nicked and replicated with the easier availability off 3D printers and small size milling machines

Downside: not so much homemade but more custom made/build using expensive rare composites etc etc making some cars soooo expensive in a costly hobby anyways
if a custom costly unique design will dominate then there would be no fun left for most racers

just my 2cents

ShadowAu likes this.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by simple
Just to make it more interesting, most of us run mega thick diff oil (5-10 million cst), almost fluidly locking the diff.
I didn't like the feel of the spool on a tight track carpet track with medium traction. Turn-in seemed to suffer.
I have a hard time finding the million+ fluids.
Which brands carry these?
Would you mind sharing you r technique in dealing with these solid-ish sticky oils?
Getting it out the container and your filling routine for the diff.
Appreciate it.

Last edited by PizzaDude; 10-24-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eevul
At the end of the day, it's up to us racers and clubs to decide what we can run. Just because some other entity allows certain things, it doesn't mean that your club needs to. Being in Canada, I will probably never enter an ETS race so it doesn't matter what those guys do over there. I can tell you this though, in our club, we allow all chassis unless it's home-made. We are hobbyists after all and we just want to have a little fun at the end of a long week of boring work. Let's all have some fun and stop bickering about meaningless things.
Almost done ‘ranting’ replying your guys posts in the FWD topic🤪.

Even in Europe a lot of racers only attent a single or none ETS race.
No need for any club to bent and yield to any big series’ rules.
Though there are some advantages imho.
In general because of the large number of racers attending, Tires and ESC&Motor, etc are being ‘tested’ quite a bit. Also the rest of the format in general will show it s pro’s and con’s. That is - for most racers, as never will all rc racers agree in general.

Biggest advantage I find is that items used in ETS are quite good available.

And on the FWD topic. I really like the tires and the HW 17.5 RPM limited set.

just shiming in...another 2 cents...
Old 10-24-2019, 03:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PizzaDude

Would you mind sharing you r technique in dealing with these solid-ish sticky oils?
Appreciate it.
https://www.teamgravityrc.com/HEAVY-WEIGHT-SILICONE-c15430084
PizzaDude likes this.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would you mind sharing your technique in dealing with these solid-ish sticky oils?
Appreciate it.
Ofna sells "Diff Locking Lube"....I have some in my pit bag, although I don't recall the cst of it.
As Hanulec mentioned, Team Gravity link .
I currently use 2.5m in the diff of my VBC FF17.
Team Gravity includes a nice little plastic large volume syringe to suck up the lube and deposit into the diff during assembly. The process is tedious, so you need patience. It needs to slowly ooze into the internals and allow air to escape up and out....it takes a while to get the volume right, otherwise you risk blowing seals or stripping screws. I would remove small amounts by plunging a tooth pick or nail into the lube and allow it to settle again before attempting reassembly.
Because of the nature of removal (disassemble, invert, and let it ooze out over several hours), and the VBC parts relative in-expense, I kept 2 pre-assembled diffs with different viscosity (2.5m and 20m) on the pit table when I was testing.
I refresh once each season.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really don't understand why people are so against home made cars in this particular segment (though TC generally has never been keen on them). I've spent a lot of time and energy on mine and its a 100% legal car so why should I not be allowed to race it because of some misguided thought that somehow a home built car is in some way not in the spirit of everything?? Frankly, after 25 or so years the only thing that keeps me interested in this hobby is my interest in building my own stuff.
As I mentioned, to each their own. If your club allows it, it's cool. It wasn't meant as a negative. I rather avoid the drama of people complaining about home-made cars if that driver happens to be faster than the other and blames the car for it. I have nothing against people building and playing with their home-made cars. The issue is that when our club is running a point series, we would get complaints that the car is not off the shelf, etc.If people would just focus on racing and having fun, it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Appreciate it.
Gravity RC has 1mil and 2.5 mil diff lube as well. I was running 1mil on my FWD and it was pretty good. I was going to try 2.5 mil but I went with a spool instead. For getting it out, sometimes a syringe is required depending on the container.

Last edited by eevul; 10-24-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the feedback
Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Reminds me of the Custom Works Steering rack from the DD Intimidator.

lets add a pic of the new conversion... wonder how this will go over with the ETS crowd...

Are those actually brass? Or maybe anodized aluminum to brass/gold? Brass is heavy and soft. Deforms easily compared to aluminum.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:43 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
Are those actually brass? Or maybe anodized aluminum to brass/gold? Brass is heavy and soft. Deforms easily compared to aluminum.
yes they are brass...need weights provide the front traction grip
Old 10-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bloke
Probably to do with whichever manufacturers are commercially involved in the event.

I can't imagine the likes of Xray would want to be beaten by something homemade.

I'm not against something homemade, but I can see why they're frowned upon.
... The issue is that when our club is running a point series, we would get complaints that the car is not off the shelf, etc.
To my mind neither of these arguments hold water - Xray don't try to get Mugen or Tamiya banned from an event if they get beaten so why should a self made chassis be seen as something different? We don't go around banning particular brands of motors simply because someone starts winning with them. We also don't see this sort of problem (or at least to nowhere near the same degree) in classes like F1 or 1/12, in fact its almost encouraged.

]If people would just focus on racing and having fun, it wouldn't be an issue.
There is the crux of it - far to many people involved in RC think they are racing for sheep stations when in reality its, more and more frequently, a $5 piece of perspex with a sticker on it.

The reality is that a self made car is very rarely going to come along and blow everyone away and if it does, you probably need to look at the driver as much as the car. Its highly unlikely the a self taught, undiscovered Gordon Murry or Adrian Newey is tinkering away in his shed with a dremel and a drill press (and more frequently these days a cheap cnc and 3d printer) reinventing the RC car as we know it and people just need to get over themselves and get on with racing.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Downside: not so much homemade but more custom made/build using expensive rare composites etc etc making some cars soooo expensive in a costly hobby anyways
And just where do we get them? - I have enough issues just getting 7075 Aluminium in practical hobby amounts - I couldn't imagine trying to get anything more exotic
if a custom costly unique design will dominate then there would be no fun left for most racers
As I said above - the reality of that happening is so remote that really it shouldn't even come into considerations. There is a reason why all the major brand's cars look the same and have similar layouts - because they work and have had hours and hours of track testing before going on sale. I still think its an exception, rather than regular, that someone is going to knock something up in their shed that is going to blow everyone else away

The reason most people build stuff themselves is for the technical challenge of doing it and learning the skills that go along with it - not because they are some uber-engineer in secret re-inventing the world.
Nicadrauspro4 and DaSilva3525 like this.

Last edited by ShadowAu; 10-24-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Calmed my language down a bit
Old 10-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Frankly I find it near ludicrous that people can seriously imagine (and be fearful) that someone knocking something together in their back shed is going to come out and blow everything else away.
I guess Gerd Strenge's 4wd buggies don't count, or the Vega buggy Conversions... just saying, that is all.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I guess Gerd Strenge's 4wd buggies don't count, or the Vega buggy Conversions... just saying, that is all.
I am not going to harp on about it - there is always going to be an exception somewhere if you look hard enough - and even these examples I only worked out what you were talking about when I realised the associations (I have little interest in off road)... and the Vega conversions things I've never heard of or seen here though its obvious the influence they've had; and even then - how long had Gerd been developing his car? 10 years I saw mentioned in one story when I did quick read up on it. It also shows that as soon as anything truly good comes along it gets copied almost immediately so any advantage, perceived or otherwise, is pretty short lived.

I believe my basic point still stands regardless - why make a distinction between someone building something (radical) in their back shed or a "company" producing something like the original Gizmo or Serpent with its "radical" suspension in its recent TC cars. Just like Gerd in your examples I'll happily make someone a copy of my cars if they are willing to pony up the $$$ and wait the time it takes to make one.

Last edited by ShadowAu; 10-24-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

And just where do we get them? - I have enough issues just getting 7075 Aluminium in practical hobby amounts - I couldn't imagine trying to get anything more exotic

As I said above - the reality of that happening is so remote that really it shouldn't even come into considerations. There is a reason why all the major brand's cars look the same and have similar layouts - because they work and have had hours and hours of track testing before going on sale. I still think its an exception, rather than regular, that someone is going to knock something up in their shed that is going to blow everyone else away

The reason most people build stuff themselves is for the technical challenge of doing it and learning the skills that go along with it - not because they are some uber-engineer in secret re-inventing the world.
This is by far the best explanation I have read. Kudos to you sir.
ShadowAu likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.