Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

That looks so nice! The only thing I suggest you do is cut the axles down so it dont stick proud of the wheels, less chance if it catching a board and spitting you out
Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Shop Owner

Originally Posted by macscac
Anyone with the FF2014, what pinion did you start/end up with?
Finally getting around to writing this thing together!
Going to run a 13.5 in it. Just need an idea for a starting point with the stock spur
Thanks!!

Are you running blinky or boost? We run them here boosted at our local track, and we use 23t 48p pinion. Depending on grip and tires a bigger pinion might be better as it cures the wheelspin problem.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice!Just cut the axles down so they don`t stand out beyond the wheels
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

First off. Macscac that's a dope looking car dude. Real nice man. Now here's my thing. I have a Tamiya m05 mini cooper I bought probably 5 years ago. Used to race it indoor on carpet but only for Maybe 2 or 3 months....so my experience is very limited at this point. I love the car, starting to try and get my daughter to like them too so we can race and build together eventually. Now here's my questions and I thank anyone in advance for their help!
1. It's a basically stock m05 other than replacing the front upright control arms, oil shocks, ball bearings in only the wheels and steering. I'm looking into brushless for some more get up and go.
Is this model worth upgrading as much as I plan...differential pinion motor esc and maybe some suspension and bolts upgrades. Is it worth it??

2. If so what is recommended for the differential..gears..and pinion. Looking at 3750kv brushless with a lipo battery and yes I have a lipo alarm.

3.How do I calculate the gear ratios and such so that I know what I'm doing and don't have to Crack the car in half everytime because I mismatched something and destroyed dollars with dumb ness.

4. If it's not worth it to hop it up a little bit what is a better option that isn't to expensive.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

First off. Macscac that's a dope looking car dude. Real nice man. Now here's my thing. I have a Tamiya m05 mini cooper I bought probably 5 years ago. Used to race it indoor on carpet but only for Maybe 2 or 3 months....so my experience is very limited at this point. I love the car, starting to try and get my daughter to like them too so we can race and build together eventually. Now here's my questions and I thank anyone in advance for their help!
1. It's a basically stock m05 other than replacing the front upright control arms, oil shocks, ball bearings in only the wheels and steering. I'm looking into brushless for some more get up and go.
Is this model worth upgrading as much as I plan...differential pinion motor esc and maybe some suspension and bolts upgrades. Is it worth it??

2. If so what is recommended for the differential..gears..and pinion. Looking at 3750kv brushless with a lipo battery and yes I have a lipo alarm.

3.How do I calculate the gear ratios and such so that I know what I'm doing and don't have to Crack the car in half everytime because I mismatched something and destroyed dollars with dumb ness.

4. If it's not worth it to hop it up a little bit what is a better option that isn't to expensive.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Ok so I have a Tamiya m05 mini. I'm looking into upgrading the whole car.. is it worth it. Or is a different car a better idea. I'm looking brushless and pinion..gears..differential and tighten the suspension up. I used to track the car at a carpet track bit that was 5yrs ago...not to experienced but have done A LOT of reading. I don't race the car so it's just a pavement pounder for now. Any help is appreciated guys...thanks!!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Won't post test post
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
Ok on the MTS FF.
1) the body mounts are in the same place as the Tamiya FF cars from the box. You can mount body mounts on the bumper. Remove the screws washers and spacers that hold the foam bumper and put some xray style body mounts on it. It has the hex moulded in to keep them from turning.
2) Yeah the suspension arms are a little more weak then say an Xray but equal to my VBC and Tamiya cars. If it is an issue Xray arms and casterblocks fit perfect.
3) the 4 option sets of springs are less then $5 a set so $20 bucks for all of the springs, if thats a big deal you need another hobby.
4) The car is backed by Team Powers, they 4wd MTS car should be here this month sometime. Even if they stop making it I can fit enough Xray parts on it to make it last.
5) The cars diff comes prefilled, with what I have no idea, I have since been told it is 1 millon CST, but really would you really take a prebuilt car with unknow fluids and just install your electrics, then race? I took mine apart and rebuilt it so I knew what fluids are in it and that all of the screws are tight.

Some common sense here, it a $173 car (from Rc mart). You can't open the box and expect Tamiya and Xray quality, for that price. It is a really great product when you consider it's price point. The fact that is seems to be beating all of the other FWD cars is a bonus.
x2

Day one i run the car with stock out of the box I just install the swaybars and ajust droop and camber and I do only 0.4 sec slower than my ARC R10 2015 21.5 !! with my full hop up FF03 I can't do better than a nearly a sec !!!
Old 06-30-2015, 01:20 AM
Shop Owner

[QUOTE=macscac;14073848]grrr.. only 24-26 pinions i have are 64pitch..
ill start w/ a 23 and see how it goes.

got it all wired up.. looking forward to the next time i can get to the track!

When we ran ours at our local track, it had too much steering with the battery all the way backward. We liked it all the way forwards! What body will you be using?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Shop Owner

When we ran ours at the local track, it had way too much steering with the battery all the way backwards. It was much more predictable with the battery in the forwards position. What body will you be running?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 AM
Shop Owner

Originally Posted by macscac
grrr.. only 24-26 pinions i have are 64pitch..
ill start w/ a 23 and see how it goes.

got it all wired up.. looking forward to the next time i can get to the track!

ok
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Last edited by Quinny45; 07-01-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: web site problem
Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

just picked a sakura ff from rcmart...can't wait for it to get here
Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

looks like a few website issues on this thread lately!!

yeah.. i have to cut those axles down.. they stick out considerably.
my bodies still haven't shown up yet. i ordered one of the new protoform dodge dart bodies for the car.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

does the sakura ff use metric or standard pinion gears ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.