Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Adding 5 ounces is difficult enough and there's almost no place to put the weight but on the battery . It also helps keep the car balanced side to side as it was with the nimh's as well.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thanks for the support Syndrome; I think everyone posting on the subject is seeing the flaw with this ruling
Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Thanks for the support Syndrome; I think everyone posting on the subject is seeing the flaw with this ruling
Hopefully ROAR will address the rule, or clarify it at least. I'd pretty much have to skip a ROAR event if I couldn't put weights on the battery, 'cause I'm not gonna buy a new car just to fit them on the chassis.

After some of the stuff I've seen in the SMC LiPo thread tonight, I'm feeling pretty exasperated over this whole LiPo thing. Maybe it's just shock. I hope we don't rue the day the unwashed masses joined us, 'cause it's starting to look ugly.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LOL... hope that doesn't happen, though it crossed my mind too, I admit.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can't please everyone. I know I'll be running brushless and lipo at the Roar Nats in June with my 416. Got it all figured out too for weight. At least on my car.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Can't please everyone. I know I'll be running brushless and lipo at the Roar Nats in June with my 416. Got it all figured out too for weight. At least on my car.
This is an easy one to get right and please the MAJORITY brah
Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
Adding 5 ounces is difficult enough and there's almost no place to put the weight but on the battery . It also helps keep the car balanced side to side as it was with the nimh's as well.
you can always create a carbon fiber battery bar that's the same length and width of the battery itself and modify that to clear anything that makes up the centerline of the chassis.

Right there you'd have plenty of space to add weight.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Electric On Road Committee is evaluating solutions for this issue. Please be paitient, this rule is more problematic in TC, then it is in Off Road.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Nice to hear that Tim
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hopefully ROAR will address the rule, or clarify it at least. I'd pretty much have to skip a ROAR event if I couldn't put weights on the battery, 'cause I'm not gonna buy a new car just to fit them on the chassis.

After some of the stuff I've seen in the SMC LiPo thread tonight, I'm feeling pretty exasperated over this whole LiPo thing. Maybe it's just shock. I hope we don't rue the day the unwashed masses joined us, 'cause it's starting to look ugly.

This is sad to read.

Basically, the rule is there preventing people from adding weight for pre tech, removing it to race and then replacing for post tech. Adding to the battery is the easiest way to remove weight and re add it at the end of the run. The rule states mounted to the chassis as its not so easy to remove and replace with slight of hand.

If ROAR didn't do everything possible to insure fairness, can you just imagine the bashing at that point? C'mon... this is no easy task... as it wasn't easy getting to you BL rules and Lipo rules as the entire membership asked for....

Its a problem, yes.. and it is being addressed.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
This is sad to read.

Basically, the rule is there preventing people from adding weight for pre tech, removing it to race and then replacing for post tech. Adding to the battery is the easiest way to remove weight and re add it at the end of the run. The rule states mounted to the chassis as its not so easy to remove and replace with slight of hand.

If ROAR didn't do everything possible to insure fairness, can you just imagine the bashing at that point? C'mon... this is no easy task... as it wasn't easy getting to you BL rules and Lipo rules as the entire membership asked for....

This is my method Dawn.... no amount of 'slight of hand' would accomplish what you're describing.

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Why don't check the car weight after each heat and each final ?
Pick 3 cars who finished 1, 2, 3, and 1 car at random. Those cars will be announced by race director and the drivers must present their car for weight inspection before going back to their desk.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
This is sad to read.

Dawn,

I didn't mean that to sound threatening, like change it or else. It's just that I don't think I can get all that weight secured to the chassis of my car, and if I could, what would it do to the handling? The rule makes a lot more sense when you explain it that way, though. Hopefully there can be some middle ground.

In reality, rather than skip a race or buy a new car, I'd probably just get some NiMH (eeek!) and race with those. I'm a fan of ROAR these days, and will be joining in a few weeks when I move to a ROAR club. I think you've done a fine job here, and have restored people's confidence in the organization with your leadership. Thank you for everything you've done, and for surrounding yourself with the best people in the business.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Why don't check the car weight after each heat and each final ?
Pick 3 cars who finished 1, 2, 3, and 1 car at random. Those cars will be announced by race director and the drivers must present their car for weight inspection before going back to their desk.
Every car in every class should be checked for minimum weight before and after every heat and main! Any car that comes in under the minimum weight after a race should be DQ for that race. This is the only way to insure fairness.

I also think that in carpet racing minimum ride height should also be checked before and after, but there's some debate to this. The way I feel, if you come in after a race lower than legal, then you were too low during the race, and therefore breaking the rules.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know if this is totally possible but the design sounds good. Make a plate, attaching (screw) rectangular weights to it that fit into the generic battery slots and screw the plate down from the top of the tray into/onto the chassis (or wait, drill a hole through the plate and the battery post can hold it down). the weights wont hang down below the chassis and your battery cg is still lower than a nimhs. any dremel wizard can spend a few minutes hacking this out. any aftermarket supplier could make a couple bucks off this. you guys make me almost want to go into business. You could alter plate density/thickness or weight material/size to get the weight balance you need.

and the guys using the cell emulating packs, flip it over like offroaders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.