Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
so does Harbor Freight.. for less than $10.00.

Lipo Charging Sacks will be mandatory at ROAR sanctioned events. I only hope track affiliates understand WHY the rule is in place for their protection and enforce the use nationwide.

Anywhere an EXCOM member is present, you can bet a charging sack will be looked for in the pit areas.
Anybody know the part number for the Harbor Freight lipo sack? I went there today, and they couldn't find it in their database. ... Thanks Dawn and ROAR for being dilligent with safety issues.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just found the link I had to the Harbor Freight and Tool fireproof bag I had. It now shows "The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued". The item number I have is 96597
Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

double post

Last edited by Fran; 01-19-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: double post
Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply I'll check local stock today.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default adding the weight

So what's up with this rule of "no weights one the pack"?

Is this a rule? I don't remember reading this in the minutes.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
So what's up with this rule of "no weights one the pack"?

Is this a rule? I don't remember reading this in the minutes.
not in the minutes.. has been a rule for years now... I posted it on a thread here somewhere.. the actual rule.. I'll find it again...
Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

5.2.6 Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight
requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle chassis. If such
ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at
the post race technical inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run. For all fuel
classes, chassis weights must be securely mounted with solid mechanical fasteners such
as bolts or screws.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
MaxAmps' timing seems opportunistic at best.
I was talking with MaxAmps about 2 1/2 or 3 months ago about these hard cases or skins, well BEFORE the whole ROAR debate came up so I wouldnt say opportunistic just good timimng.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Max Amps had the skins going WAY before ROAR even considered gettting these BL rules done for 2008.

I was talking to Austin months ago in regards to what the Cactus Classic was going to do regarding Lipo....yep, months ago....
Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
5.2.6 Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight
requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle chassis. If such
ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at
the post race technical inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run. For all fuel
classes, chassis weights must be securely mounted with solid mechanical fasteners such
as bolts or screws.
This rule needs to be revised.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
This rule needs to be revised.
My sentiments exactly!! I've brought that up before but no one responded. I don't have room on my chassis to accomodate all the weight needed. I have shoe-goo'ed the weights to my lipos and used electrical tape to support the batts even further....

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I started to respond to Maxamps' claims and reasons against hard cases and decided what's the point. I have only 1 question:
If a maxamps pack without a case is punctured or damaged through user error, will maxamps replace the pack free? As an add-on, if that same damaged pack ignites and causes damage, is there insurance in place to pay for the damages caused by the product which doesn't have a built in safety feature (hard case) to greatly reduce the biggest issue with lipo safety-> fires as a result of physical pack damage?

I had an incedent with my Max Amps lipo last week end where I took a REALLY hard hit and my lipo ended up into my pinnion gear and dented it and tore the outer rapping on it and exposed the cells. ( Totally My Fault) I called Josh at MaxAmps and told him the whole story and he said to send it in and he'll check it out fix it and rerap it for me for $0.00. I'm going to have them put the skin on it at my cost but the rest he's doing for free.

Thats better than ANY other comapany would do. I had sells go bad on my nimh ( not my fault ) That I couldnt get replaced. So I'M VERY happy with what Max Amps is doing.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JayBee
My sentiments exactly!! I've brought that up before but no one responded. I don't have room on my chassis to accomodate all the weight needed. I have shoe-goo'ed the weights to my lipos and used electrical tape to support the batts even further....
I'm with you, my pack looks very similar. It stands to reason that if it's the battery that's lighter, the battery is where you'd want to put the weight. Otherwise, you risk upsetting the balance of the car (since they're still designed for NiMH). Plus, many chassis simply don't have room to add the weight elsewhere, as you pointed out. If the concern with this rule is about a center of gravity advantage, then the Type-R needs to be outlawed as well.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this is an immediate concern as basically everybody that runs LiPo weights their packs out of necessity.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

In November Max Amps seemed pretty against the idea of shells on their packs.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=189586

There is no reason to change the weight rule, just figure out how to attach weight to the chassis. Under the top plate? Under the drive belts? It's actually an advantage. By having to add weight to get to legal minimum you get to choose where it goes. If you're still running Nimh you have no choice about where it goes.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

You can also run right at the minimum limit, even with BL electronics, a normal body, steel screws, etc. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.