Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo-Lead weight plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
What if you were gluing or taping lugs to the bottom of the pack to help lock it in and that these lugs just happened to be made out of lead?
They are. :-( The nexus lead weights are coated with some sort of plastic film, however, to reduce the exposure.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
oh, I agree...

but adding weigth to the pack itself changes your center of gravity and is a pure advantage in handling.. we all know that....

Not saying the rule is accurate in today's methods.. but it is there and has been for at least three years.
Ah, I see. Today's chassis that aren't so LiPo friendly lead us to stick weight wherever it will fit. I appreciate the rule, and will surely follow it at big races, but that might be one I bend at the club level if they allow it. :-) Some of these sedan chassis just don't have enough room to add 1/2lb of weight somewhere other than the battery with hopes of maintaining balance. Plus, the vast majority of the weight on my pack is on the sides and top, so I don't realize much of a CoG benefit, if at all.

Also, the Losi car has a steel LiPo tray available that puts 100% of the added weight below the battery, and mounts in as part of the chassis. This is the ultimate CoG advantage, and would be legal by your definition. I understand the intention of the rule, but if CoG is your major concern, it may be flawed considering that example.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think there will be a work around that will satisfy both the rules and our desire to have all the weight as low as possible. I will be non-ROAR compliant once the rules come out as I am not running a hardcase LiPo and I have about 150 grams secured to the bottom of the battery.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

SO, how is adding weight to the bottom of a LiPo any different from sanding the battery slots in the chassis to sit the packs lower?

Not arguing, just asking.....
Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Unless I'm missing something... Dawn is only pointing out that your car won't pass post-race tech if your weight falls out of the car, so it needs to be installed securely.

I hope ROAR would not try to control such simple things as how a racer gets his car to make minimum weight.

Nice work on legalizing lipos btw....
Old 01-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Unless I'm missing something... Dawn is only pointing out that your car won't pass post-race tech if your weight falls out of the car, so it needs to be installed securely.

I hope ROAR would not try to control such simple things as how a racer gets his car to make minimum weight.

Nice work on legalizing lipos btw....
I dont know. Sounds like she is saying it must be on the chassis and not the battery.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mkdut
I think there will be a work around that will satisfy both the rules and our desire to have all the weight as low as possible. I will be non-ROAR compliant once the rules come out as I am not running a hardcase LiPo and I have about 150 grams secured to the bottom of the battery.
Mike I talked with MaxAmps today, Austin is sending some hard cases up for us for the 6000 packs , do you need 5000 cases?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
I dont know. Sounds like she is saying it must be on the chassis and not the battery.
Yea, that's the impression I got, too. If that's only because of CoG, I think the Type-R pretty much shatters that theory.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default New stock...

We have plenty in stock now, including the new thinner 1 ounce plates. The thin plates are nice for a little extra tuning ability.

Also... we have some 3/4 oz. pieces to fit in front of/behind the battery (where the foam is for offroad cars).

And as one racer requested... I have a couple sets of small weights that fit the bottom of the Orion 3200 pack. (like in the pic posted by someone a few posts ago) They go between the bumps, so they fit into the slots of the chassis cutouts in onroad cars. Set of 6 weighs 1.5 carpet-scraping ounces.

Now with a 3 piece set (4,2,1 ounce plates) you have a lot of options, especially with the 3/4 oz. "battery foam" pieces, and the fact that the plates can be cut in half to fit on the side of a battery if you want.

I'll get pics and prices posted pretty soon.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcarmchl
how thick are these plates? just curious that if I put this on a 4800 if it will still fit in my cyclone.
Sorry.. don't think this got answered yet.

4 oz = 1.7mm
2 oz = 1mm
1 oz = .5mm

I don't know much about the onroad cars, but I know some cars require modding just to fit a harcase lipo by itself.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

try putting 8oz on a corally phi and a orion 3200 just fits snug without weight
Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

I can get 4.5 oz on the 3200 pack without affecting the fit at all... with the small slot weights on the bottom and the plates in the top cavity.

I'm guessing there would be room on the side for a strip if you want more? Is it a tight fit in width and length too?

I do have one more thing up my sleeve for this situation... might post something later in the week.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
oh, I agree...

but adding weigth to the pack itself changes your center of gravity and is a pure advantage in handling.. we all know that....

Not saying the rule is accurate in today's methods.. but it is there and has been for at least three years.
Depends on where the weight is. If someone puts it on top then center of gravity will be worse. There is no better center of gravity then weight bolted direct to the chassis, most of the battery sits higher so that theory highly depends on many variables.

Roar needs to lighten up on this issue...the weight going to LiPo has to be made up, and the battery is the obvious central position that it needs to go back on. Try stacking 6-7 oz of weight on one side of most chassis and there just isn't enough room period.

I can understand enforcing the "under weight at race end" cuz it fell off...that's it.

Last edited by Verndog; 01-20-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

I like a lot of what ROAR is doing but I agree some of the new rules are trying too hard... getting into areas that really don't or at least shouldn't matter. There must be reasons why the rules are written the way they are, it's just not always obvious. I'm just glad they are including lipos and brushless.

I remember only about 3 years ago that most guys at the track had no clue what a "lipo" was.... and the few that did, had never seen or run one. I had them but it was uncommon... a sort of "experimental" and mysterious thing.

Just 1 year ago... a few guys had them and I got them allowed at my track.. but the main racers (the fast guys...) wouldn't be caught dead running them. It was still too new and voodoo.... (offroad)

Now.... almost everyone at the track either has one and many are converting over completely to lipo. Even the old-school hardcore fast guys. It's amazing.....
Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a pic of the slot set of weights... a bit fuzzy but does the job